Is there a way out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way out?

So i'm sixteen, and last year my mom divorced my dad and moved in with someone new. MY dad is an alcoholic, and so naturally i went with her.
    Since i was 12 til i was about 15 i have been in and out of residential treatment,
    and "E-bed" type facilities, due to my depression and self-harm.
    Up until recently i had told everyone i stopped, and they believed me until i couldn't deal with it anymore and said something. Now my mom keeps saying things like "this is the last time right." "You have to promise you won't do it again." but i don't think she realizes that i cannot just stop i've been doing it for over four years. It's more complicated than that.
    So anyway, i live with my mom, and he partner my kind sorta step-mom. And at begining things were fine, but now i hate her. and she tries to control me. i've tried to talk to my mom about it and she ended up telling my step-mom and she got upset so i felt bad and took it back.
    and i've heard my mom say before she'd pick her over me.
    my sister is in college, so she doesn't have to deal with it.
    and im stuck here.

i want to move back in with my dad, but i know since they granted my mom custody and if i try to get him to get it, she will argue he's a drunk, and im not sure he even wants me since i haven't seen him in almost two years.

i want to get imancipated,
    but i don't have any money,
    and i know its hard unless your parents consent.
    is there anyway to make it easier?

What can i do,
    im on the verge of a mental break,
    and i just want out.
    to runaway,
    or to do something.

Re: Is there a way out?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard with your story and we welcome the fact that you are able to write to us in this time of need to see what options are available to you. We certainly empathize with your situation and we feel for you. Dealing with family crisis such as these can be very difficult so we were wondering what you do to distract yourself from it all. It sounds like you are not trying to create much of a scene at home but you are really thinking hard about what the best route is from here. What other options do you have besides living with your mother if it is not going to be your father?

In terms of emancipation, you are right in the fact that it is very difficult to get it done if your legal guardian is not willing to give in to signing it. To get emancipated you need to show that you are willing to provide for yourself financially also and that requires getting a job and saving money. What do you have for a plan to achieve this if you were going to prove it to a judge? You have a file a petition where you mother comes to court and provide both your arguments and evidence but it comes back to her signing. We are not sure what state you are in also, so we are not sure if you can even get emancipated in that state. Please provide us with a state so we can investigate what the laws are in that area. What if you were not able to get your mother to sign? What is your plan of action from there? You have been through so much and we want to be there for you. If you were interested in calling us at our 1800-Runaway number, we are here to listen to you. We feel that you would be able to get some substance out of these calls because you at least get the chance to vent and we can provide referrals for you. Lastly, the only place you can stay legally if you were to leave would be a shelter and they are required to call your parents for consent to have you stay there. What can you come up with with how to stay distracted from all of this. Please call us or write again if you cannot call. We want to here from you and hope you take this time to empower yourself. Good luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I live in Vermont, and im pretty sure the age is sixteen to become emancipated.
      I'm trying to stay busy with school work and everything i just don't have the energy, its hard. I'm seeing a therapist and saw her today,
      and explained all this to her but she did the "yadda yadda yadda, myabe you're clinically depressed again," thing so she wasn't much help.

I'm think of maybe staying with a friend for a couple days just to cool off, but again my mom would probably throw a fit.

Comment

Thanks for replying with more info. You’re right that the minimum age is 16. To get specifics about emancipation in Vermont, you can visit:
        http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/ful ... hapter=217. Most likely you’d want to get paperwork to file for emancipation from your local county courthouse.

Sorry to hear that your therapist didn’t seem to be too helpful. It’s good that you try to reach out to others; it’s just unfortunate that you haven’t received the help you’re looking for yet. You’re definitely welcome to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you want to talk more about what’s going on, get referrals for courthouses in your area or even want help contacting the courthouse in your area (this would likely need to be done during business hours).

Please call anytime, day or night.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X