No announcement yet.

I'm 14 and need information!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 14 and need information!

    Man My grandparent's I live with are trying to put with my mom.Which my mom and step dad is very abusive(physical).So I got clothes,tooth brush,car,A good bit of money,and other supplies.But ate my age(14)could I be able to rent a apartment.And I'm still in school.But I still love my parents.Would they be arrested If I was to run away and miss a lot of school.And if I'm caught will I be arrested..But Can I stay at A hotel,apartment,or other place if I'm a minor and have enough money.

  • #2
    I'm 14 and need information!

    Thank you for contacting the national Runaway Switchboard.

    We are so sorry to hear about the situation at home with your grandparents.
    Have you any idea why your grandparents would be considering returning you back to your parents who you stated have physically abused you?

    Your concerns about moving back with your parents are very valid giving there is a history of physical abuse.
    No one deserves to be hurt in anyway.
    A person’s home should be a safe and comfortable place to be.

    Through all that you experienced with your parents it’s admirable to see that you still have love for them and would not want to see anything happen to them due to your running away.

    The things that happened to you are of no fault of your own.
    You have the right to be safe and there are services to assist children who are being abused.

    Childhelp USA-
    Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-422-4453
    Available: 24hours
    Justice for Children

    Hotline: 1-800-733-0059
    Available: 8am-5pm (CST)
    Not available 24hrs

    We hope that you have some outlet of support to help carry you through this ordeal.

    We are not legal experts so we can only offer a generalization to the law as it pertains to a youth who has run away from home.

    The law for most states list being a runaway as a status offense.
    A "status Offense" means it does not stay on your permanent record and at the most you would be detained not arrested if picked up by the police.
    They most likely would return you home or call your parents or gaurdians and release you to their custody once they arrive at the police station.

    Your parents or guardians are required to file a runaway report which usually takes 24hrs to go into the police data base N.C.I.C. (National Crime Information Center).
    This is the case in the majority of states.

    States usually have truancy laws in effect for school districts so legally your parents or guardians would most likely have the responsibility of contacting the school to notify them as to the reason for your being absent.
    These are things in place so parents may be protected of any charges by authorities for neglect of their parental duties.

    Does that make things seem a little clearer for you?

    You were also interested to get information about renting an apartment or hotel room etc.

    Is that correct?

    Are there any other family members you would feel safe living with?
    This option would at least provide you with a short term solution until something else can be considered.

    NRS has a national data base that may allow us to provide you with some emergency shelter or safe place referrals.
    How does that sound?

    Each state may have laws that do not allow a minor to rent an apartment or a hotel room.
    We do not have specific information in regards to this question.

    Please feel free to give NRS a call at our
    1-800-Runaway (786-2929) 24hr crisis line or send us a crisis email at

    We also are available for live chat through the NRS website at .
    The NRS Live Chat service is available 7days a week from 4:30pm until 11:30pm.

    Through any of these services we can we can explore options for legal referrals in your area.
    We hope that this helps in providing you a better sense of understanding to your questions.

    You have shown some great initiative by reaching out looking for get help with your situation.
    It appears you are facing a pretty tough time.

    Hang in there you are doing a great job in trying to protect yourself.

    We thank you for contacting NRS with your concerns about such a serious matter.
    We hope that you can remain in a safe environment.

    Remember if you have any more questions NRS is available 24hrs a day at: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929).

    Take care and good luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp