No announcement yet.

17 and wanting to leave my household

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 and wanting to leave my household

    Hi I've always had problems with my mother ranging from physical abuse to emotional and verbal. My father tried to get CPS involved but ultimately failed. My father passed away 10 months ago and although my mothers physical abuse has somewhat ceased the emotional and verbal is at an all time high and I can't take it anymore and it's getting to the point where I'd rather die than live here anymore and it dosnt help that my mother found out that I'm an agnostic athiest while she,herself, is a holy rolling Christian . My dad left his sister beneficiary over me in his will and she would willingly get custody if me. I want to know the laws in Louisiana on a 17 year old running away. Will they force the minor to return home and punish him/her or not worry like in other states. Also do you think the custody battle would work out in my favor? She also has drugs in the house nothing too bad just marihuana and she's an alcoholic and I've thought about my options and those are the only 2

  • #2
    RE: 17 and wanting to leave my household


    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about your father passing away. It sounds like you live in an abusive situation with your mother. It’s good to hear that the physical abuse has died down a little bit, though. Is there anyone you can talk to about what’s going on at home? Sometimes thinking about ways to stay away from the house can be helpful (hobbies, school, extracurricular activities).

    Have you thought about reporting this abuse on your own after your father tried to report it to CPS? Each report would vary, and CPS may or may not choose to investigate if a report is filed. If you would like help to file an abuse report, we at NRS would be able to do that for you at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

    It sounds like your aunt is a person you can talk to about what goes on at home. How does your mother feel about you living with her? Unfortunately, we are not legal experts so we can’t tell how the custody battle would play out. However, there are ways to be declared emancipated by a judge in Louisiana. Two services, Kisatchie Legal Services (#318-352-7220, open 8am-5pm Mon-Fri) and New Orleans Legal Assistance (#504-340-1381, open 8am-5pm Mon-Fri) would be able to help you with questions about emancipation and custody.

    Like we mentioned we are not legal experts, but we are able to talk about what might happen if you decide to leave home without your mom's permission at 17. In Louisiana, if you are under 18, your mom could file a runaway report and then the police would force you to return home. If you are not on probation or parole, you would not be arrested because it is not illegal to runaway.

    We hope this information helps. If you ever need to talk to us in person, you can contact us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you can't call in, you can chat with us through our website ( from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.

    Good luck to you,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove