Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please!

I am 17 years old and will be turning 18 on October 15th and live in Oregon. My parents are over controlling and emotionally abusive. I would like to run away, I have a place to stay and am no longer in school but will be starting college in the fall. I cant stand it here any more. My concern is that I don't want my friends to get in trouble and don't want my parents to call the cops and bring me home but I suspect that my parents might kick me out, can they still have the police bring me home if they kicked me out? Please help I don't know what to do.

re: Help please!

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline for help. It seems like you have a pretty tough relationship with your parents. It is important to remember that there is a difference between running away and getting kicked out. Although we are not legal experts, we can tell you that in most places it is not legal for parents to kick their children out of the home if they are under the age of majority (typically 18 years old). Also, whenever a youth runs away from home and there is a runaway report made, the police will typically bring the youth home if they are identified as a runaway. Unfortunately, it can be true that there may be consequences for your friends if they were to "harbor a runaway" although it is important to remember that all local law enforcement agencies deal with these situations differently and you can always contact your local police to find information on laws in your area. If you are interested talking more about your situation or other options available, please feel free to call our anonymous and confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day. You can also chat with us live from 4:30-11:30pm CST at 1800runaway.org. Take care,

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X