No announcement yet.

im 18 and im leaving home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 18 I live in California I’m fed up with my parents always controlling me ! I want to move out ASAP but I’m scared my mom will come looking for me and call the cops on me do they have the right to call the police for leaving the house

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home where your parents try to control your life. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts, but generally speaking, you are considered an adult in the state of California if you are 18, so your parents wouldn’t be able to file a runaway report. Your parents could file a missing person report if your whereabouts are unknown and they are concerned for your safety or welfare. If this were to happen, most likely the police would check to ensure that you’re OK but wouldn’t make you go back home.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• I'm 18 years old and I want to move out. I've been thinking about it for awhile and my aunt keeps pushing me away from wanting to live here. I live with my aunt and uncle and my grandmother as well. I know I tend to have an attitude at times but it's only when we argue which is very frequently. I understand there are responsibilities such as grades and those are important but my aunt is threatening to go talk to my manager and take away my job/shifts if one of my grades isn't raised. I want to have a good relationship with my parents but every time my aunt and I argue it gets worse and worse. I feel as if though I'm a 9 yr old child in her eyes and that I can't do a lot of things right. They say that if I run away from situations it makes me a pussy but I'm just so done with all the arguing. She's also taken away my permit before and I don't have my own bank account yet. I just want to be able to move out and make sure I can maintain my job and still go to school (I'm a junior) without anything major happening.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The national Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now and we hope that we will be able to help. One option you could consider is talking to a school counselor about what is going on. Your school counselor may be able to also offer help on getting your grades raised. At NRS we also offer a service called conference calling. Conference calling allows you to be heard and we are there to mediate the conversation and to provide support to you.
      We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. In most states the legal age to leave home without permission is 18 years old. So if you do decide to leave home you most likely would be allowed to by the law. If you do decide to leave we hope you are in a safe environment and have a safe place to stay.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• Hi what's my best options to do If I move out I'm 18? I love working and have child support that puts me down sometimes. My house is full of people and I don't have space for me I sleep on my living room and I can't concentrate on my studies I wanna move a place where I can have my own room.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-27-2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Hi what's my best options...

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I am 18 years old, and I need to leave home. I honestly dont know what to do anymore. I just need someone thats willingly to take me in.

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          We want you to know that we are not legal experts but in most states the age or majority is 18. (Nebraska 19, Alabama 20) This means that you are legally responsible for yourself and your parents/ guardians can no longer control what you do and where you go. On the other hand your parents/guardians are no longer required to provide you with food, shelter, or financial assistance anymore. We understand that becoming an adult is a big step and we want to make sure that you know that you are supported during this time.
          We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving is a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It is also helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If there is anything that you think we can do to help, please let us know. 1-800-786-2929
          Best wishes,
          NRS

• I am 18 and want to leave

Hello, I am 18 and have been for 4 months now and want to leave my house. I know that I am a legal adult, but what if I am still in school, can I move out of my parents house and move in with a different family member with out my parents trying to stop me or call the cops ? Cause I am a junior this year and have 1 month and a few weeks left, then I will be a senior.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. Leaving your home can be a big decision and we hope the information we give you will help you. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. Once you turn 18 in most states you can legally leave home without permission even if you are still attending school.
          One option you could consider to find the best answer to this questions is to call your local police department and ask them what would happen in your situation. Wherever you decide to stay we hope that it is a safe and stable environment for you.
          If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!
          NRS

• I am 18, and I'm almost out of high school. My mom and dad never got married and are separated. My mom is married to another man and I have siblings that live with me at home. I want to leave. She manipulates me, and always has. She picked out a car for me and bought it expecting me to make payments with a part time job while still in high school. She also is forcing me into college. She has made it look like it was my idea, but I didnt really choose the college, and didnt decide that I want to go. And recently I havent been able to see my dad or my sister that is from his side. I was wondering what would happen if I were to bail out after I graduate high school? Could I just leave and avoid her? And how would I figure out my health insurance and get a start at life as an adult? I can always find work, and I have people that I can live with until I am stable. But is it possible and how can I do it?
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-17-2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• Reply: I am 18, and I'm almost out of high school

Hello,
          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

Once you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.
          We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Moving out on your own is a big step. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• Hi. I am 18. I am just out of school and about to apply for colleges. I want to attend counselings and take a college but my father is too adamant on me taking a drop year. Not just this, he tries to control every aspect of my life - where I go, who I;m friends with. I do not wish to take a drop but I know he will make me. I have been controlled all my life and I cant take it anymore. My father is not one to listen. And I am fed up of this. I want to leave home. I dont want to stay with them but I know that no other family member will support me, just to not defy my father. I dont have money and I dont have a place to stay. I dont really know what to do. I know killing myself is not an option and that is not something I wish to do. I know I can do amazing in whatever college I go to, but he is just not convinced. I have listened to every one of his instructions and never defied him. But there is a limit to everything and I dont want him controlling my life anymore. Any advice?

