im 18 and im leaving home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr.

My only larent has been incredibly neglectful and toxic to me, costing my highschool education. I don't want to go into many details, but I will have completed my GED this year, I am, would I be able to leave and move to another state? I grew up in Oregon, but she has moved me to Louisiana last year while I was 17 and unable to emancipate myself. Would I legally be allowd to take my cery few childhood belongings and move to Oregon? I plan to find a job as soon as I get there so I can pay for my own phone plan and rent. Is there any way she could interfere with this plan?

Comment

RE: Mr.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to hear that you felt neglected by your parent. It sounds like you are Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live, so your parent should not be able to keep you from moving back to Oregon. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parent for currently, such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can. Please don't hesitate to give us a call or chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Help

I'm 18 still in high school with no birth certificate,no money no nothing but don't wanna live with my father anymore things have been really rough we just got out a Dss case but it's still the same what can I do

Comment

Re: im 18 and im leaving home

Hello,
          Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that things have become so difficult for you at home that you do not want to live there anymore.
          The good news is that since you are 18 you are legally an adult so this means that you can leave your father’s house. Unfortunately you mentioned that you do not have your birth certificate or any money. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving is a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It is also helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can. 1-800-RUNAWAY
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Court order over 18 year old child custody

I am turning 18 in a few weeks, I wanna leave the house. This all started when he got full custody of me and my sister. I was living somewhere that child services did not like so they put me with my dad which was the age 17 as I am now. I told dad I was leaving the house and he said the court order apparently says "you have to stay with your dad until you graduate" or something like that. From what I understood court order can't hold you after 18 due to taking away your rights. If the court order says this then it drops when I'm 18 right?

Comment

RE: Court order over 18 year old child custody

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like a really tough situation. We are not legal experts, but we can state that in general, 18 is considered the legal age of majority. A few states have older age of majority, but generally once you turn 18 you are free to live where you choose. Sometimes the age of majority is set higher to ensure that a youth can't be kicked out of the house when they are still in high school. If you move out after your 18th birthday, your father probably won't be able to do anything to force you to come home. However, a good way to find out for sure would be to call your local police non-emergency number and ask. If you need help or you have any questions, feel free to reach out.Moving is a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It is also helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

I'm 18 and want to leave home.

Hi, so I moved to the western part of the US about a year ago. My mother is still in the east and I dont talk to her out of hatred. I currently live with my Dad and his girlfriend and my two younger siblings. My Dad is abusive and every time something comes up that I did wrong, he says how I dont have to be fed, its "his" food. He says its his house and he doesnt need me. This morning he stormed into my room and without even questioning me like a normal person, yelled at me for "breaking a hair clipper". I tried to explain myself and he yelled at me and wouldnt listen. He began throwing things at me and when I threw something back, he hit me and we got into a fist fight. We eventually got into the position where I was in a choke hold and he squeezed me throat until I couldnt even cry out for help. I go to school still even though it is my last year. I also work and have about $600 saved up and Ive been trying to look for rooms for rent. I dont know what to do but I do know that I shouldn't have to deal with this. Im thinking about talking to my counselor at school tomorrow but im not sure how much they can really help.

Comment

Hello,
                  Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you do not have the best relationship with your family and it has even come to physical violence between you and your dad. You are right do not have to deal with your dad being abusive to you. It is amazing that you have been thinking about the future and saving your money. Looking into roommates is something that a lot of youth do when they first move out of their parents’ house. You had another great point of talking to your school counselor, they might be able to help you get in contact with other youth who are in the same situation of looking for a roommate or low income student housing.
                  You sound like a really smart person who has already come up with a few really great ideas of how to make your situation better for yourself. If you want we also have a data base of resources that might be able to help you look into transitional living programs. These are programs where you go and live at facility that teaches life skills and money management.
                  Additionally if you ever feel like your safety is in danger again we would like you to know that you do have the right to contact the police. You do not have to live somewhere you are in constant danger or do not feel safe.
                  If you feel comfortable you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you. 1-800- RUNAWAY

