Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17 1/2 yrs. old, I need to leave already though.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 1/2 yrs. old, I need to leave already though.

I turn 18 in 6 months, my pops is a strict old school person & will do everything to find me and get me back home. I can't hide because he knows I go to school and will find me there. What can I do? Can I live with someone else for the meantime? Should I contact a lawyer and ask him questions?

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us about what’s going on. It sounds like you are thinking of leaving home and it’s great that have contacted us for assistance. We hope to be able to provide you with some assistance so you can stay safe. Unfortunately, we aren’t legally trained so we can’t say for sure what would happen if you were to leave home but we can give you a general idea.

To begin with, can you tell us a little more about what’s going on? It sounds like you are thinking of leaving home but you said that your dad is old school so you are concerned that he will locate you. It also sounds like you are close to turning 18; in some places, when a youth is close to turning 18, the police are less likely to take a runaway report but they would be able to tell you for sure if they would or not. Generally speaking, if a youth is under 18, a parent or legal guardian may have the option to file a runaway report; running away is usually considered to be a status offense which is something you can’t do if you are a minor.

You mentioned that you can’t hide because he will then find you at school; it sounds like going to school is important to you. Is there anyone there that you feel comfortable talking to? That could be a teacher or counselor, someone that could provide you with support or assistance during this time.

You also asked if you would be able to live with someone else during this time and again, we aren’t legally trained so we can’t say for sure what would happen. But, it is our general understanding that if you were to stay with someone else and your dad found out, he may have the option to press charges for harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Unfortunately, we can’t say for sure what the consequences or possible charges for this may be.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are a confidential and anonymous hotline for youth. You can call us anytime if you would like to talk more about your situation or if you would like to find some additional resources such as legal aid or shelter. Our 24 hour hotline number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) but we also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM -11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you are more comfortable contacting us that way; the chat can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My father is really verbally abusive in other words. I can't stand it mentally, i try my best to do my best & nothing's ever good enough. He constantly screams and treats me as if I weren't his child, but when I ask to leave the house he says no , not till I'm 18.
      Other problems are arising too, and I know things are gonna get more worst for me, and I don't want to be here to have to deal with it.
      Yeah I can speak to some teachers and counselors at school that' sounds great.

Comment

re: 17 1/2 yrs. old, I need to leave already though.

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about the way your father treats you. It sounds like you would like to leave because you fear that things will get worst. Remember if you cannot find a safe alternative housing, we can assist with trying to locate a safe place. It sounds like you may talk to your school counselors and/or teachers. Regardless of the outcome, you can always call us to talk about your situation and discuss other options. Resources and options may be dependent upon your city and state.

We would like to wish you the best of luck with things. And remember we can always be reached by dialing 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929)

Best Wishes
        ~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X