Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: im 18 and im leaving home

Hey there,

Thanks for writing to us here at NRS. It sounds like you are ready to live independently from your parents but when you told them of your plan they were upset with the decision. We are unsure if your parents would file you or what would happen if your parents filed you as missing. We are based in the United States and aren't too familiar with Australia laws, but police generally cannot force an adult back home. It may help to just double check with local law enforcement. It seems your parents are concerned about you being on your own and away from them at 19. It sounds like you're in a tough place as you don't want your parents to file a report on you, but you also feel ready to be independent.

It may help to try to revisit the idea with your parents. Ultimately, police cannot force you to stay home. However, talking things through to prevent a missing adult report being made may be helpful with cooperation from everyone involved.

Kids Helpline for teens 13-25 https://kidshelpline.com.au/teens/ may be a helpful resource to sort through options.

We wish you luck and hope you stay safe.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My screwed up life

Well..I've been 18 since September working 17 hours a week which is part time at McDonald's.To cut to the chase,my parents aren't giving me my SSI benefits at all and my father is verbally abusive,,I mean.. I've been abused as a child but I'm still with my biological family wishing that I was adopted ever since. Belt marks another thing is that I just want to have peace pretty soon, because I have been through so much.

Comment

Re: My screwed up life

Hi there,

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We're sorry to hear you're experiencing a rough time at home right now. You don't deserve to be hurt by anyone in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

It sounds frustrating that you are expected to be receiving SS benefits but aren't getting them from your parents. It may help to contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to talk about how you can become your own payee if you aren't currently.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

~

I am 18 years old and in a pretty tough spot at home. My parents have always been very restricting (not allowing me to make my own decisions regarding just about anything) and have placed a lot of unnecessary rules on me that make it difficult to carry on the path I want to take. Recently I mentioned to them that I would like to leave home now that I'm 18 and they went crazy. After years of verbal abuse and my mom wanting to send me away, I was shocked that they both took it so harshly. She told me to consider how this decision would affect my family and the people around me. After thinking, I decided I should stay, but now they expect even more out of me. They want me to quit my current job and pay a hefty rent to live under their roof as well as take my car and my phone. I am heavily considering leaving now because living here has become stressful to the point where I can barely eat or sleep. My extended family would not understand the situation because they are much the same with there own children and my best friend and I recently had a falling out. I have no one to go to and have little options. A little while ago I shared some of this information with a friend at work and she told me I could stay with her and her mom if needed, but I don't know her very well and would hate to be a burden. I was wondering if you could provide me with a few steps I could take to start out. Thank you.

Comment

Re: ~

Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation at home, and you should know you never deserve to be abused in any way. It sounds like your parents were upset when you brought up moving out. Since you are over the age of 18, you are considered to be a legal adult. This means that you have a right to choose where you live. Legally, your parents cannot force you to come home if you decide to move out. We can help you figure out a plan for how to stay safe and move out on your own. It might help to talk to your parents about your feelings and consider how moving out now will affect your relationship you have with your parents in the future. We have a large national database of shelter resources if you feel you need to leave immediately. We can also talk about your options and help you make a plan for how you can move out on your own. You could consider moving in with a friend, family member, or roommate. It may be helpful to consider what you depend on your [parents] for, such as food, shelter, or tuition expenses for school, and make a plan for how you can provide those things for yourself if they stop supporting you after you move out. Moving out on your own can be scary and exciting, and we are here to listen and help you stay safe. Please don’t hesitate to call if you need to talk. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

i need to go

Im 18 and i need to go i left when i was 16 from my dads mom house to take care of my baby sis and sister that were caught in My moms abusive .relatioship then got left there from the abusive when i was 17 and now im with my dad who is a felon and who i havent seen in years since he skipped out on my family when i was 11.....so im back with him and im ready to leave because its to stressful here and want to move back to california (im in north carolina) to finish school and be on my own but he said i cant leave and beat me yesterday making me bleed from a gash he gave me and threatened me with a knife and said if i leave he will kill me......i need to leave but i have no way to california because he is going to try to get me and i need somewhere to go so.he cant grab me so i can finally get my life on track and started

Comment

re: i need to go

Hello,

From what you shared, you want to leave home to live on your own in California. You mentioned that your dad threatened to kill you if try to leave. That must be pretty stressful for you to think about! If you feel that you are in danger of being harmed, you have a right to reach out for help. Being 18, you are most likely able to live on your own and considered a legal adult. However, it can be hard to get across the country with little or no money. Do you have any income or friends who can help you to get to where you want to be? Is there anyone you trust to help you stay safe? You may want to consider those options and think of people who can be supportive for you. If you want to reach to someone, you can contact Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453. They work with youth who are experiencing abuse and can possibly give you ways to stay safe. There may possibly be shelters where you are. You can contact us or do some research on your own for places as well. If we can do anything to help, let us know. We are available 24/7.

