Lonely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lonely

I'm 21, and I don't know if anyone can help me because I'm not a teen anymore. I just need to tell someone because I am too embarrass or confused. I don't talk, discuss, or do anything with my mom and stepdad and I am simply another body in this house. My mom thinks that everything is just fine in this family. I have two little brothers who I really love and I feel like I need to be a role model, but I am so emotionally and mentally abused that I feel like I am not capable of doing so. I go to school, I have a part time job for a very good company with decent pay, I can cover my emotions and problems with jokes and smiles. I just can't live with my parents anymore because I don't feel safe anymore. My stepfather has been trying to sleep in my bed when my mom isn't at home, and one morning he attempted to step in the shower while I was in it. Nothing further than that, but I don't want to stick around for the worst. I'm a extremely private person so I haven't told ANYONE, and I feel to embarrassed to say anything. I still don't have enough money to support myself but my parents really don't provide me with anything other than food and shelter (I guess these are important!) and I don't know how to tell my mom that I'm leaving without her having to ask me why. I really think that I'm gonna have to do some drastic changes like running away (even though I'm not a minor), leaving school and leaving my brothers and other family members (mostly stepfather's and people I'm also embarrassed to tell) behind.

Re: Lonely

I’m so glad you contacted us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are going through an extremely difficult situation right now, and it takes a lot of guts to be able to talk about a situation that you are not comfortable with. You don’t deserve to feel unsafe in your own home, and it’s not fair that your step-dad has been making you feel this way. How long has this behavior been going on? Had he tried anything like this with you before? I know you mentioned not wanting to tell anyone because you are a very private person and embarrassed about the situation. What do you think would happen if you talked with your mom about this? Is that an option you’ve considered? You are 21 so you have the right to leave the home, but I know you said you were concerned with having enough money to live on your own. Do you have any friends or family you could stay with? Anywhere you could go that would be a safe place? It doesn’t seem fair that you have to give up your life because of mistakes your step-father is making. I know that you mentioned feeling embarrassed, but what is going on right now is in no way your fault, and you have every right to tell someone that you are feeling unsafe. It’s understandable that you are having fears about talking with your family about this situation; do you think you might be able to talk with anyone else? A friend or a counselor? I wanted to let you know that we are here 24 hours a day to help and listen in anyway that we can. If you don’t feel you can talk to someone close to you, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are a completely confidential hotline and here whenever you need us. Going through a situation like this on your own can be extremely difficult, so I want you to know that if you need to talk and look at some options/resources we are here. Good luck with everything and please give us a call if you need to.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X