Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There A Way Out?

I want to run away from home. I live in a house where my parents yell and fight a lot. They get angry if me or my little sister and brother do something wrong or by accident. My dad used to drink alcohol but he's stop, but he still gets sudden bursts of anger. Being the oldest they give me the hardest time. They yell at me constantly and I've had it. I also have had a bad break up so I'm wondering if it'll just be fine to head into the streets. I can't handle it anymore. I wanna run, but I'm worried about my siblings. Should I try to talk to my parents? If I do I probably won't know what to say. I've never talked to them before.

re: Is There A Way Out?

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We are sorry to hear about the way things are going for you and your siblings at home. It seems that you are concerned with your siblings’ well fare and doesn’t want to leave them. It sounds like you have thought about talking to your parents but is unsure of what to say. Unfortunately we cannot tell you what you should or shouldn’t say but we can discuss some options. It sounds like you are your siblings are constantly punished even for things that may be mistakes which doesn’t sound fair. Have you ever been able to express to your parents how their fighting makes you feel? Have you thought about making a list of things that you have never been able to say but would like to say to your parents? Since this will be the first time that you talk to your parents, bringing a list of questions or concerns could be a good idea.

If you have any more questions or would like to discuss your plan in further details, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, confidential, anonymous, and available 24/7.

Best Wishes

~NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 07-21-2012, 10:43 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I don't know what to do...

Hi, I'm fourteen years old and I live with my extremely alcoholic mother half of the time. She threatens me and almost hits me every single night. She has never actually hit me but I'm scared that she is going to hit me this week. She curses at me constantly, calling me a f*****g selfish b***h almost every night. It gets so bad sometimes that I have thought about killing myself. I need my dad to have full custody and if that doesn't happen I have to runaway. I can't stand my mother anymore.

Comment

Re: Is there a way out?

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sounds like you’re going through a very intense time right now. It’s good that you’ve contacted us. Hopefully we’ll be able to offer some help so that you can feel safer and better about things.

Sorry to hear that your mom is treating you that way. No one deserves that. What is usually happening when you mom yells at you? Does it come out of nowhere and how long has this been going on?

You mentioned killing yourself. Have you ever actually done anything to contribute to that? How serious are you of committing that and does anyone else know about this? It’s sometimes a good idea to talk to people about these instances even if we don’t’ feel that way anymore. That way we can have all the support we need if we ever feel that way again.

If something comes up and you are feeling like killing yourself again you can call these good folks at:

National Suicide Hotline
        1800-273-TALK (8255)

They’re available 24 hours.

Also, what’s being done so that your dad get’s all of the custody? Sometimes going to court or speaking with social services is the only way to do that. Have you talked about it with your father? What does he think about getting all of the custody? It can be a long process especially if your mom will fight him for it.

You’ve got a very large issue on your hands and you don’t’ have to deal with it alone. We’re here to help explore everything with you. If you’re willing and able, please call our hotline and speak with someone about your situation. We can see what other options might be available to you. We’re anonymous and confidential and available 24/7. Call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) anytime!

Best of luck,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I want to leave home

My mom and I have been through a lot this past year. Last year i was taken in by children & Families, because my mom had beat me. My mom and little brother's dad hold a lot of my past over my head. But since i've been back(a little over a month) i havent been able to do anything bc i lost my virginity to my bf of 2yrs at my friends house. So one day while i was home alone i toke her truck and she found out, she didnt just talk to me, she called me garbage, and im worthless, and i wont be anything in life but i hood rat. I know i was wrong and i honestly dont know why i did it. When i moved i lived with my dad and he was a true alcoholic. So it seemd like no matter where i go im not worthy and its not an healthy enviorment. The only people that treated me right is my friend and her parents, but idk how i could get permission to live there. Because our case is still open and im trying to wait until its closed so i can move out without dcf looking for me etc... Im looking into emancipation,but i have no car or money. what should i do?!

Comment

Re: is there w away out?

Wow. It sounds like you have been and are going through a lot. I think it’s great that you reached out and emailed. And, I want to let you know right from the start that you are always welcome to call us. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. The number is completely anonymous and confidential, and, there is no judgment. From what you’ve said, it sounds like there are a number of people in your life who have been judgmental, from your mom and your little brother’s dad holding stuff from the past over your head, to being called names. No one deserves to be called garbage or told they are worthless. Every person has worth…including you. I’m sure it’s easier for me to say than it might be to believe it, but you do. You have worth.

I’m not sure how old you are, but I do know that emancipation can be quite a long process. And, typically, young people have to show that they can support themselves (having a job and paying for an apartment, etc)..unfortunately, it can be pretty tough. I’m not saying you shouldn’t pursue it, just want to be honest about what you might run into/up against. That being said, we can definitely give you contact information for free legal support in your area (we would need to know city/state) if it is something you would like to talk to a legal professional about.

This might sound weird, but I think it’s great that you recognize when environments are not healthy. And, as hard as it seems, I want to encourage you to not give up on trying to find a healthy environment. You deserve to live in one. I am glad to hear, too, that your friend and her parents treat you the way you deserve to be treated. It sounds like you have a lot of smarts in terms of recognizing DCF might look for you if you left home with an open case. It is something to think about. I can’t say for sure what would happen with that. I’m wondering what your experience has been with DCF? Do you have a case worker that has been helpful? Or not?

Like I said at the start, there seems to be a lot going on. Because there are so many things happening, it might be easier to talk things through? We don’t have caller ID, we don’t record calls…it’s totally anonymous. We also have a chat service that’s “live” 4:30 p – 11:30 p CST. You are welcome to call, or chat, or send another email. I wish I had an answer to what you should do. I think, though, that you know your situation the best. We are definitely here and available to discuss options…any time. We’re a listening ear, non-judgmental support, advocates, whatever you need…don’t hesitate to ask.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
            x
            x
            Working...
            X