X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Thank you for reaching out to us and giving us some information about your situation. Hopefully, we can provide you with resources to help you further.

It sounds like you are currently living in a situation with a lot of people but you feel like you are alone. It also sounds like people say mean things to you and put you down quite often. We are sorry to hear that; nobody deserves to feel unsafe or afraid at home. If you were to go to your aunt’s house, how do you think your parents would react to you leaving? It sounds like your aunt is very supportive of you and that it’s a safe place for you to be.

If you were to go to your aunt’s house, do you think your parents would call the police or file a runaway report? Now, running away isn’t illegal but it is considered a status offense which is something you can’t do because you are under 18. If the police were to find you there, they may contact your parents or return you back home. It sounds like you don’t want to return back to your house if you were to leave. Now, we aren’t legally trained here so we don’t know exactly what you need to do for your aunt to become your guardian but we can definitely try to find you some resources that can help you out.

Please, give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) at anytime and we can help you locate those resources. You can also chat with us from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you would like to talk with someone that way instead.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    running away from my mom

well im 14 and i live with my mom and dad and my brothers uncle and cousin and there kid and girlfriend. im tired of bieng alone. physically and mentally. i am constantly told how bad i am and how i dont make a difference in tht house and how no one should talk to me cause im not worth it. i want to runaway to my aunts because im appreciated and there always thdre for me. i cut my wrist the past week trying to you know.... ND NOTHINGS WORKING I WANT TO RUNAWAY BUT I WANT TO STAY WITH MY AUNT AND NEVER HAVE TO GO BACK HOME.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    replied
    Re: Run Away

We’re glad that you found our information helpful and followed up with us about your current situation. You have some great questions, but unfortunately because we’re not legal experts it’s hard for us to give you the “worst case scenario.” What we can share is that in most places, running away is not against the law, but instead is considered a status offense. What that means is that if you are picked up by the police, you might not be “arrested” but instead, returned home. We do know that in many places harboring a runaway is considered against the law. So while you might not get in trouble, whoever you stay with (even your sister) could be putting themselves at legal risk. Again, laws and rights are different in various locations. What you might consider is contacting your local police department to ask about the laws in your area. If you call the non-emergency line, you can even be anonymous and ask questions without having to reveal your identity. Also, if you contact us, we could connect you with some legal aid in your area.

You mentioned that you’ve looked into emancipation as an option out of your parents’ house. It seems like that might not be realistic for you as you said it is a, “dead end.” Although we don’t have your specific information, you might be able to contact the Pennsylvania Youth Advocate at 814-849-1237 (9am-5pm Monday-Friday) for more information. Because you previously mentioned abuse from your father, another option may be reporting. Abuse reporting can sometimes lead to removal from the home, but depending on the scenario, it can take a significant amount of time. If you feel like you are at risk of harm or you are ever in an emergency, you can always call 911 or file an abuse report. You can file an abuse report to the Pennsylvania Child Abuse Reporting hotline at 1-800-932-0313 and you can do that with a trusted adult, by yourself or even with us if you call in. We want to make sure that you are safe and we want to support you through the process of finding safety.

It’s good to hear that even in these difficult times, you are not alone. Your sister seems like a healthy, ongoing support and it seems like she truly wants to help you. School and the future seem very important to you and you seem to be very thoughtful in planning ahead. We hope that you will be able to find the support you need and please don’t hesitate to contact us via telephone 1-800-RUNAWAY (24 hours a day/7 days a week) or via online chat at 1800runaway.org (4:30-11:30 CST).

Wishing you the best,
    -NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Run Away

Thank you very much for your input. I am sure I will be contacting these organizations you listed for me. Yes , my sister in law is a huge support system for me. Are you able to give me the worst case scenario if i ran away? And are these organizations going to be able to help me get out of my parents' house? I also researched emancipation in my state but it is pretty much a dead end in PA. It is almost impossible for me to prove the things they want. I was going to run to my sisters very soon. Although, I do not wanna miss school and I do not know if i can enroll myself in the district where my sister resides. My sister and I have sat down and made goals for myself for the reason why I am very goal oriented. She only wants whats best for me but her resources are limited. I just need to get out ASAP for my own safety.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    replied
    Re: Run Away

We are so glad that you reached out to the National Runaway Switchboard through our bulletin board. It sounds like you have many things going on and that you are looking for some additional help. It must be so difficult to be verbally and mentally abused by your father and to also have physical fights with him as well. You also mentioned that your parents are drinking a lot. Between the increased alcohol use and fighting, I’m wondering if you feel safe at home. If you ever feel unsafe at home, you do have other options such as calling the police or even abuse reporting. You don’t have to contact anybody, but if you feel unsafe and want help, you have many options.

It seems like your extended family is a strong support system to you. You’ve mentioned that your sister-in-law and aunt have been advocates for you. It seems like your sister-in-law in particular has helped you a lot with school and job searching. You seem very goal driven and responsible to be working so hard on work and school. It’s great that you have them both behind you and that you feel comfortable going to them.

Between talking to your parents, going to counseling and reaching out to your sister in law, it seems like you are really receptive to many options of support. You mentioned that talking to your parents wasn’t very helpful because it was, “just talk.” It can be frustrating to communicate openly and honestly with others when they don’t seem to turn words into actions. You also mentioned that they offered support to you in the form of counseling but that it ended before you really needed it. Rape can be an incredibly difficult experience and can be hard to talk about. Would being in counseling again be helpful for you? One organization called RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) has both a hotline (1-800-656-4673) and website (rainn.org) that you can reach out to. Additionally, if you want to contact us, we can help connect you with resources in your specific area. You seem like a very strong individual and we hope that we can provide you with additional help.

The National Runaway Switchboard is here for you via telephone 1-800-RUNAWAY (24 hours a day/7 days a week) or chat (4:30-11:30pm CST) and we are here to help you. We hope that you’ll be able to find the support that you are looking for and again, please don’t hesitate to contact the National Runaway Switchboard for further support.

Best of luck to you.
    -NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Run Away

Run Away

I am 15 years old and i am thinking of running away. Things have not been good at home for a while. I have tried talking to my parents about how i feel and ways we could make it better, but that is all it was.... TALK! nothing is improving. I am constantly verbally abused and mentally abused by my father. Sometimes things do get physical with my dad and I. My mother wont stick up for me because she doesn't want to fight with my dad. My aunt has offered to take me but my mom will not let me go. Only problem is that my aunt lives 2 hours away and i do not wanna leave friends. I try to spend most of my time with my sister in law that lives close to me. She has been helping me bring my grades back up in school and actually helping me find a part time job just so i can be out of the house to avoid the situations. I do have siblings and im the only one that is mistreated. I have also been raped in the past and my parents do not care, they had me in counciling but didnt care to keep taking me when i really need it. I feel that i will be well cared for with my sister in law, she has been through this with me for the past 8 years. My parents will not let me go to her place either but im seriously considering running away and staying with my sister in law. My parents also drink alot, probly every night, actually. A lot of people in my family will side wit me onthis but no one has the confidence to confront my dad.... please help!!!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X