I dont know what to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont know what to do

Hi, im 13 and since I was about 8 my adoptive parents and I fight about like everything, (screaming, yelling, and the occasional hit or threatening to hurt me). I know i easily loose my temper, but they are really really hard to get along with. My mother is always threatening to send me to a boarding military school because she knows I would never do well. I'm always being forced to go to family therapy, something that I really hate because my parents make everything seem like its all my fault, which it really isn't. I really want to leave home and my mom says that if i was 16 shed throw me out any way. What should I do?

Re: I don't know what to do

Hi there,

We're so glad you reached out to us - we're a completely anonymous and confidential service, and we want to help you out in any way we can.

It sounds like you're having a really difficult time with your adoptive parents - I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this fighting. You mentioned that at times it can even get physical. Have you ever told anyone about your situation at home? You also mentioned that your mom has told you that when you turn 16 she is going to throw you out. In most states at 16 you are still considered a minor so if your mom did throw you out that could actually be considered a form of abuse called neglect. If you are being hurt or abused in your home you have every right to tell someone and even report it to child protective services if you would like.

You mentioned that it has gotten to the point that you are thinking of leaving home. If you did decide to go do you have a safe place that you would be able to stay?

If you'd like to talk to someone on our hotline about what's going on with your family, you can reach us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We also have an online chat that is available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. Now we are not here to tell you what to do, our main concern is your safety. Anyone who answers the phone would be happy to talk to you about what's going on at home and help you come up with some options for how to talk to your parents. We also have the ability to look up resources in your area such as youth counseling or even shelter options.

We wish you the best of luck and please feel free to reach out to us anytime.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

just like me

you are just like me i recently posted a forum if you want to see it including im your age

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to us and offering your support to others. It’s great that you are able to do that. Please remember, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week through our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I dont know what to do

I dont have any relatives who would ever understand what Im going through, and I dont want my friends parents to get tangled up in this. My brother is moving out when he turns 18 in 3 years and if I can Ill try and live with him, but in the mean time, Id really rather live on the street, my brother has taught me how to survive on my own, or maybe with my mentor. Right now my mom is threatening to make me stop going to a progressive school that really helps me and send me to some sort of school with a lock-down because she thinks im a thief and all.

Comment

Re: I don't know what to do

Hi there,

We’re so glad you reached out to us. We’re an anonymous and confidential service, and we want to help you in any way we can.

It sounds like you have a lot going on and that you’re having a hard time figuring out who you can to talk to about it. You said you don’t think your relatives would understand what you’re going through – could you elaborate a little bit on this? We don’t want you to share any information that would make you uncomfortable, but we would like to see if might be able to understand your situation.

You said you would rather live on the street right now than live at home – if you ever need any kind of shelter or food resources, you can feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re a toll-free, completely confidential, 24/7 hotline, and any of our volunteers would be happy to help you out.

Good luck with everything, and we hope things get easier with your family.

Comment

I don't know what I'm going to do.

Hi,

I'm 17, almost 18 and my guardian is going to kick me out this week, about a month before I'm 18. I don't know where I'm going to go. She makes it out that everything that goes wrong is my fault. She believes I'm a thief and a constant liar. I have lied before but most of the time I'm telling the truth. Anyway, I don't have anyone to help me. She's turned everyone against me. My "family", school, the police, neighbors, everyone, and none of my "friends want to help. I'm stuck inside the house because she said if i leave, she'll through out all my clothes and lock me out. Please help. I'm lost and have no one to help.

Comment

I don't know what to do

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what is going on with you right now. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot and just looking for some assistance. We are so glad you decided to contact us. You mentioned that you are almost 18 and at that point your guardian is going to kick you out of your home. It sounds like not only are you not getting support at home but that everyone else around you is not helping as well. We are sorry to hear that you are going through this. It also seems that one of your main concerns is where you would go if you did get put out. We want you to know that not only are we here to listen and provide support but we also have the ability to look up resources such as shelters and transitional living programs if needed. Have you thought about what kind of options may be available if you did have to leave? If you do want to discuss your situation more in depth and want some assistance with looking up resources in your area please know that there is always someone available at the National Runaway Switchboard to help. If you would like to speak with someone immediately you can always give us a call at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have an online chat that is available through our website from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. If you felt comfortable providing your city/state we may be able to look up some services in your area if you would like. All of our services are completely confidential and anonymous. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. You do not have to deal with your situation alone. Take care and be safe. We look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X