Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughter ran away...

In March my daughter aged 17 ran away. There is a long story behind what happened, but the long and short of it is she has a drug problem and when I discovered this (along with some other possibly embarrassing details) she ran away. Somewhere along the way, I guess I didn't teach her how to discuss issues, how important good communication truly is. I truly did my best in raising her and I'm sorry she felt running away was a healthy solution. It's amazing how falling in with the wrong crowd can change a person and I doubt you'd ever notice it if it was gradual enough. You start spending time with them and at first, may think nothing of their drug usage saying to yourself, "that's them, not me..." but before you know it, you find yourself experimenting thinking, "all kids do this, what's the big deal?" Next, little by little you quit spending time with your family, you quit interacting with them and may stay up in your room for hours until it gets to a point where if you DON'T use every day, you become ill. Now what? You see, I wanted to give my daughter her privacy, I wanted to let her grow up and I truly didn't see this happening to us. I love my daughter. I miss my daughter every. single. day. Some days I struggle to find a reason to continue on, it truly is that painful. These aren't shoes I could ever ask ANY other person to wear. Right now, the most painful part is that newsreel type thing that keeps going through my mind that takes me back to when she was a baby. As parents, our main goal is to keep our children safe and I failed.

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us today. Wow, it really seems like you’re going through so much right now. We really can’t imagine the pain that you must be feeling. When we feel that way, it can be so important to reach out for some support. It was really brave of you to write to us and share your story!

It sounds like you are a very dedicated parent who’s in need a just a little bit of support. That’s definitely understandable. As a parent, there are some steps that you can take to try and get your daughter back home.

1. Contact your local police department to file a runaway report.
    2. Contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (1-800-843-5678. They have a national database that they can put your child on.
    3. Call Team HOPE (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) at 1-866-305-4673. They are run by parents of runaways and offer really wonderful advice and resources for other parents.
    4. We have a message service here. If you’d like, you can call in to leave a message for your daughter. All she would have to do is call in, give her name, and then receive the message.

So those steps might help. Another resource that we wanted to give to you is the National Suicide Hotline. Dealing with all the changes and emotions that it sounds like you’re going through can be really hard and disrupting to you. Sometimes reaching out can be helpful. Their number is 1-800-273-8255.

If you’d like to talk through any of these options, you can call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are completely confidential and anonymous. If you don’t want to call in, you can also chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm CST. We look forward to hearing from you.

We wish you the best of luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X