Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend is being abused.

Hello, recently my friend has revealed to me that she is being abused. Her parents strike her repeatedly, and evidently this has been going on for a while. In addition to her being beat, her parents have also kicked her out of the house occasionally. She has spent some nights outside in the dark, with no food. If she was lucky, she could scavenge whatever was in their garage. Only recently has she found the spare key to the family car, so she now hides in there when kicked out. She is only 14, so she can;t really survive on her own. Moreover, both her parents have cancer, so she still cares for them and loves them. That's the reason she hasn't said anything to anybody yet, she doesn't want them taken away due to their health problems. Both parents don't communicate very often, and the whole family tends to fight a lot. The only other family my friend has is far away, but she refuses to leave in worry of her parents health. I can't stand to see my friend like this, I don't know what to do! Please, help. I'm only 13 as well.

RE: My friend is being abused.

Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to us, it sounds like your friend has a lot going on and you aren’t quite sure how you can help her. Your friend should be able to feel safe in her own home and not have to worry about being kicked out, but it seems like she is worrying about her parents and their medical conditions. By contacting us you are showing that you really care about her and want her to be safe.

You said that your friend’s parents sometimes kick her out and now she spends those nights in their car. Do you think that your parents, or any of her other friends parents, would let her stay at their houses on those nights? Or, if that is not an option, we can always look up shelters for her, so that she has a safe place to sleep. Do you know if anybody else knows about her situation, or if she has ever talked to an adult about the abuse? It must be pretty scary for her going through that alone, but it sounds like she has a good friend in you. However, neither of you should have to deal with this.

You also mentioned that her parents have cancer; do you think that their health issues are connected with how they are treating your friend? If so, do you know if they currently receive any help for that issue? If they don’t, we can look up resources that may be able to help them, or help your friend talk to them with our conference call service.

Do you know if she has ever considered filing an abuse report? If she has, and filing a report is something that she wants to do, she can call us and we can help her through that process. Even if she doesn’t want to do that, she can contact us and we can try and find her resources to deal with her situation, our phone line 1-800-RUNAWAY is 24/7 confidential and anonymous, and you can live chat with us 4:30pm-11:30pm. If either of you call us we can offer a listening ear, talk through her options, and look up resources in your area (such as counseling, shelter, legal aid, and others).

We're here to listen and here to explore whatever options you and your friend might be looking for.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X