X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us what is going on. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation right now and we think it’s very brave of you to contact us. Hopefully, we can try to provide you with some resources that may be able to help you. Let us begin by saying congratulations on graduating high school! That’s such an important accomplishment.

We are sorry to hear that your grandma passed away; it sounds like you had a good relationship with her. How have you been taking care of yourself since then? You said that your sister moved in with you after she passed and that it has been incredibly difficult for you to live with her. We are sorry to hear that she treats you the way she does, nobody deserves to feel like that in their own home. Have you tried talking with her or anyone else about what you are feeling?

You said that you don’t want to stay at home anymore and it sounds like you are thinking about running away. If you were to leave, do you have a safe place to stay? On our website, we do have a list of questions and things to consider before leaving home (http://www.1800runaway.org/youth/nrs_can_help/); what do you think about those?

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are not legally trained so we wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly what would happen if you left home. Generally speaking though, if your sister is your legal guardian, she may have the option or right to file a runaway report with the local police department. Now, if she does this and the police locate you, they could make you return home until you turn 18. Sometimes though, when a youth is close to being 18, the police don’t take a report but we can’t tell you for sure if they would or not. One thing you may be able to try is calling them to ask them hypothetically what would happen; if you aren’t comfortable calling on your own, we can definitely help you with that.

We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to call and talk more or explore what options that may be available to you. If you aren’t comfortable calling, we do have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST) and that can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic What Do I Do?!

What Do I Do?!

Hi, I'm 17 years old & I've lived with my grandma all of my life until a few months ago when she passed away. Since she passed away, my 24 year old sister moved in & I can't stand living with her anymore & it's only been 3 months since she moved in. She's not home 80% of the time, she has me clean up everything after her & her friends, she had a DUI so she has a breathalyzer in her car that she has me blow into when she needs me to, she hardly lets me go out. I just graduated high school & I'm really depressed here & I need to get out of here. I don't want to wait 5 more months until I'm 18. Please give me options on how to get out.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X