im 18 and im leaving home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18 and can't live with my parents anymore

Hi I'm 18 My mom always treating me as if I'm nothing and my dad just does nothing but tell me to be patient and doesn't even say that what she saying is wrong he just yells at me or does nothing my mom done verbally abused me since i was little and i think it's really messed with me mentally i have places where i can go but to say and live but to come to one of my parents and say I'm gonna leave I'm afraid that I'm gonna be hurt physically I have done thought about running away but now I'm eighteen i want to know if it ok for me to leave because its gotten to the point where i can't handle it anymore

Comment

Re: im 18 and im leaving home

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like living at home with your parents has been really difficult for you and you’ve decided that leaving home would be your best option. We're sorry that you've been made to feel unsafe, that is not ok and we hope that you are in a safe place.You’ve asked questions about your ability to leave home at the age of 18. We’re not legal experts, but we will try to provide you with information that can help you decide what to do.

In most states, the legal age of majority is 18 years old. As far as we understand the law, if you are considered a legal adult, your parents can no longer file a runaway report with your local police department if you leave home. You can find out if you are considered a legal adult by reaching out to your local police department at their non-emergency number and they will confirm whether you can leave your home at the age of 18 in your state. You expressed some concern about being physically harmed if you tell your family that you want to leave. No one has the right to make you feel unsafe, and if you feel you need help to leave home, it may be a good idea to find it if your local police department can step in to make sure you can leave safely. You also mentioned that you may have a place to go, perhaps whomever you would be staying with can also offer you support and possibly go with you when you decide to leave to help keep the peace. However you decide to approach it, we hope that you do it in a way that can keep you safe.

We’re so sorry to hear that you’ve been made to feel unsafe, but we are glad that you felt comfortable in reaching out to us. If you need help reaching out to your local police department, or even if you just feel like talking to someone, please feel free to reach out to us. We are here to support you regardless of what you decide to do, and we’re available 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), as well as by chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We’re here to listen, we’re here to help. Stay safe.

-NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

18 n wanting to leave

I'm 18 and wanting to leave home. I am unhappy at home I've been wanting to leave for a few years now but I have no money and no friends or family to stay with. I'm not sure what to do. Please help

Comment

RE: 18 n wanting to leave

Thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you have struggled with this situation for a long time. But it’s great that you’re reaching out and trying to figure out a next step.
          Leaving home at 18 is doable, especially because you are no longer under guardianship. It’s common to feel overwhelmed by this, but it might be less overwhelming if you break the process down into concrete steps. So, consider, what would you need to live alone. Consider if you could find a place to stay, how you would do that, and how much that would cost. And think about what sort of job you would need.
          Each of these steps might seem hard at first, but will get easier. We are here to help you find any resources you might need and provide support. Also, be sure to consider your safety throughout this process. If you are finishing school, having a high school degree or getting your GED can be really helpful as you start your life.
          Also, it might be worth exploring building your support network. Think about who you know who you respect or might trust. There could be someone at school, or a family member who you could reach out to. It’s always vital to have people you can confide in and talk to about the issues you’re facing. This might help you cope with being unhappy at home, as well as with your efforts to move on.
          You can also call us. We are open 24/7 and can take time to listen to what you are going through, and also connect you with the resources in our databases which might help, like counseling services.
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

I'm 19 years old. I have no bed at my house. I hardly ever sleep because I never have anywhere to sleep at home. My house is infested with bed bugs. I go to college, but I don't work. I own a car and I have a gym membership. Where could I go if I wanted to leave home?

Comment

Re: Re: im 18 and im leaving home

Hello,

Thank you so much for reaching out. It can be very difficult to ask for help and it was very brave of you to do so. It sounds like your situation at home is very upsetting and difficult for you. It must be very frustrating for you to not have somewhere for you to sleep.

We are not legal experts, but because you are 19 you have the right to move out. It can helpful to have a plan before doing so and you can call us at any time for help making one. If you would like help finding a shelter, feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7 365 days a year. If you are able to get a job, hud.gov is a great resource for help finding affordable housing.

Thanks again for reaching out. It sounds like your situation at home has been very hard for you and it was very brave of you to ask for help. It’s great to see that you are trying to figure out what your options are. Again, please feel free to call in at any point if you would like help finding any resources or would like to discuss your situation further.

