Bad parents? I want to run away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad parents? I want to run away?

Hi, Im 14 years old and I feel like i need to get away from my house and my family. My dad is an alcoholic and he goes on binges about once a week andthen he starts acting so wierd and he sometimes get really angry while hes drinking. Then the next day he'll sleep all day and wont talk to me or wake up and i have to go to my grandmas house and sty there. Him and my mom fight all of the time and they scream at each other and say horrible things but never divorce this has been going on my whole life. My dad is also really depressed but never tries to do anything about it. He switches between moods all of the time like one minute hes almost happy and im happy but then it happens gain and hes bad. Today was my 14th birthday and when i first woke up he was ver nice to me and saying how good daughte i am butby the end of the night he was being very mean to me. I get embarresed to invite my friends over to my house because then sometimes my parents act bad and my friends feel very uncomfortable. My mom is depressed too and she always talks to me and says all of the things wrong in her life and how she screwed up over and over again every day nd it makes me sad. She also always tells me That when i grow up im going to be just like her and be unhappy. sometimes she says ba things about me that i know arent true. like she said many times i am antisocial but shes said it like the day i get home from a sleep over and she knows i have many friends!! so its like she just says it to make me feel bad. Shes hit me only a few times before but sometimes she raises her hand to my face like shes going to hit me and i move away and then she just laughs and said you though i was going to hit you?? Like she wouldnever do that. But i think she would. Once she hit my face when i was 11 and i got scared and ran away because that was the first time and stayed away a couple of hours at a park and thought but then it got dark and i got scared and went home becuase i didnt know where else to go. So i am asking you is all of this bad or am i just over reacting? I dont want to be in this house because they are making me very said and i dont want to be like them but they tell me i will be n that scares me.i dont want to run away but i will if its t he only way. I dont want to get my parents in trouble because i dont think they meant it to get this way. What can i do please help thank you so much.

RE: Bad parents? I want to run away?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. We are sorry to hear you are in this situation. Nobody deserves to be abused, or made to feel threatened in their own home. You have a right to feel safe and worthy. It sounds like you walk on eggshells and are unsure of what mood you are going to be faced with. We can only imagine how exhausting that much be, have you ever tried talking to someone about what you are going through?
    It sounds like you have lots of friends and are not anti-social at all. We are sorry to hear your mom says horrible things to you, nobody deserves to be told things that will tear them down. It also sounds like you are worried you will turn out to be just like them. You can be anyone you want to be! You are already brave to reach out for help and sound like you have a good head on your shoulders.

Just to let you know, we are mandated reporters. This means that although we are confidential, anonymous and toll-free, if we hear details about child abuse we are required by law to report it. If you wanted to call and give more specific details such as names, location, time of abuse and phone numbers, we would contact your local law enforcement and child protective services. Another option would be to tell a trusted teacher/counselor what is going on since they are also mandated reporters. Have you ever thought about reporting the abuse to anyone?

You also mentioned that you were thinking about running away. Just to let you know, we are not legal experts. However we can explain what we know about runway laws. Technically, it is not against the law for you to run away from home. However, anyone you are caught staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway. Do you have somewhere safe to go? If you need a safe place immediately, www.nationasafeplace.org can direct you to the nearest Safe Place.

If you wanted to call us, we would also be more than happy to contact shelters on your behalf and try to get you to a safe place. We are available for you 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or we be reached by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X