Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messy family situation

Hello, I could use some help. My parents recently passed away. My husband and I decided to adopt my brother, who was 16 at the time. He turned out to be very unstable and violent. Months later he decided he wanted to move out of our house and in with another sibling in another state, but before he did that he ended up assaulting a member of my family. We decided to drop the charges if it was agreed he would leave the state immediately. The police made a "Verbal agreement" that that sibling would become the temporary guardian.

He did the same thing to my other sibling, ran away and attempted suicide.

My question is, how legally responsible are we for his bills? He chose to leave, and we have not had any contact with him since he left.

He turns 18 in 2 short months. I don't think anyone is available to help him become emancipated.

Can he stay in a shelter for 2 months?

When he turns 18 he will come into a decent amount of money from our father's life insurance, so its not like he will be out on the street.

Re: Messy family situation

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a really stressful situation right now with your brother, this must be a really hard time for your family.

You mentioned emancipation. Legal emancipation takes about one year, so it isn’t an option for your brother. You asked if he can stay in a shelter for two months. That really depends on the shelter; some shelters house people for only a night, while at some shelters you can stay much longer. There are also Transitional Living Programs, which are programs which provide longer term housing and services, which might be a good option, especially since it sounds like your brother needs some help, due to his instability and recent suicide attempt. If you would like for us to provide you with referrals to youth shelters and Transitional
    Living Programs in your brother’s area, you can call us at 1-800-786-2929.

You asked how responsible you are for your brother’s bills. What bills does your brother owe? We are not legal experts, but we might be able to help you figure out your options and resources if you called and explained a little bit more about the situation with the bills.

Thank you so much for writing. It sounds like you and your family are going through a really hard time. If you would like any resources for your family or would like to talk about this further, you can call the hotline 24/7 or write back.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thank you so much for writing back. My brother is in the hospital now and they are trying to place him somewhere. The social worker should know of a transitional living program, I don't know why she didn't mention it. Thank you for that information about emancipation. I didn't know how lengthy the process could be.

The bills he has incurred are due to his hospital stay and ambulance ride. He does have insurance through our fathers government job, so hopefully the bills won't be too much, but I don't want our credit ruined with anything we don't know about.

Comment

Messy family situation

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

You are very welcome for the information and we hope everything will turn out alright for the two of you.
        It must be of some comfort to know your father's insurance should take care of a good portion of the hospital bill.

Please feel free to contact NRS again if you need any more information regarding your family situation.
        We are available 24hrs 7days a week through our crisis line 1-800-Runaway (786-2929), our website www.1800Runaway.org, (post bulletin or live chat) and our crisis email address [email protected].
        The NRS live chat is available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST).

Take care and good luck.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X