help! im 17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! im 17

im 17 and wanting to leave immediately. my mom took me out of school to get my GED and i just wanna runaway because im being treated like a slave and having to get a full time job to pay her rent. what would the cops to to me if they found me? even though im out of school and trying to get a job.

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are in an incredibly difficult situation right now and we think it’s great that you reached out to us for assistance. We are sorry to hear about what’s going on right now and we hope to be able to help you locate some resources or support.

It sounds like your mom pulled you out of school and is forcing you to obtain your GED. It also sounds like you have to find a job in order to take care of your mom. We are sorry to hear that; it seems like school was very important to you. When your mom took you out of school, did she explain her decision to you?

It also sounds like you are thinking of leaving home and you’re wondering what will happen if you do that. Unfortunately, we aren’t legally trained here so we can’t tell you for sure what would happen if you were to leave home but we can give you some general ideas of what may happen. Generally speaking, if you were to leave home, your mom may have the option to file a runaway report with the local police. Now, in some states, we have heard that the police won’t do anything if a youth is close to being 18 but again, we aren’t legally trained so we can’t say for sure which ones. If you are interested in exploring this more, you may be able to call your local police department and ask them some questions. Also, running away is generally considered to be a status offense which is something you can’t do when you are under 18 years old. If you were to leave home and the police found you, they may call your mom and let her know or just take you home.

Please give us a call if you would like to talk more about what’s going on or if you would like to discuss what options may be available to you. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we are completely confidential and anonymous. We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST) if you would rather talk with us that way; those can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X