need to leave. take sister?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to leave. take sister?

alright so first off im 16 years old. and i have a 12 year old sister. i have a job though i know it wouldnt be enough to support us both so please dont point that out. my father is abusive both emotionally and physically and though ive looked into legal aspects i can only find a way to leave myself which i couldnt bare to do since my sister is like my own daughter since ive been the one to raise her since i was young. i know dads anger would get worse if i left so i cannot even imagine leaving her to take his anger without me to protect her. ive weighed my options for a year now but i cant do anything and i need to keep her safe. dad gets violent when he gets angry and takes it out on me and i know if i leave it will transfer to her. ive tried talking to him about it but his anger just grows. my plan would be to run away to the homeless shelter/youth services and see what i can do from there. will they send us home? is it impractical to take her? what will the shelter have me do? would it be a smarter move to stay with a friend? will $400 be enough to sustain us for a while(ive been saving for an emergency fund for my sister so no, no stealing will be involved and the shelter is only a town away and i have a vehicle to use to get there)

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your story details about your intense situation. Sounds like you have been thinking about this for quite a while and planning your safety exscape.

You bring up a lot of good points:
    -taking your sister with you
    -shelter
    -social services
    -being returned home
    -etc

The hard part is that no one ever truly knows what happens when someone makes an abuse report or reaches out to social services/emergency shelter. Because you are a minor, they should respond with at least taking a report and beginning an investigation. When you make an abuse report, they usually want to know what happened and do you have any visible marks. You mentioned that the abuse is both physical and emotional and usually, the emotional abuse is harder to notice and prove. Is there something you can dodo to prepare for this? Sending us this message and talking about it is a good step.

Is there a social worker or teacher that you can trust at school? People at school are 'mandated reporters' and have to make report when a student/minor talk about abuse at home.

Sometimes it helps to explore this with a thorough conversation and if you'd like to talk about this a bit more, you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can see what options there are for you. If you want to live chat, we're open from 430p-1130p. And if you'd like to make calls to shelters and social services, we can do that together.

Best of luck. Hope to hear from you soon.
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X