nothing makes sense anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nothing makes sense anymore

My father has always had a bad temper but today things got way out of hand. I spent my morning volunteering at a soup kitchen and afterward called my dad to pick me up. Once I go tin the car he started up a conversation we had the previous night, about how he wouldn't care if his hometown were burned to the ground with everyone in it, and it devastated me, I couldn't believe such a cruel and ignorant thing was coming from my own father. I kept crying and telling him to stop but he didn't care. Today when I got in the car he tried to continue this conversation, and I said "Oh my god, can you please stop talking about this. It's upsetting me." That's when he completely flipped out. He yelled the entire way home how I was ungrateful and how he has overestimated my intelligence and that I was stupid. Considering that I'm and honors student at a very competetive school this pretty much broke me, and the insults never stopped. He continues to yell at me about how I don't deserve to be able to do anything and he never wants to see anyone I associate with over my house ever again and threatened to physically hurt me. He didn't stop and told me to tell him if he was an idiot for how he raised me and I did not respond. He also said he will no longer be driving me anywhere, when he knows that the only way for me to get around, like to school or afterschool activities, is by car, and I am still too young to have my liscence so in that regard I depend on him. The screaming has been going on for several hours now and I honestly don't know what to do. I feel so uncomfortable at home here and I have no way of trying to reason with him or else he threatens to hurt me. He said if I left I would be disowned. I don't even know how the situation escalated this badly but I can't stop crying and don't know what to do but all I know is that I don't feel safe here, and worst of all my mother is completely indifferent on the situation. It just doesn't make sense that this abuse would come out of nowhere and I have no one to stand up for me, and no where to go. What should I do?

Re: nothing makes sense anymore

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us during the difficult time. We are sorry to hear your father is treating you this way, nobody deserves to be called names or made to feel worthless. It sounds very scary to have someone screaming at you for hours and threatening physical violence. You said your mom is indifferent, are there any other adults you could turn to for help in this situation such as a teacher or counselor at your school? If you feel unsafe or need to report child abuse you can contact Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or http://www.childhelp.org/. Do you have somewhere safe to go if you were to leave?

We are glad you are in a competitive school and on the honor roll, that is a difficult feat for anyone to accomplish! We are also glad that you take the time to volunteer at a soup kitchen, you sound like a very caring person with a bright future. It also sounds like your education is very important to you and you are concerned with getting to school every day since you depend on him for transportation. Are there buses or other ways to get to school and other after school activities until you get a license?

Here at the National Runaway Switchboard we cannot give advice or tell you what you should or shouldn’t do. However, we can help you explore options and offer any resources in your local area that may help. We are available 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are confidential, anonymous and toll-free. We are also available by live chat from 4:30-11:30 pm CST. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X