Comment

• ccsmod1
              ccsmod1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. It must be really hard to live with your dad when he limits your independence and tries to control so many aspects of your life. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community-based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis-related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Stay safe,
              NRS

• I have a question... Im from Tennessee and 18 years old... My dad has had me for 13 years and my mom has has me for the past year... She is constantly telling me that im not good enough that I dont do enough that im lazy and no one will want me... The reality is I am pregnant and am up at 7 each morning... feed and water farm animals... And am always trying to make it easier for her... She yells and blames me for nothing being done like its my job... She lies about me and my brother to everyone in the family and makes everything about her... I have tried to see things from her side but it doesnt seem enough for her... So my question is... Can i legally move out because i am 18 or do i have to try and stick it out... I love my mom but i cant stand that she dictates everything in my life... She decides who i can date and be friends with and thats only after she has stalked them... She knows where they live and how old they are... Who their family is and who they have dated in the past... And often sweet talks officers into doing background checks with no warrant or need for one...

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

• I’m 18. I want to leave my parents house and never look back or be in any contact with them. What papers or legal documents do I need to take from my parents to leave the house. I’m already going to take my passport, birth certificate and social security. What other papers do I need?

Comment

• Hello.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re sorry to hear that you don’t want to be in contact with your parents anymore, but we’re glad to hear you’re making a plan toward getting what you want.
              Unless you live in Alabama or Nebraska (where the age of majority is 19) or Mississippi (21), you’re legally considered an adult and can leave the house whenever you’d like. If you’ll be moving out, and don’t anticipate going back to their house, be prepared to take all original documentation pertaining to your established citizenship (including birth certificate, passport, social security card and state ID/driver’s license). In addition, you should also take any documentation relating to a vehicle (such as a title and insurance), health insurance information, and any financial information, such as bank statements, etc.

It can be difficult to think through such a large change all by yourself. We applaud you for taking the initiative. If you’d like to talk to someone to help you think through the particulars of your situation (such as where you’ll be moving to, or how you’ll get there), please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY, 24/7. You can also chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Congratulations on taking this next big step in your growth!
              We wish you the best!
              Cheers,
              -NRS

Comment

• Hello,
                i am 22 years old and i am from india, mumbai.
                I want to lev my home i dont wna stay with my mom and my parents are separated my dad is drunkard mom is too i stay with my mom she abuses me after drinks daily i can take it anymore i love someone and i want to runaway with him and i dont want to be found by my parents so should i inform the cops myself or what should i do
                please help !!

Comment

• ccsmod16
                  ccsmod16 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that the situation with your parents has become so challenging. It sounds like you’ve found someone you feel can provide safety and support, and you’re concerned about what your parents might do. The local police may be a good option depending on how the laws in your country work. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (U.S.A.), and our understanding of supportive resources is limited to those in the U.S.A. If you are located outside of the U.S.A., you may find a helpline nearer to your country by visiting the following link:
                  https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
                  We hope that a local resource is able to provide the support you need, and can better inform you of your legal options should you decide to leave your home.

-NRS

• Hi I’m 17 and I’ve been through a lot with my family my mom kicked me out to and sent me to Pennsylvania to stay with my aunt know I’m 17 and wanna move back home and move in with my second family who has always treated me like there son. So would it be a problem if I walk out catch a plane and move in with them

Comment

• ccsmod9
                  ccsmod9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,
                  Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
                  While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
                  We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
                  If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
                  Be safe,
                  NRS

• Im 18 Years old and i would like to get married but my mom has been manipulating me about a lot of stuff and I feel tired physically and in my heart. Its hard for me to take desition that involves my family but i feel they don't want to live my life as I wants it to live it they wants me to live my life like they want me to and thats tiering What can I do to make my desition as soon as possible and so they cam give me my SSN, My birth certificate and my personal stuff.??

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for reaching out to us with this question. It sounds like your family’s lack of support has been making this decision difficult for you. It makes sense that you’re feeling physically and emotionally tired. We hope that you have been able to find support among friends or with your partner throughout this conflict with your family. If you haven’t been able to find support, you are welcome to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to talk about your situation and figure out how you can make the best decision for yourself. To answer your question about needing your SSN and birth certificate, it is your right as a legal adult to have access to these documents. If you need help asking your parents to give these documents to you, we do offer a conference call service. This service would be a 3-way call between us, yourself, and your parents where we would remain as a neutral party but make sure both sides are being listened to. You can also look into how to request replacements for these documents here (https://www.usa.gov/replace-vital-documents). We hope this information has been helpful to you and are available 24/7 to answer any questions you might have.
              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X