No announcement yet.

Family crisis?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family crisis?

    I am currently 15 years of age. I am living with my drunken mother and my abusive father. My mother doesn't let people come over to the house if she isn't feeling like it. (Meaning she wants to get drunk every night after work.) And my father is no help. I cook, clean, make sure all the children are in bed at a reasonable time, dress them, all on top of being a freshman in high school. I take care of my siblings ages 13, 4, and 2. I have raised my two year old sister and I am the only mother she knows. I am a living babysitter. My mother sometimes gets angry and physically puts her hands on me. I don't have any family I can stay with and the only person I can talk to is my best friend who currently got out of a similar situation. In conclusion, I would like to know what I can do. I would like to live with my friend and her mother. They have shown me so much support and are basically my family. Could I live with them and take my 2 year old sister with me? Any information will be greatly appreciated and I am very grateful. God Bless.

  • #2
    RE: Family crisis?

    Hi there,

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. Wow, it seems like you’re going through so much right now. We’re sorry that your parents are treating you that way. It seems like you understand that you don’t deserve to be treated that way. And it’s absolutely true, you don’t deserve that kind of treatment. You seem like a very smart person and someone who cares about others. So let’s see how we can help you out tonight.

    So, we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general to legal issues surrounding running away from home. Unfortunately, because you are 15, it is your parent’s responsibility to care for you. Now, this changes in certain circumstances. First, when you turn 18 to have the right to decide where you want to live. Second, you may be able to apply for emancipation. The rules for this vary from state to state.

    Finally, since there is abuse going on in your home, you have the option of filing an abuse report. This is entirely your decision. If you do decide to make a report, the state may help out by offering services or removing you and your siblings out of the house. If you’d like to know more about these options, we are here to talk every day, all day. We are here 24/7 and completely confidential and anonymous. You can reach us as 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    It really sounds like you’re going through a pretty hard time right now. We are here for you if you’d like to talk about what’s going on and discuss some options. We can do that together. We look forward to your call.

    Best of luck to you,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp