I am 12 almost 13 and I want to run away

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am 12 almost 13 and I want to run away

Hello,

When going through a crisis, the first step is asking for help, so we here at NRS thank you for being brave and reaching out. It sounds like your home situation is very difficult. No one deserves to be verbally or physically abused. If you are ever worried for your immediate safety, please call 911. From what you’ve said, you’ve had to be very strong on your own.

You mentioned that you want to run away or kill yourself, and that you’ve tried to commit suicide in the past. We are so sorry you are going through this, and you do not have to face this alone. Besides us, you can always call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK. If you believe running away is your best option, you may want to think about the following:
    • Where you would go? Would you look into shelters or live with someone you know?
    • How would you take care of yourself? What would you do if you needed food?
    • Would you continue to stay in school?
    • How might your family react to you running away? How would you deal with their reactions?

The main thing is to think about your safety and what is best for you. We care about your well-being and we are here to support you. Please call or live chat us so we can talk about your situation more and provide you more resources if you would like.

Thank you,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

Hi I'm 12 and I also want to run away I meet this boy on-line and I want to live with him and I don't feel like I belong and my family. My brothers always mess with me and my parents always get mad at me for no reason I do think about commitng suicde alot but I never do pealse help.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult at home right now. Home should be a place where you feel safe and loved. We are here to help you explore your options.

Thank you for sharing with us how you have been feeling and how you have been coping with everything. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and we are here to support you. You mentioned that you have had suicidal thoughts. It’s understandable to feel overwhelmed in your current situation and to search for options. If you are currently having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself, you have the option of calling the National Suicide Hotline directly at 1-800-273-TALK or seeking urgent medical care.

Other options could be to speak with a school counselor or a therapist in your area about how you have been feeling and what has been going on at home. You could also speak with a trusted friend or family member about what you have been feeling. Sometimes speaking to someone about these things can help you work out some of these feelings in a safe manner. You are worthy and you deserve to be happy.

Some other options you could consider to help you cope with your situation at home and how you have been feeling is some self care options. Self care could include things like expressing your emotions through journaling or taking up a new hobby such as drawing or reading. You deserve to be safe and happy.

You also shared that you have thought about running away and going to stay with a boy you met online. It’s understandable for you to feel frustrated and want a change at home. While we are not legal experts, generally speaking if you were to run away or leave without your parent’s permission they could file a runaway report and if the police found you, they could make you go back home. So when considering your options of staying somewhere else for a period of time, for things to settle down at home, getting your parent’s permission would help you.

Some options to consider could be speaking with your parents about how you have been feeling at home. Other options could be seeing if there is any other family member or close friend that you could stay with for a while, with your parent’s permission. We could also help you look up youth shelters or alternative living arrangements (ALAs) in your area.

If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you.
        Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

Comment

Hi I;m twelve and I just am feeling really bad about myself. I feel like my family really doesn't like me event hough I know they do I don't feel good about myself and I already have a plan to run away and a note written but I just can't do it I think im going to run away and then return two or three days later. My parent's are not abusive or anything I just feel like I'm not good enough

Comment

Hi, thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you are in a difficult place and feel lost because you know your family cares about you, but you are struggling right now. It is difficult to think you aren’t good enough and it is a good step you have taken to talk about how you are feeling. If you haven’t planned yet, you might consider where you would go that is safe and how you would survive away from home. These are some things to think over as you seem hesitant in your plan and leaving home in general. These are things we can discuss, if you are comfortable, over our 24/7 and confidential phone lines (1-800-RUNAWAY) or on our online chat lines. We want to make sure whatever you decide to pursue, you are safe and in a good place. We hope to hear from you soon!
            Best, NRS

Comment

I am 12 almost 13 and I feel like I should run away.

My parents are divorced and nobody in my family gets me. Every time my mom complains about having to clean after everybody. I know other people have it worse but I don't say anything. She would yell at me if I did. The only thing keeping me back is that I would never see my dogs or my older half-brother again. I have trust issues so I went to see my school counselor about my depression I can't trust her either. Nobody understands me except my best friend which sometimes doesn't either. Her parents would accept me. My other option is stay and get help till I am old enough to move out.

