lying parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lying parents

im a 14 year old girl who loves to dance. this summer i recently auditioned for the philadelphia soul junior soulmates danceteam. its a pro dance team that performs a lot, which is what i want. i woke up at 6am on a saturday to drive downtown in 2 hours for the audition. i worked hard, tried my best, and got in. it was probably one of the happiest moments of my life. my mom registered me in and that was that. until one night about 2 months after, 2 weeks before our first practice, my mom tells me she called the director and canceled the whole thing for me because i do not have straight A's. right now i am a student with 3 A's and 2 B's out of 3 major subjects. i think it is extremely unfair for her to take something that important to me out of my life. she also said that dance is pointless, stupid, and that i will benefit nothing out of it. i cried my heart out that night and kept thinking whether its worth it to run away or not. but then my dad faked sympathy and told me to stop crying and that he promises to take me to the practice tomorrow. i believed him and i ask him to take me there tomorrow just to confirm he was telling the truth. he tells me he doesn't want to take me there and he really doesn't care about it at all. i tell him he lied to me and he says yes, so what? i feel like running away right now, but i'm sure ill be caught. i don't want to stay here crying for hours like that night before. what do i do?

Re: lying parents

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time right now. It has to be incredibly hard having something that you love so much taken away from you. It sounds like dance is something you are very passionate about and it is quite an accomplishment to be asked to join a pro dance team. It seems that your parents don’t understand how much this means to you. Have you tried to talk with them about how hurt you are over the loss of not being on the team? I know you mentioned your grades being an issue with them, and that was the main reason your mom took you off the team. Although it seems like you are doing quite well in school, it sounds as if your parents don’t feel the same way. Do you think you might be able to make a compromise with your parents? Perhaps if you sat down and talked with them and found out what they felt you needed to do to stay on the team, they may let you return. You mentioned that your mom drove you to the audition and originally signed you up, have you spoken to her about why now she will not let you continue with the program. If you don’t feel you can talk with your parents right now, do you think there is another way to communicate with them? Perhaps writing a letter and letting them know how you feel. Is there anyway you might be able to get in touch with the director of the dance program? Do you think you might be able to talk with him/her about the situation that is going on? I know you talked about thinking of running away, but having concerns about getting caught. Do you think that is your best option right now? Where would you go if you left? I don’t mean to be asking you so many questions, I’m just trying to come up with some options and get you thinking about what you feel would be best for you in this situation. Is there anyone else that you have talked to about this? A friend or perhaps a counselor at school? It’s understandable that you are this upset and sometimes it can help to talk through the issue with another person. I wanted to let you know that if you ever wanted to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY we could talk more in-depth about this situation. We are a completely confidential hotline and here 24 hours a day, so you can call at any time. Good luck with everything and give us a call if you need to.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X