Distraught

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distraught

My parents recently got divorced, and while it hasn't exactly been the greatest year in my life, its not like I'm going to turn to drugs or anything like that.
    On my birthday last year (2012), there was this huge argument in my house, and I figured out that
    my mom had smoked for longer than I had been alive. She got really angry and defensive, saying that
    I had no right to go through her things like that. (When in fact, she had asked me to go into her purse to
    get her lighter to light the candles on my cake. The only reason I think I've been staying strong throughout
    this whole ordeal is because of....

I really don't know how to finish that sentence right now. Listening to music helps alot, and so does playing the occasional video game. Which brings me to my next point.

About an hour ago, me and my brother sat down for a game of Madden. Now, me not knowing all that much about
    football, (as I am more of a hockey fan) got absolutely demolished. After the game, I decided to leave, not wanting to spend all of my time on an XBOX. Soon enough, me and my brother got into this huge argument which ended up with me in my mom's bedroom having no idea what to do, and my mom out the door, probably right
    now on the phone with my dad talking about splitting me and my brother up.

I'm not entirely convinced that I want to runaway or anything, but I just feel as if I don't talk to somebody about this soon I might not be able to keep that opinion. I've been on your website a few times just out of curiosity, and I really think that what you guys are doing is terrific.

Thanks,

A

RE: Distraught

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are having some problems with your family at home. How do you feel about being potentially split up from your brother? We are glad you have found a healthy way to deal with stress, like listening to music and playing videogames.

If you would like someone to talk to we are available 24/7 and are confidential, anonymous and toll free. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY ( 786-2929) or by live chat from 4:30 pm-11:30 pm CST at www.1800runaway.org, just click the big red LIVE button in the upper corner. We would like to talk to you about things that are going on at home and are always here to listen, here to help. Thanks for the words of encouragement, it’s always nice to be appreciated!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I cant dissapoint my family...so running away is the only way

Im Alex...im 14 and I live with my mother and I go to a school called JCIB... when I got accepted....my family told me I woudn't be able to do it...I wasnt smart enough. Well now...I guess they were right. Im failing all of my core classes.... I can't tell my mother....I cant stand my mother or any of my family being dissapointed in me....Im a failure....and I can't stay at home any longer...I cant risk my math teacher talking to my mother...so im leaving this Tuesday......someone had to know.

Comment

RE: I cant dissapoint my family...so running away is the only way

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us during this difficult time. It sounds like you are under a lot of pressure to do well in school. Have you thought about talking to a trusted adult at school about what is going on? It sounds like school is very important to you. Do you have a safe place to go to? What would you do for money and food? Have you thought about what other options you have? http://nationalsafeplace.org/ is an outreach program that has a network of safe places for runaways to go to should they run into trouble on the road.

Keep in mind that your mother may be able to file a runaway report if you leave. Although running away isn’t technically illegal, anyone that you would be staying with could be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’. Do you know anyone who would be willing to take that risk?

We are available 24/7 and are anonymous, confidential and toll free. You could call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to explore options and gather resources. We are also available by chat from 4:30 pm-11:30 pm CST at www.1800runaway.org. We are here to listen, here to help. We look forward to hearing from you!

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X