Comment

This sounds like a very difficult and confusing situation, and it's difficult to know where to turn. Running away at your age can be scary and dangerous if you don't have a safe place to go. It's especially hard when you don't have anyone you can trust.. If you want to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929, we'd be glad to talk with you and help you figure out some options you can consider.

Comment

I'm 13 and I'm not sure if I should run away
                  My mom is considered emotionally abusive, like she always gives me the silent treatment, never acknowleges that I'm alive and that sort, but my dad is literally the best dad in the world. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod13
                    ccsmod13 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi there,

We are glad you reached out. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation with your mom. No one deserves to be emotionally abused, and it can be really hurtful to be given the silent treatment or to not be acknowledged. You mention that your dad is the best dad in the world, and we are glad that he is supportive of you. Have you considered having a conversation with your dad about how your mom is treating you? He may be helpful in advocating for you, or evening helping you talk with your mom so you’re able to tell her how she’s been making you feel lately. It also can be helpful to reach out to someone at school, like a school counselor or social worker. They may be able to help you in coming up with a plan on how to talk with your mom. Running away can be a difficult choice to make, here are some questions you can ask yourself as you are considering what to do:

• Do I have a place to stay?
                    • What about school? Would I continue to get an education?
                    • Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days?
                    • What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
                    • Who can I depend on if I leave home?
                    • Do I have a safe, solid plan?
                    • What is my plan b in case my first plan doesn’t work?
                    • What have I done to make things better at home?
                    • What can I do to make things better at home?
                    • Who have I reached out to make things better at home?

If you’d like to talk more in depth about your situation, we are here to support you. We are available to talk 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY, and you can remain confidential.

Best,
                    ~NRS

i'm only 12 i want to die
                  My life is ruined because of my parents. My dad thinks i am retarded, and slaps me for nothing. Today he took my phone and broke it into pieces. I feel unsafe and hated by both of my parents. Mom once took a knife and threw it on me, it didn't reach me thank god, but my younger brother wasn't so lucky mom threw the telephone on him and sadly it opened his head. My other four elder brother were raised to hate me and they all treat me like ********. I need help. I want to run away or die. I am only 12.

Comment

Reply: I am 12 almost 13 and I want to run away

Hello,
                    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry to hear that you are going through what sounds like a tough and difficult time.
                    You don’t deserve to be hit, slapped or have things thrown at you and neither does your brother.
                    None of these things are your fault. You are very brave to reach out tonight. You being very courageous. Good for you. We understand this must be very difficult for you.
                    Even though things are may be difficult and frustrating for you now, you deserve to live.

You are welcome to contact NRS and discuss some options to try and bring change to your situation.
                    If you would like to talk about your situation and explore options NRS is here to listen and here to help.
                    You are welcome to contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (Live chat).
                    Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe from yourself or others, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
                    The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273- 8255

Child Help USA 1-800-422-53 (To report child abuse)

Sometimes talking might help to formulate a plan of positive action or it can be a way of venting any frustrations one might have. Does that make sense?
                    NRS is here to support you and to let you know you are not alone.
                    Great job reaching out.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
                    NRS
                    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-09-2017, 08:52 AM.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
                    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I am 13 and I feel like I need to run away. My parents hate me and are very controlling. I get very upset and depressed when things go wrong (which is often for me). I can't sleep because I am so stressed and upset over situations with my parents. I feel unsafe in my family because my mum attacked me today. She grabbed me by the arms and forced me outside, screaming in my face and trying to slap me with a wooden spoon. Things are just getting worse and worse. I need help. I need to run away but I don't know where to go. Please help me.

Comment

Hi im 12 and i want to run away i have 3 fs in school and my mom hit me in the ear so hard it wss ringing and still ismright nkw i love this girl asked her out and im still waiting on what she sauys i want to killmmy self and run away what do i do?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                          ccsmod10 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to our forum! It looks like you also reached out to us via email. Sorry about the response delay, but we have responded. If you'd like to talk more about your situation, don't hesitate to call into our safeline. We're open 24/7.

Best, NRS
                      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X