Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run away to my sister's house?

My mom told the police that she doesn't want me and doesn't care if I leave. My older sister (she is 35) who lives in Washington wants me to go live with her. Will I get in trouble? I am 17 1/2 and I live in California. I need help ASAP.

RE: Can I run away to my sister's house?

Hi there,

Thanks for posting here tonight. It sounds like you’re going through a lot and that you are figuring out a way to take care of yourself. That’s great! We’re sorry that your mom is treating you that way and we hope that we are able to help you out tonight.

So for starters, we are not legal experts here, but we are able to talk about what generally happens. In general, if you are under 18, your mom has a legal responsibility to care for you. That means, that if you have her permission to live with your sister, that is okay. Now, if she decides to file a runaway report with the police (which it doesn’t sound like she will), and the police find you, they will return you back to your mom. If the police find you, you will not be in trouble with the law, all that they would do is return you to your mom.

We hope that this information helps. We understand that the law can be difficult to navigate. If you want to talk more about the information above, you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are here 24 hours a day and are completely confidential and anonymous. If you can’t call in, you can chat with us on our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to chatting or talking with you.

It looks like you’re trying to get as much information as you can in order to make a good decision about what to do. That’s a really impressive approach to have.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

can i run away to my sisters house if i dont want to live with my guardians no more? She is my sister tho but i dont want her to get in trouble we live in Florida

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for contacting NRS,
        From what you told us it seems you're trying to get to live with your sister. You no longer want to live with your guardians. We are sorry that you feel like you cant stay with your guardians anymore. Some things to keep in mind are that we would suggest contacting us through chat or our hotline as we might need a bit more information to help give you a more clear answer. An option you might have just from this brief summary is that maybe you could ask your guardians to let you stay there. It would be legal that way as they are consenting to you living with her. Some basic runaway laws to keep in mind are that youth generally speaking cannot leave home until they turn 18. Anything younger than that and guardians have the right to file a runaway report. From there the police would be able to look for you and if they find you bring you home. Anyone who houses you has the potential to be charged with harboring a runaway and those penalties look different in every state.
        We hope that this information helps. We understand that the law can be difficult to navigate. If you want to talk more about the information above, you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are here 24 hours a day and are completely confidential and anonymous. If you can’t call in, you can chat with us on our website (www.1800runaway.org) 24/7. We look forward to chatting or talking with you.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X