im 18 and im leaving home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I'm 18, 19 in a month, and am at a local college. in lockdown atm so at home all the time. can't cope. dysfunctional family. emotional neglect and abuse. feeling suicidal. pet dog isn't looked after adequately, I am responsible for talking care of him emotionally eg keeping him company, no one else does. want to move out. no job; have saved up money though. will try to get a job after lockdown. feel trapped at home. have a car passed my test in February after years of lessons.
    have been talking to centrepoint and Oxfordshire safe haven. my college tutor is supporting me. I just want to know if it is possible to leave home at my age safely and have a place to live. where could I realistically live// in an apartment or flatshare? not sure.
    I can't live here anymore. my parents are... off. my mum has an undiagnosed and untreated mental health problem, and she sometimes gets so frustrated with her emotions that it comes out as extreme anger directed at me usually. my dad is not supportive on this front. she refuses to see anyone about it. has no job. dad works full time. she doesn't talk to friends/doesn't have any close friends.
    I just cant cope with it anymore. I can't do it. it's too much and has always been like this. I have been gaslighted before; I thought it was all in my head which was awful. anyway that's another long story.
    every day is a struggle to get through. I have no one to talk to at home. my car is in the driveway but mum and dad park their cars in front of mine so I can't leave. I can't talk on the phone at home cause they'd hear. I tend to drive away from home a short distance to park somewhere and then I can chat openly on the phone.
    I'm just 12, but I just can't live with my parents at my home. I just can't. They are always shouting at me for no reason and they always treat my elder brother better than me. They are always unfair. I want to run away, but how? Things are very bad during lockdown, but what can I do? I'm not even 18, and I'm having family problems. There are no adoption agencies in my country, and I'm not prepared to live in the streets. What should I do? I tried to explain this to my parents, but as usual, they ignored me. If anyone reads my quote, please advise me.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe,
      NRS

• I don't know what to do

So it's my senior year my birthday is in September, I live in Washington. I've trying to find out ways to leave for a few years. At 16 I attempted to get a job and my mom said she wouldn't drive me (we live 30 minutes away from town) that year I tried to get a ID a bank account and I wanted to take drivers ed but she said no. I asked last year if I could move across the street into the trailer so I could be more independent and she also said no. Every year I asked about the bank account and a job and she said yeah we'll do it soon but she never does. She's constantly telling me that I'm going to drop out of highschool get pregnant with 3 kids and work at a gas station for the rest of my life, but when I bring up college she tells me that I need to do this one or no you can't go to that one you have to go to this one and when I have ideas of what I want to do with my future she says no you need to do this and that. I feel like she's made it almost impossible for me to leave I don't have a car anymore it broke 2 years ago and she always says she's going to fix it but never does. She has recently made the decision that I need to do online school and stay home for my whole senior year because she doesn't want me to get corona cause i have asthma and I'm at risk I haven't been to a store since they shut down schools . If i leave i have nothing no experience no money no transportation no way to get out clean. I'm just not sure what I can do or if I can do it. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do I have no idea what I'm supposed to do in life, can I get a little help?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It sounds like your mom has created a really restrictive environment and it makes sense that you would want some independence. It's apparent that you are a goal-oriented individual and it shows a lot of maturity.

Venturing out on your own can be really scary and overwhelming. Some areas have agencies called transitional living programs (TLPs), that are set up to help youth become self-sufficient and a program like this could be of great benefit to you. Your safety and well-being is most important to us here at NRS and we want to make sure that you have a solid plan in place before leaving home. It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you (like TLPs), please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• I'm 18, running away. I have money saved, my money. Not taking anything of my parents. There extremely controlling and strict. But they often ignore actually issues in my life. My plan is too leave in a month. But i was wondering if i should speak to my local police force and explain my current situation so they dont go looking for me and ruin this. Im so ready to leave but I want to make sure everything is legal and done right as there is no room for error. Is there any advice i should take?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

• I'm 18 and I want to leave home. My mom yells all the time. I'm anxious and upset and depressed all the time. She works to pay for the college I dont want to go to so now I feel stuck. I want to leave and drop out but that's 3k down the drain but I was forced to do it no matter how much she says that I chose it and she didnt force me. She made me get a job and now trys to control my hours and threatens to control my money. She also relies on me to clean all the time and if I dont I get yelled at. I'm always being yelled at and onto of school, work and chores I need to look after my brothers when both parents are at work. I cant even hear her talk to me without getting a hum or a fuzzy noise in my ears that gets louder every time she raises her voice. I find myself crying constantly bc I dont know what I want to do in the future but I want to leave this house. I dont know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X