I'm tired of this, need help/advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tired of this, need help/advice

I'm 15 years old and my family treats me horribly almost always. My dad hits me and yells at me A lot sometimes theres marks sometimes there aren't. He always yells and hits me never my sister he'll yell at my brother but not hit probably 'cause he's 21. This really started after my mom passed away my dad always treated me badly never my sister i HATE it she always gets what she wants, all the time. My dad always calls my physco or crazy and such and says im like my mother , she had bipolar. My brother will hit me too and yell at me call me names taunt me and such, My sister (whos younger 11) will do it too.! i HATE it so much recently my dad took my door because i tried keeping him out of my room and the door went further than it should but i tried keeping him out so he wouldnt hit me. I cry almost every night sometimes i actually believe im physco I haven't left yet because even though my sister will be a brat i still care for her only her. My best friend ran away once but i got him to go home he tells me not to run but if i do to wait for him and he'll go with me. I dont know where we'd go but i have around 200+ bucks that I've saved so that'll help but I'm not sure what to do.. I hate getting treated like I'm crazy or like I don't belong here. I need help or advice please ..

I'm tired of this, need help/advice

Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.
    We are sorry to hear you are being treated unfairly by your father.
    No one deserves to be called names or hit especially by a parent or any family member. We hope you understand that you are not to blame for what others choose to do.

Losing a parent can be a very traumatic experience; we are sorry for your loss.
    It’s okay if sometimes you are emotional about what has been happening sometimes it helps to express your feelings but it does not mean you are crazy or psycho.
    You are doing well by reaching out for help and seeking some options.
    You have the right to want to feel safe at home it’s too bad that your father and brother both adults are behaving badly towards you.

It sounds like you care about your sister and your friend.
    It says a really a nice thing about you as a person being able to show your support to others in the midst of your own circumstances. Have you thought about what kind of help you are seeking in regards to your situation at home?

What you described happening at home with your father hitting you could be looked at as child abuse.
    NRS can take an abuse report if that is something you would like to do.
    Filing an abuse report would put in motion an investigation about your safety at home.
    If it is found your home is unsafe you could be placed in a safe place through the state or possibly a suitable relative.
    Does that make sense?

You can also contact Child Help USA to get assistance with filing a child abuse report.
    Their number is 1-800-422-4453

We are sorry but we don’t give advice simply because we are not counselors but we can look to try and provide you with referrals for counseling services in your area through our national data base. Running away is a big step and though we may understand why this might seem like an option for you; your safety is important so you are welcome to call our toll free 24hr crisis line and speak with one of our crisis liners about your plan to survive on the run.

Our number is 1-800-Runaway (786-2929). You can also contact NRS via our live chat service available on our website www.1800Runaway.org 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) 7 days a week.

We thank you again for your post and hope things improve for you.
    Take Care
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I've thought about reporting him before, but I don't want them to send my sister away or separate us, as much as i dislike her I still care. Would they split us up?

Comment

re: I'm tired of this, need help/advice

Thanks for following up with us. It's totally understandable that you might be worried about being split up from your sibling, it sounds like you care a lot about your sister and that's great that you're thinking about her. It can be scary to not know what might happen, and unfortunately we can't make any promises. Because every situation is different, the only want to really know what might happen is to call in and talk with DCFS directly. We can tell you that most of the time, the ideal situation would be to keep the family together and in-tact, but that doesn't always happen if minors are in fact removed from the home. If you want to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can call in for you or together with you to learn more about what the outcomes could be. We hope that you will continue reaching out to us for support, you are very brave for asking for help.

Stay safe,
        -NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

What should I do?

I'm also 15 but I'm turing 16 very soon. I live in NYC and I hate living at home. I recently got into some trouble and my parents told me they were sick of me. My mom yells and is very abusive and my dad ignores me and doesn't consider me family anymore. If I ran away, I have a place to stay but I'm afraid of getting the people who's letting me stay with them get in trouble because of me. Also I'm afraid of my parents and I don't know if I should run away or not. I'm trapped in my room and they treat me like a criminal. It makes me really sad and upset and I feel like I don't have a family anymore. I'm not a bad student either, I have a 3.7/4.0 GPA and when I return to school, I'll be a junior and taking 2 AP classes. If I run away I don't plan on dropping out of school. The people who I'm staying with have no problem with me and treat me like I'm family. I won't be asked to do much but even so I except to help around the house for them letting me stay with them. But I don't know if I should run away or not. If I get caught, will I have to go back to my parent's house?

Comment

Re: What should I do?

Hey,
            Thanks for reaching out to us. Sounds like you’re going through an intense time right now and looking for options. We’ll try and help out as best as we can.

The main thing we’re hearing from you is that you want to leave home because of how you’re treated by your parents there but you’re worried about the consequences that you and the people you’d be staying with will face. That’s a good concern and the response is a bit hazy…

The age of majority in most states is 18. That means that you aren’t allowed to leave home now decided where you get to live until that age. If you decide to leave before you’re 18, your parents can file a ‘runaway report’ and that usually prevents you from having permission to live with anyone else. If it’s discovered that someone is ‘harboring you’ then you or they might face certain consequences. And all of that can vary so it’d be difficult to say what ‘getting in trouble’ would be.

However, NY is one of those tricky states that at 16 you may have some rights when it comes to deciding where you want to live. The best way to find out if you can take advantage of that in your area is to call local police. Since they’re the ones that pick people up after running from home, they might be able to give you an idea as to who can leave home when.

If you’d like to explore this some more and talk about what options might be available to you, please call us. We’re an anonymous, confidential and 24/7 hotline. We can advocate for you in any way possible. We can be reached at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,
            NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X