Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: 18 and fed up

Hello,

Thank you very much for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been really having trouble in your household with your parents. It sounds like you really want to be a social and independent young person which is understandable at 18. We would imagine that it would be frustrating to deal with cultural ways your parents are interacting with you.

We aren't legal experts and we are non-directive here so anything you decide is ultimately up to you. That must be difficult to feel like you can't get away. Is there anything you could do to get away from the stress in your home in the meantime? You seem to have a few people in your life that are helpful to you, maybe you could speak with them more about that.

For further support, we strongly encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and look forward to your call. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm so done

My dad won't let me do anything. Go on school trips or nothing. Not even work at a haunted houses I worked for at the past two years. What should I do?

Comment

Re: I'm so done

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing a bit about your situation. We’re sorry to hear your dad won’t let you do anything and we imagine that’s quite frustrating. Although we aren’t sure of your age, if you are 18 we recognize that doesn’t always make things that much easier, especially if you’re still in high school. We are non-directive here so while we can’t make the decision for you, we’d be more than happy to continue talking to you and hopefully come up with some options. Please consider trying out our Live Chat. Good luck!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Help! I cant stand it here!

I cant stand it in my house, my parents get mad over the simplest things and at 18 I plan on moving out. The only thing is im wondering if there is anything they can do legally to make me come back home or keep me from leaving. Another thing is I have a 2 year old daughter. Me and Her would be leaving Arkansas and going to a different state, I have a place to live and everything. I just want to know if there is anyway they can stop me and my daughter from moving out. They wont be happy about us leaving and will try to stop me so I just want to know what they can and cant do regarding me moving out 18. Im just really miserable here and want to be happy and have a good life for my daughter. Please help?

Comment

RE: Help! I cant stand it here!

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like once you turn 18 you plan to leave home but are concerned about what your parents may try to do. We are not legal experts, but once an individual turns 18, they generally become their own legal guardian and therefore can choose to leave home if they wish. As long as you have full guardianship over your daughter there does not seem to be anything your parents can do legally to make you stay home or keep her from you. We are not sure of your full situation, but if you would like to talk more about it so that we can best help you, we do ask that you call our crisis line or chat with us through our website. The best way to obtain legal information is to contact the local non-emergency Sheriff's department or a legal aid office. We can provide you with referrals if needed as well as explore your options so that the decision you make keeps you and your child safe.

We hope to hear from you soon and wish you well.

Take care,

NRS

Comment

my boyfriend 18 he wants to move out but hes still ans school

My boyfriend 18 and he wants to move out but him and his step dad and him don't get along he wants to move in till he can get on his feet but his step dad said he can't leave cause he's still in school but even if he would he would still continue to go to school can he leave?

Comment

re: my boyfriend 18 he wants to move out but hes still ans school

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you and your boyfriend are facing some tough times and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it seems like your boyfriend is having a hard time at home and wants to make his own decision to leave.

We want you to know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak in general terms. In most states, at 18 you are considered an adult, meaning that he is able to leave home when he decides. As we mentioned, we are not legal experts here, meaning that for more sturdy answers, we would highly encourage you to reach out to your local police department and ask further questions.

We hope that we were able to help you think a little more about your options and brainstorm some more with you, if you feel like you would still need some more support or go through some more options, please feel free to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

Hello I'm 18 years old I recently turned 18 I was on drugs and told my parents I was and they also find out because before I turned 18 they were looking for me and found me they took me to a place called bay care to stay for 4 days for drug substance abuse and to another after and filed for marchamd which is court orderd for the judge make me go and I went and I got out on my 18th birthday I was never was in position of drugs but my parents told me that if I try to leave again since I'm 18 now they could report me and bring me back again and take me to that place even though I quite everything and I'm clean is that true ? Because I really wanna move out and I always wanted to get away from my mom and stepdad ?

Comment

Hello,
                    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

While we would like to help you we are not legal experts.
                    We are not privy to any information involving your case or any court orders.
                    It might be helpful if we knew more about your situation so we might provide information and or referrals for help.
                    You also might consider contacting the court house about your court case. They may be able to provide you with documentation explaining the judge’s order. Does that make sense?

We wish you good luck.

Take care,
                    NRS

Comment

Re: Im 19 Still in Highschool And family issues

Im still in high school and me and my mom dont get along at all . Im ready to move out but i have nowhere to go . My mom doesnt pay attention to me , when i ask her questions

Comment

Re: im 18 and im leaving home

Im still in high school (Senior Year) and me and my mom dont get along at all anymore . My mom doesnt pay attention to me , when i ask her questions she gets mad and cusses me out . she threatins to hit me everytime .I feel unwanted and alone .I have alot of suicidal thoughts but never take it that far . I cant take this anymore i got thru so much . .can social services help me get a place or somewhere to go ?

Comment

Re: Im 19 Still in Highschool And family issues

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life.

We want to start off by letting you know that we are here for runaway (18 and under) and homeless (youth 22 and under). Typically in most states, once you are over the age of 18, you are considered an adult. Meaning that you would be able to make your own decisions and decide where you would want to live. If you are looking for housing options, you are able to give us a call and we would be more than willing to look up shelter or transitional living programs in your area.

We wish you the best of luck and hope to get your call soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

Re: im 18 and im leaving home

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life. From what you shared, it sounds like you are wanting to leave home.

We do want you to know that we are not legal experts here, but we can speak in general terms. In most states, at 18 you are considered an adult, meaning that you are no longer in the age range to receive help from social services. If you are looking for shelters or a transitional living program, you are able to give us a call and we would be more than willing to help.

The fastest way to get in touch with us is by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

18 years old an leaving home

I'm 18 years old and finishing my last year in high school. I have a job that I work after school from 4-9. My parents an I fight non stop due to the fact they would like me to go to college. However I would rather finish my last year in high school an continue to work before making a decision on what I want to do. My parents do not agree with this an my farther an I get into fights an threatens to kick me out an take my belongings such as my phone, tv ect. I pay my own phone bill an bout my own belongings with my own money. Can they call the police? If so am I going to be forced to go back home?

Comment

Re: 18 years old an leaving home

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us here at NRS through our online forum. It sounds like you and your parents are struggling to understand the expectations you both have of your life after high school. While your parents want you to continue your education by starting college, it seems you want some time to just explore what you would like to do moving forward. You seem to feel pressure from your parents which is making it difficult to live at home.

To answer your question generally since we are not legal experts: at 18 in most states this is recognized as the age of majority which means that you would be able to decide where you want to live without parental permission. If your parents attempted to involve the police, there may not be much that can be done since you would be recognized as an adult. It is often best to consult with your local police department (non-emergency number) to get specifics in case your state recognizes the age of majority as older than 18. If you needed any resources or phone numbers to law enforcement or legal aid please consider chatting, emailing, or calling in at 1-800-786-2929. We are toll-free, 24/7, and confidential.

We hope this helps and look forward to your future contact.

Best,

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X