I don't know what to do anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what to do anymore

I always wanted to spend the night at my best friend's house but I knew my parents would say no. My friend said not to call them because if I did, they would come to pick me up and she didn't want that. I was only there for 4 hours but my mom had already called the cops and said I was a runaway. I called my mom finally and asked her to pick me up, when we got home everyone was sleeping. The next day two police officers came in my room, pulled my blankets off of me and started asking questions that I didn't feel comfortable answering. One of them made me cry, he tried to have me shake his hand but I didn't want to. I couldn't believe my mom had let that happen. She smokes cigarettes and sometimes looks at me in a mean way, my dad has stress issues. He can't handle them very well. I'm only 13 years old but I don't want to live in this house anymore, I wish I could just run away and never come back. I told my parents and my aunt that I was going to run away, but my dad said "If you run away don't come back, tell us when you're going to run away". My aunt started laughing like it was a joke but I didn't take it as a joke at all.

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard and asking for assistance. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now and we’re glad that you have reached out to us. We are a confidential and anonymous hotline for youth in crisis; you can reach us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with someone from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week.

It sounds like you tried to stay at your best friend’s house but your mom filed you as a runaway and found where you were. She picked you up and brought you home where two police officers tried to talk to you the next day but you weren’t comfortable talking to them. It sounds like you were hurt that your mom let this happen. We’re sorry to hear that such a scary thing happened to you. Nobody deserves to feel unsafe or scared in their homes.

It sounds like you have thought about running away before but your parents don’t take you seriously, is that correct? If you were to leave home, do you know where you might go or who you might stay with? One of the things we can do is try to find you shelter or another safe place to go so you aren’t on the streets. We are also here to talk with you about what is going on but we would not tell you what to do or not do. Also, you can go to our website where you will find a list of possible things to think about before leaving (http://www.1800runaway.org/youth/nrs_can_help/).

Please give us a call if you would like to talk more about what is going on or to discuss what options may be available to you. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X