No announcement yet.

can i runaway keep working so i can get emancipation

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can i runaway keep working so i can get emancipation

    im 15 going to be 16 in march 4 months or so i wanted to get an emancipation???????
    or do i have to wait at my house till my im 16 to get the emancipation.
    the reason i want to get an emancipation is because my father drinks way to much!I am like a slave to my parents my mom works 6 days of a week i go to parents let me date with my boyfriend but last saturday my dad got mad because i left 1 hour early so he hit me.
    my dad hits me and lowers my self esteem my parents dont alow me to do anything
    can i move out right now and get an emacipation right away without having to go back to my house

  • #2
    Re: can i runaway keep working so i can get emancipation

    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like your dealing with an extremely difficult situation at home. How long have you been unhappy living at home? How long have you been thinking about leaving and getting an emancipation? Have you ever runaway from home before. You mentioned that your dad drinks and you said he has hit you before. Have you ever told anyone that your dad hits you? How often does this happen? Do you feel like you are unsafe at home? Nobody deserves to be treated like that and I’m sorry to hear that this has been going on. Have you ever thought about reporting that your father hits you with the local authorities or Child Protective Services?

    You mentioned wanting to leave and get emancipation but not knowing if that was a possibility. Emancipation laws vary from state to state, have you spoken with anyone about emancipation. Generally when courts look at emancipation of a youth, they look at whether or not the youth can be self sufficient and take care of themselves. Where would you go if you left? Do you have a job? How would you survive on a daily basis? These may be some of the questions you may be asked. Emancipation can be quite a long process at times, and would require you to go to court and get the consent of a judge. You mentioned wanting to leave right away, do you have a safe place that you would be able to go if you left? Could you stay with a friend or family member in the area?

    It has to be frustrating living in a house where you don’t feel you are being cared for or even feel safe. If you want to look more in depth at the issue of emancipation perhaps there are some legal organizations, even the local police, which may be able to answer more specific questions about the issue. I also wanted to give you the hotline number for Justice for Children (1-800-733-0059). You also spoke about your dad hitting you. If you ever decide that you want to report that you can always call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we would be able to help conference call with Child Protective Services, if that’s something you wanted to do. If you want to talk a bit more about this situation and come up with some possible solutions you can give us a call. We are a completely confidential hotline and there is someone here to talk 24 hours a day. Best of luck with everything and feel free to give us a call anytime.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove