Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 14 and I hate my Dad and I want to run away

I really hate my dad and I dont want to live with him anymore but thats too late... I AM going to run away but I dont know where to go. I live in long island... I'm tired of my dad constantly shutting me up and threatening me and sometimes hitting me (throwing things at me too). I dont want to live with him anymore and I am going to run away but I really just dont know where im going to go.... please help..

Re: Im 14 and I hate my Dad and I want to run away

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sounds like you're going through a very intense time right now. We'll try and help out as best as we can.

You stated that you are going to leave home, do oyu know where you'll go? There might be some safe places where you can go but sometimes those agencies might have to ask you many questions about why you're there and what has been going on. Do you think you'll explain the situation at home and how your dad is being abusive?

You definietly allowed to have a safe place to live and we can explore all of those options with you. The best way to do this is to call in to our hotline at 1800-runaway (786-2929). We can talka bout what might be available to you and then talk about what else we can do to help.

We're anonymous, confidential and available 24/7.

Hope to hear from you soon,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hey i know how u feel im 14 and i live in oregon and i want to run away so badly my dad hits me..and calls me names..he says that he dont care if i ran awya...so im gonna do it..but i have 2 sisters and 2 brothers and all of them are so young and i feel bad for leaving them...but i have to leave..im a girl..btw...and i hate him calling me names....i only have $25 so im not sure what im going to do...my girlfriend moved away from were we life...cuz of things now she lives in indina and im feeling like im going to run away there...im going to have to get some more money cuz flying on a plane is at least 300$...umm i really need help...iv been thinking about suicide and...i have been really depressed lately..and stuf....

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that your dad has hit you and called you names. No one has the right to hurt you or make you feel unsafe at home. It sounds like everything that’s going on at home has made you feel that hurting yourself or leaving to Indiana would be helpful. We won’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to share information that might help you decide what to do.

From your message, you mentioned that living with your dad has been really tough for you and it’s made you think about suicide. Suicide is a very permanent way to deal with a problem, and if you’re feeling like you might consider it, we hope that you reach out to someone so that they can help you work through everything that’s been going on. One resource that you have available to you if you feel that you might hurt yourself would be to reach out to organizations like the National Suicide Hotline at 800.273.TALK (8255). They can help you figure out alternatives to approaching your situation and may be able to help you find resources in your area. Please know that there are organizations out there that will support you and try to help you out.

You also mentioned wanting to leave home as a way to deal with your situation. We’re not legal experts, but from what we understand, if you are considered a minor in your state, your legal guardian can file a runaway report with your local police department. Running away isn’t technically illegal, in many states it’s considered a status offense. If you do leave home, your local police department may or may not look for you depending on how they generally handle runaway reports. If they do look for you & find you, they will either return you home or have your parent/legal guardian pick you up. In some states, whoever takes you in can be charged with harboring a runaway, and those consequences can depend on where you live. If you’d like more information on how your local police department handles runaway reports, the best way is to call your local police department at their non-emergency number. If you don’t have that information, just give us a call and we will gladly help you find that info.

Given everything you’ve mentioned about your dad hitting you, you have the option of filing an abuse report with your local Child Protective Services. If you don’t know how to reach them, organizations like Child Help USA at 800.422.4453 can help you find your nearest agency. If you don’t feel comfortable making the call alone, we can make the call with you, or even make the call on your behalf if that’s something you’d prefer. Besides us, you can tell someone that works at your school, or even your local police department. Most people that work with youth, like someone at school, us, or your local police department, are mandated reporters. That means that, if they find out that a youth is being abused or neglected, they have to make a report once they have your name, your dad’s name, and an address. Even if you decide that filing a report isn’t what you want, you can still call us and we will do our best to support you. We’re here to listen and help in whatever way you feel is best.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X