Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend In Trouble (Death Could Be Involved)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend In Trouble (Death Could Be Involved)

So, she may not want to, but I'm thinking of taking my friend in. She's getting physically abused at home and yesterday she told me something that I'm not sure I should share on here but they did something that could have killed her. They are very violent and I want to take her home with us so she can get away from there but she's VERY reluctant and hesitant because when I asked if she wanted to she said, "No. Because good luck having your mom in jail"
    She's a minor, only 15, but I REALLY think she needs to get out of that house and her parents need to be punished by law.
    The only problem is we live in Idaho and, from what I've seen, I believe "runaways" will only be taken back to their home by police and we could get sued or in trouble for taking her. But what if she came willingly?
    I'm not sure what to do, how to get her guardians in trouble, if I can take her in and... so I'm not sure.
    PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us today. I’m sorry your friend is going through such a hard time at home, but it’s great that you’re supporting her and e-mailing us today. You sound like a really concerned friend, and we’re here to help answer your questions as best as we can.

Because she is a minor, a runaway report could be made and she could be brought back home. Even if she willingly left home, there could still be consequences involved and she would have to return home to her parents who have legal custody. As you mentioned, it is possible that there would be consequences for you if you take in your friend. This is harboring a runaway, and there are some legal issues involved with that.

There is the option of reporting the abuse that has been happening at home. The youth herself would need to make the abuse report. This can be done by calling your local police or social service agency. We can provide you with numbers/resources if you contact us again: we have a chat service from 4:30-11:30 pm central time, if you feel more comfortable talking via the computer. We also are available to talk via the phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are 24/7 and always willing to listen and help in the best way that we can.

We are sorry to hear what your friend has been going through. It sounds like you’re in a confusing situation of how to help, but you took a great step in reaching out to us today.

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X