Fast break?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast break?

I don't think I want to run away for the same reasons as most people my age, I really just want to get out of the nasty suburb I live in as fast as possible. Family problems are part of it but mainly I want to get away, there is nothing here. I was once depressed and suicidal and have been diagnosed with A.D.D. and Asperger's syndrome so school is kind of a waste for me, I recently switched schools and when I took the entering exam the counselor said if it had been a high school EXITING exam I would've passed which is kinda weird cuz I'm only 13. I have tried to get my mother to let me take the GED once i hit high school but she wants me to get an "education" which btw I'll never use I play the drums so all I need is to know how to count to 4. My dad just isn't around and I know my mother doesn't have the patience or time for a child with disabilities. I'm not disgusted with her I just don't want her. Is there any way I could like file a complaint or something I just don't want to be around her, could I get placed into a foster home or group home if I was unhappy enough?

Re: Fast break?

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you’re going through a really difficult time at home right now. It sounds frustrating because you mentioned not only being unhappy at home, but also in the city that you are living in. You mentioned specifically having issues with your mom. What is it about your mom that you don’t like? How long have you been having issues with your mom? Do you live with anyone else? You also mentioned dealing with issues at school. How are you feeling about the new school you are going to? You mentioned wanting to get your GED but your mom doesn’t think that was a good idea. If you got your GED when you got into high school, where do you think you would go from there? Do you think you might be able to compromise with your mom? Perhaps she would let you go to high school for a couple years and let you graduate early or get your GED.

In the end it sounds like you are frustrated with your life right now, dealing with school, parents, wanting to get out of your town. You mentioned something about going to a foster or group home. Generally youth who are in these types of homes are there because they are considered wards of the state and are assigned a case worker who acts as there legal guardian. This can happen for several reasons, generally Child Protective Services will get involved if a youth is not safe in the home they are in and may place them in a foster/group home. Have you talked with anyone about how you are feeling and what your plans are? Any friends, family, teachers, or counselors? Do you think it would help to talk to someone about what’s been going on?
    If you ever felt like you wanted to talk more in depth about this you could always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are a completely confidential hotline and there is someone here to talk 24 hours a day. We are not here to tell you what to do, or to judge you based upon what you want to do or how you feel. We are here to listen and if you want, come up with any options that might help in your situation. Best of luck with everything and give us a call anytime.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Originally posted by ccsmod7
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you’re going through a really difficult time at home right now. It sounds frustrating because you mentioned not only being unhappy at home, but also in the city that you are living in. You mentioned specifically having issues with your mom. What is it about your mom that you don’t like? How long have you been having issues with your mom? Do you live with anyone else? You also mentioned dealing with issues at school. How are you feeling about the new school you are going to? You mentioned wanting to get your GED but your mom doesn’t think that was a good idea. If you got your GED when you got into high school, where do you think you would go from there? Do you think you might be able to compromise with your mom? Perhaps she would let you go to high school for a couple years and let you graduate early or get your GED.

In the end it sounds like you are frustrated with your life right now, dealing with school, parents, wanting to get out of your town. You mentioned something about going to a foster or group home. Generally youth who are in these types of homes are there because they are considered wards of the state and are assigned a case worker who acts as there legal guardian. This can happen for several reasons, generally Child Protective Services will get involved if a youth is not safe in the home they are in and may place them in a foster/group home. Have you talked with anyone about how you are feeling and what your plans are? Any friends, family, teachers, or counselors? Do you think it would help to talk to someone about what’s been going on?
      If you ever felt like you wanted to talk more in depth about this you could always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are a completely confidential hotline and there is someone here to talk 24 hours a day. We are not here to tell you what to do, or to judge you based upon what you want to do or how you feel. We are here to listen and if you want, come up with any options that might help in your situation. Best of luck with everything and give us a call anytime.

I don't like a lot of things about my mother. She tends to be narrow minded, conservative, and controlling. She is unwilling to really compromise with many people, me being one of them. I have been having issues with her for a few years and almost every year it's something new. 2 years ago she wouldn't let me be alone and pestered me about my (then nonexisting) social life, last year she had a problem with the people i had managed to make friends with, but this year it goes much more in depth such as why I have friends of other races, cultures, religions or any other characteristic she can think of that in her mind is inferior. when I try to tell her I like them because we're interested in the same things or something she insults them. I know now she won't compromise with anything concerning those issues. I like the school I go to more than my old one but I still havn't learned anything I am positive I will use in music, sculpture or any other artistic career I will pursue. If I succeeded in getting my GED I would like to take classes at our local recreation center that have to do with drawing, sketching, cartoon art, book illustrating...etc. and I know if I had the chance to get my GED I would pass it. I have many things I aspire to be if only I could get out early and focus on things I not only enjoy and understand but aren't a waste of my time.

One last(i think) question i have is, I do have a dad, he does not have custody of me but who I want to live with is mutual so I can choose. On getting my GED when they ask for parental consent if he gave me the ok even though my mother didn't would it count for anything because legally he still is my father, it's not like I have a restraining order or anything.

Comment

It has to be extremely frustrating living in a home where you constantly feel criticized. It sounds like you have tried to compromise with your mom on certain issues and she doesn’t seem to budge. It’s hard because in the end you can’t control or change your mom’s behavior.

Even though you talked a lot about your problems at home, you have spoken a lot about what makes you happy and what you want to do with your life. It sounds like you have a lot of artistic and musical talent, and that you want to pursue a career in such things when you get older. Although you may not be supported by your mom in your life’s ambitions, in the end it sounds like it’s important to follow your heart and do what makes you happy. It’s good to hear that you have a plan after getting your GED, and plan on taking some classes at your local recreation center.

You mentioned asking your dad about giving you permission for getting your GED. We are not lawyers here so I can’t say for sure, but if your mom is your legal guardian she is probably the one that has to sign the paper allowing you to graduate early. Have you spoken with your dad about your plans? Have you spoken with anyone at school about your desire to graduate early and get your GED? Perhaps a teacher or a guidance counselor can tell you more about what that would entail? This was mentioned before, but if you want some legal resources to look more in depth about this you could always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Even if you just wanted to talk more about your situation you can give us a call as well. Good luck.

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X