Take care,
                NRS

Comment

Almost 18 susidal and wanting to leave

So my aunt and uncle who have gardian ship of me says I can't leave because I'm still in high school and I'm on depression meds and suisidal can I get the cops called on me if I was 18 still in school and suisidal , but have lots of help to transfer my stuff where I'd like to go ?

Comment

RE: Almost 18 susidal and wanting to leave

Hi There!

Thanks for utilizing our public forum. It looks like we have replied to you via email. If there is anything that we can do to further help, be of some support, or to clarify anything discussed please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY.
                    If you ever want to talk you can also call the National Suicide Hotline at 1800-273-TALK or visit their website to live chat.

Best Wishes,
                    NRS

Comment

Re: im 18 and im

I'm 18 and I'm on SSI also still in school. It's hard at home my step dad constantly gets in my face and yells at my, my mom doesn't do anything about it but when I get loud with him I have to apologize and I'm not understanding why I'm getting treated this way. Have a 20 year old boyfriend he lives with him mom and she's an ordain minister is it legal for me to move in with them and whould my parents be able too call the cops saying I ran away, was kiddnapped or file me as a missing person. I do have a Ohio ID to. I would like to know my rights and options on if I can leave home and be a student on SSI

Comment

Re: im 18 and im

Hello There!

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is a great first step to finding the help and info that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot being home. You are very resilient and courageous for reaching out and for wanting to make your situation better. You can get through this and you are not alone. It sounds like you have a support system with your boyfriend and his mother, which is great. We are also always here to talk and better support you at 1800-RUNAWAY.

You mentioned that you are considering leaving home. If this is what you feel is your best option is, thinking of the future is a big part of keeping yourself safe. This can mean thinking of what your family’s reaction would be. We are not legal experts here, but typically if you are 18 in most states this is considered to be an adult. Meaning, you can make the decision to leave home without the need of permission from parents or guardians. However, this is regarding runaway reports, we are not able to confidently answer how your district handles missing person’s reports or kidnapping charges. One way to get this specific information is to call out to your local police district via their non-emergency number to inquire about these two aspects. If you feel more comfortable doing this with some help, you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can call on your behalf or alongside you.

Regarding being a student on SSI, you might want to talk to your local social security office if this means you would need to change the address or way that you receive this income or if leaving home would affect this. Here is a link that may help you navigate this. https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm

We hope this was helpful. Remeber you can always call us confidentially!

Best Wishes,
                        NRS

Comment

extra advice needed greatly!

hello! I'm an 18 year old graduate looking to leave my parents home. although my dad is a great guy, and he wants the best for me, my step mother and her daughter are monsters. I've had enough of their verbal abuse that I've made the decision to leave as fast as I can. unfortunately, due to her, I don't have a license, and my car is her old car(my dad had to beg.) in all reality, I'm practically her maid, and someone who she can put the blame on. I have been applying for jobs and tomorrow is my second interview, but I don't have any money to help me to get anywhere right now. I'm waiting until next year for college. I do have a great friend who will let me move in with him, but I just don't have the courage to leave my dad without telling him, but if I do tell him I feel he'll be heartbroken. I'm also afraid that of I leave and I'm unable to take some of my things, my parents will become extremely angry and ruin things. another unfortunate thing is that my father has EXTREME anger issues, and is possibly bipolar(he has thrown multiple phones I've had.) this is a very tough decision for me, and I'm not sure where to go or what to do. thank you for your help.

Comment

RE: extra advice needed greatly!

Hello There,
                            Thanks for coming to National Runaway Safeline today.
                            We’re sorry to hear about what’s been happening at home. It sounds like your stepmom is making life really difficult right now. You don’t deserve to be treated like a maid and you certainly have the right to live free of verbal abuse.
                            We’re really glad to hear about your job opportunity. Good luck on your interview! Having financial stability might be your first step in gaining you independence. It might be a good idea to start saving what you can for the move you want to make.
                            It sounds like you might have some thinking to do about what to tell dad when the time comes to move out. We can help with that. If you’d like, we can help with a conference call to dad and help you explain your side of things and what you’d like to do. We can be reached here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you wanted to call just to talk about how to bring this up with dad, we’re here for that too. We can also come up with a safety plan if you think dad’s anger issues might be a factor in all this. Our mission is to help you in any way we can.
                            Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

Weird situation

Hello. Im 18 and want to leave home to study. Though my parents want the best for me, they are in a way restricting me from doing it. I dont know if I can leave and study on a campus like tafe. My parents also make me follow a religion that I do not want to follow. Really I would like to see my options on moving out. Also I have signed a contract to work for a company. I dont know if Ican just leave.

Comment

Weird Situation

Hello,
                                Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

In most states the legal age to move out to be independent is eighteen.
                                This means that legally you can make your own choices.
                                As for the work contract you said was signed by you... seeking legal counsel might be something to consider for help.
                                If you would like to speak more about your situation contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or via www.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Take Care,
                                NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X