17, with job, wanting to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17, with job, wanting to move out

I am 17 in the state of texas. I make about $300 a month at my current job. (dont get payed, only work for tips) I want to move out because I dont feel comftrable at home, or around my family. While i make a little bit it is not enough to afford rent at any apartment in my area, so i was wondering what options i had to to become more financially stable before leaving or ways to afford living on my own with my current job.

Re: 17, with job, wanting to move out

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting us during this difficult time. We are sorry to hear you do not feel comfortable in your own home; everyone deserves to feel wanted and safe. It sounds like you are planning on leaving home soon but are worried about being able to support yourself financially. Sometimes it is helpful to have several plans in place in case an original one falls through. It can be a good plan to get a basic idea of how much it will cost you to live independently on your own. Do you have any relatives or friends who can lend you money to move out? Can you sell anything to make ends meet? There can also be programs though charity or government assistance to help with food, shelters or other necessities.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we will not tell you what you should or should not do. We are here to support you no matter what you decide and can help you explore options. We also have a large database of information if you felt comfortable calling us. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Running away

Look I just hate talking to my parents and brother period and I have a friend who's parents passed away so his older brother is the head if the house and I want to move in with them sometime next week I live in Waukegan Illinois would I get into trouble if I do move out? And could you just answer my question no I will not call any number you give me either I just want to know a simple yes or no.

Comment

RE: 17, with job, wanting to move out

Hello,

We will try to answer as directly as we can. Although we are not legal experts, from what we know it is not against the law for you to run away from home. In most states it is considered a status offense. However, anyone you would be caught staying with could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway.’ This means that your legal guardians may have the right to press charges against your friend’s older brother. Is that something he is willing to risk for you? If you are no longer a minor which is typically 18 years old, you can live wherever you choose without legal consequences. We hope this helps, we are available for you 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org if you ever wanted to speak with us. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X