Best,
              NRS

Comment

My life

I am an 18 year old girl i have so many problems at home and I want to leave. I want to go some where far from home and won't come back please can i get any assistance.? Because I want like to leave now

Comment

Hello there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you're going through a lot right now at home, and you mentioned wanting to leave because of everything happening. We are sorry you are feeling like you can't stay there any more. We, unfortunately, do not offer assistance leaving home. We offer support and referrals. If you ever found yourself with nowhere to go, please consider calling our crisis line at 1-800-786-2929 so that we can offer you a safe place/shelter that you can go to.

We are here to listen and to help explore safe options. We're glad you reached out as it seems you would like some help exploring exactly what your options are. The best way that we can help is by phone or chat. Please reach out soon.

Be safe,

NRS
                  Last edited by ccsmod6; 05-11-2016, 07:18 AM.

Comment

leaving home

I am leaving home I wanted to be a director and my family not gonna support me anyway but I didn't tell them yet they love me so much what should I do

Comment

Reply: Leaving home

Hello,
                      Thanks for posting to NRS.

Perhaps you might consider calling 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to tell us more about your situation.
                      Talking things through might allow you to come up with some options as to how you might communicate your feelings to your parents.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.

Take Care,
                      NRS

Comment

need help serious help

Hi i left home march 9 2016 because my mom keep leaving me at Home with her kids and she also was stopping me from. Gong to To school. So i left and now i live with my girlfriend. And she help me go ti school and with my work i use to go to northwestern high school in detroit Michigan i was in. 10 and i had only 3 credits but now since i live with my girlfriend i go to this alternative school i hve 7 1/2 credits i need 20 to graduate so ill be graduating. Next year so i need my birth certificate and ssn to be able to get a Job and feel out college forms and she wont give it to me by the way im 15 ill be 16 September. 6 can yall please help me 😥😥😥😪😥😓

Comment

re: need help need serious help

Hi,

You mentioned that you have been gone from home and are living with your girlfriend. But you will be finishing school soon and need your birth documents. We do want to let you know that we aren't legal experts here, but that may be hard to do if you are a minor. You mom is technically still legally responsible for you. So you may not be able to get those documents on your own. Once you are 18 though, you may be able to go down to your local court records office in the town you are born and request copies of those documents. If you have any further questions, we recommend you call your local court for more information. Hopefully they can help!

Good luck,
                          NRS

Comment

I don't know what to do..

I'm 18 years old & just graduated high school about 2 weeks ago. I have been wanting to move out for a while and I finally got the urge to tell my parents but when I tried they didn't let me. They said it doesn't matter if I'm 18, they are not letting me leave so I told them I'm still going to do it, they are not going to stop me. I'm tired of living in this house, I am going to the military and I was going to move in with my grandma before I get shipped off but they aren't letting me cause when I did try to move with my grandma they forced me to go back home with them. I was just wondering if I moved out one day while they are not home but I leave a note saying that I moved out and I will call them when I get where I'm at can they put me as a run away or missing person?

Comment

re: I don't know what to do..

Hey there,

You seem to have a plan for what you want to do when you move out from home. If you are 18 years old, you would most likely be considered a legal adult and able to make your own decisions. Even if not, in most states, once you enlist in the military you would be considered emancipated anyways. If the legal age of being an adult is over 18 in your state, then yes there is a chance you could be made to go back home before you go to the military. Leaving a note may not necessarily mean you can still leave home without their permission. Hopefully this information is helpful.

Take care,
                              NRS

Comment

Hey there,

I'm 18 and will be 19 in November - I know it's legal to move out in Australia, but when I have spoken to my parents about it, they got angry and upset, in my own view, they didn't want their young daughter to leave. However, I am in my last year of high-school, I will have completed VCE but as I am their only child, maybe they find it difficult to let me grow up.
                                Anyways, I am considering moving out at the beginning of next year; once I have travelled abroad. However, I do not wish to tell my parents because they will not understand or allow me to leave, which I believe is unfair considering I am a legal adult. I plan to live with my friend in the CBD, she has a house there, and I know I'll be safe with her, however, when I told my parents this plan of moving in with her, that's when they got angry and upset with me for daring to have my own voice and express the reasons behind moving out.

I just would like to know, would they call the police and report me as a missing person? Would they track me down and drag me home? Or, will they let me have my own freedom?

Thanks

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X