No announcement yet.

I never thought it would come to this.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never thought it would come to this.

I'm not to sure where to completely begin, but I'll try my best. I won't say my name but I am 17 years old, I turned 17 in August. I'm a junior in high school, I make wonderful grades and just to put it out I have never done drugs so I guess I can say I'm not a bad teenager. But my problem is I do not want to live at home anymore. Reason being is that I feel treated differently. I have a boyfriend that is currently 18. We have been together for almost a year and he makes me very happy honestly, but my father feels differently about him. He has told me that I am not allowed to talk or see him. Which I have been doing behind his back and my Dad recently found out about this. My mom on the other hand is very supportive and wants me to be very happy. But since my Dad found out about me and my boyfriend dating again he hasn't been supportive or happy for me at all. Do not get me wrong I love my Dad but honestly I do not understand why I need his permission to date someone I am already very happy with. Ever since my Dad found out he has barley says 3 words to me a day and treats me like I'm his enemy. I guess what I am trying to say here is that I don't like being treated the way my Dad has treated me and I wanted if I can legally move out of my parents house at 17? I have a job, and my own.bank account. I pay for most of my things so its not like if I moved in with anyone I couldn't pay for myself. I love in NC to be specific so I can have an actual age. It would just be a whole lot easier if I was on my own. Please write me back. Thank you so much. I really do need help.

re: I never thought it would come to this.

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about what has been going on between you and your father. It sounds like your father became upset with you after finding out that you were still dating your boyfriend. It seems that your mother is supportive and approves of your relationship with your boyfriend. Have you and your mom discussed your father reasons for not wanting you to date your boyfriend? It seems that there is a lot of tension within in your household which sounds uncomfortable. It sounds like you would want to move out because of you and your father’s relationship. Have you and your family considered family counseling to try and address the issues your father has with the relationship?
    You mentioned that you have a job, bank account, and pay for a lot of your own things. You are also attending school and earning good grades. It sounds like you are a very responsible teenager. It is unfortunate that you and your father cannot see eye to eye on this topic. It sounds like you care a lot about your boyfriend. Moving out can be a tough decision regardless of your age. In some states, you can legally move out at 17 while in others you have to be emancipated in order to do so. To determine if you can legally move out, you can contact your local law enforcement agency (non-emergency hotline) or a legal aid organization. The legal age a minor can move out varies by state and even sometimes by the county that individual resides in.

Children’s Law Center (704-331-9474) and North State Legal Services (919-732-8137) are two legal aid organizations located within North Carolina. We hope these organizations or your local law enforcement agency can answer your question.
    We hope the information provided helps. Remember our hotline is available 24/7 and can be reached by dialing 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is confidential, anonymous, and toll-free.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X