18, Should i move out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18, Should i move out?

So i turned 18 about 4 months ago, and im really debating about moving out of my parents house. Here is some background information: I have a job, so i can afford the things i need, my parents are very very strict, im not allowed to hang out with friends, only certain friends can come over but they must leave my house by 7:30pm. My bedtime is 8:30pm. By 9pm my tv must be turned off and my cell phone is taken away. My dad has had a past of being physically abusive towards me, and i believe it is starting to come back. Im constantly getting called stupid, and "might as well become a hobo because im going nowhere in life" although i am a full time college student. The catch is, that if i move out i would be moving in with my boyfriend of 2 years and a roommate.

What are your guys thoughts and opinion of my situtation, should i stay, should i move out?

If my parents do disown me, i have already talked with my boyfriends family, and they said they would be willing to help with whatever i needed.

re: 18, Should i move out?

Hi and thanks for using our bulletins. It sounds like things are rough for you at home with how your parents are treating you and some of the rules/expectations that they have. Although we are not legal experts, in most places at the age of 18, you are legally able to move out on your own. It sounds like you have some concerns about the stability of where your housing may be. One option you have if your boyfriend or room-mates don’t work out is always to consider a transitional living type program. They are generally really comprehensive programs that provide support and resources for young adults to transition from living within the TLP to ultimately being independent and living on their own. If you have other questions or would like more information on those types of resources, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day. You can also chat with us from 4:30-11:30pm CST. Take care.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X