Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend wants to run away...

Hello, I have a friend who resides in Manhattan. He's 14, and his parents continue to ignore him, almost to the point of completely disregarding his existence. He said he was going to hitchhike 4 states up and stay at a friends house. Now, while I don't normally condone this sort of stuff, I understand how he feels. That doesn't change the fact I'm sort of worried for him. I know the legal actions taken towards runaways, and the actions taken to those who harbor the runaway. I don't know what I should do. What should I say to him?

re: Friend wants to run away...

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about what your friend is experiencing at home. It sounds like an unpleasant situation. No one wants to be ignored by their loved ones especially their parents. It seems that your friend has told you about his plans and you are very concerned about his safety. Has your friend told you about the length of time he plans to stay away? Hitch hiking can be very dangerous and your concerns are understandable. Have you been able to talk to your friend about any safe alternatives to hitch hiking or going so far away? Sometimes trying to explore if any other options exist may open up safer alternatives. If you would like, you can provide your friend with our number. We are available 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, anonymous, and confidential. While we will not tell your friend what we think he should or shouldn’t do, we will discuss his safety and safe options.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember you can always reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are also available on Live Chat between 4:30 pm and 11:30 pm CST.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X