Comment

Ive been confused

Ive been confused all this time.... My dad found out everything between my boyfriend... our sexual relationship even by my cusion snitching.. He doesnt allow me to see him, not even at school where Im supervised!... So Ive been thinking of moving out once Im 18 with my bf. His parents and grandparents help alot so I know we'd be okay... thing is, im not a citizen... And Once I turn 18, ill be in high school as my last year, which I want to finish and graduate... Is it possible to transfer to a new school, and run away at 18 even if ur not a citizen? Im just a common mexican.. I also really want to go to college! and im sure i can with scholar ships... I just cant take it... When my mom passed away at the age of 10.. my dad use to hit is, even before tht but of course, she'd defend us.... I know my dad loves me... but I cant forgive him for what hes doing..... he even embaraased me last night, when i tried to see him... and i couldnt... yelling at his parents y they let it happened... but when it was at my house cause he was watching us... it was his fault.. thank u for helping..

Comment

RE: Ive been confused

Hello there -

If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

We hope that you found our email to you helpful.

Comment

i'm 18 and leaving home

For some time I have been frustrated and tired of my situation. My mom and I don't get along very well. She treats really bad. Our relationship have gotten worse throughout the years, and there been multiple times where she will negate me, insult me, and sometimes even hit me. I have been considering to run away from home, because I can't take this environment anymore. I'm becoming sick and I really need some type of place where I can stay.

Comment

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re relationship with your mother is a very challenging. Feeling safe at home is important and no one should have to endure being physically threatened. Housing options for youth vary greatly by city and state and require some focused communication. Alternative housing for youth is a topic we handle frequently over our youth crisis phone line. Consider contacting our 24 hour confidential helpline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). Another option would be to use our chat feature accessible from our website which is accessible 4:30PM-11:30PM Central Standard Time. Whichever option you choose, our “liner” will work with you to come up with an action plan to keep you safe. This action plan may include checking our youth resource database to see if there are any transitional housing or youth shelters in your area that might fit your needs. We appreciate you reaching out to us.

Comment

Leaving

i plan on leaving home the night i turn 18 while everyone sleeps. life here is just too stressful and i cant take it anymore. constant fighting and screaming and i always have to break it up and get physical with my dad which escalates the situation and makes everyone hate me. they constantly take money that i earn at my job to pay for whatever they want and they dont pay me back. ive given them well over $1000. all i want to know is can they call the police on me or look for me if i leave. because i plan on leaving to a whole different state and starting EVERYTHING from scratch.

Comment

Re: Leaving

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Your description of your family situation sounds very challenging. You sound like you are in the process of creating an action plan to take the right steps to take charge of your life and get to a less stressful living situation.

You asked what are your parent's options to call the police on you if you leave their home without their permission. It is difficult to answer your question without knowing which state your family lives in. Each state has its own statutes on when youth reaches the age of majority. (legal adult status) Once they’ve reached that age, youth should have full rights to decide where and with whom they live. Therefore, if you are in a state where once reaching the age of 18 gives you that majority, your parents contacting the police should have no impact on you. When you reach legal adulthood, you should not need their permission and the police will likely tell you the same.

Let us know if you need further support to discuss your action plan and and verify your state's age of majority statues. The best way to get this information quickly is to contact us directly. You can confidentially call us 24 a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). Another option is contact us through our chat line from 4PM-11PM accessed through our website www.1800runaway.org.

Thank you for sharing your situation on the National Runaway Safeline Forum. Hopefully other youth will benefit from you sharing your story. We hope the information above will support you finding a safe non-abusive living situation. Best of luck!

Comment

I wanna leave home but could I survive financially and have a future

Hi, I turned 18 months ago. Things have gotten so hard at home. We are continuously fights and saying the worst things to each other.. my mom wants to kick me out. And it's still going down hill I can't be here anymore it. At times I'd rather just stay at school or home. I have a place already if I decide to leave and I won't have to pay rent but is it a good idea to leave could I make a life for my self and go to college. I have a job and ik that I could be ok but what if I screw up my future by leaving.. but I can't stay here. I just need advice if this is a good idea for me. Thank you!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X