we've left home already...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we've left home already...

me n my sister have left home already. we've been gone for almost a month. do shelter's only try to take u back to your parents or do they left u stay there?

Re: we've left home already...

Hello,

Thank for contactng us. Why did you run away from home? Are you safe right now?

Generally, shelters wnat to know who you are and after about 24hrs to 72 hours, they will contact your legal guardians if you are under 18 years of age. It's not very likely that a shelter will take you back anywhere, but they will do an investigation to return you to where you belong or at least find out why you left and why it's not appropriate for you to be there.

Do you mind telling us why you left?

Give us a call at 1800 RUNAWAY so we can keep talking about this and we can figure out where to go from there. Don't worry, we're anonymous and confidential.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

rite now i dont have a phone to call u from thats y were usin my friends internet. n we left because of my mom. she beat the s*** outta us one day n tried to stab my sister. so that night we left. in a way we did deserve it cause we had skipped school that day. but i was worried about what more she might do. she threatened to "slit" our necks. n da sad part is i believe she would do it. so at 1 in the morning me and my sister left... me n my sister thought about going to the police when our brusies were visable but got scared. we didn't want the cops to seperate us and i didn't want my moms boss to find out what she had done and fire her. her job is a position she had always wanted. we're running out of options right now... n please dont talk to me like your a robot. i've read the other responses given everyone else n they seem robotic and cold. it seems so rehearsed and fake... sorry if that sounds mean its just were lookin for someone who we can believe honestly wants to help us

Comment

Thanks for giving us more information about your situation. We’re very sorry to hear about the way that your mom treats you. No one ever deserves to be hurt or threatened, especially by parents. It’s definitely understandable why you left if you feared your mom might follow through on her threat. From what you wrote, you’ve thought about reporting it but haven’t done it out of fear that your mom would get into trouble. Just so you’re aware, the cops are not the ones that make the decision to remove children/youth from their home and place them elsewhere. The Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) is the organization that investigates reports and makes a determination about whether the home is safe or not. The cops of course would still (hopefully) help you, but they would have to contact DCFS. Along with that, as mentioned earlier if you went to a shelter they would have to either contact your mom, but if you tell them about the abuse they could contact DCFS instead. Fear is a common reason for a youth not to want to report, but if you think it’s something you’re interested in we can help you report it. Of course, you’re welcome to report it on your own, in which we could provide you with the number to do so if you needed (we would need the city and state you live in to find the appropriate number). It’s obvious that you care about your mom, but that you also want to look out for your own safety. You’re safe at your friend’s house for now, right? Do you have a plan at this point? What do you want to see happen?

We do honestly want to help. Part of what we do here is try to go over possible options for our caller’s situations. We can’t tell you want to do, or even exactly what would happen, but we are more than willing to talk you through what you want to do and help you find ways to accomplish it. We also want you to be aware of the limitations of what others can do. For instance, there’s no guarantee that reporting the abuse means that you’ll be removed from the home. That doesn’t mean that DCFS wouldn’t help you. If you are able to call, we’re can go over the general reporting and investigating process if you want.

If you’re able to get to a pay phone, our number is toll-free. We’re open 24/7, so you could call anytime. Just so you know, we’re 100% confidential so we won’t tell anyone you called or what you say to us (With the exception of if you give us your full name, mom’s full name and a phone number or address for mom. In this case, we would have to report it since we’re mandated reporters. But if you don’t want to report, just don’t give us that info!) If you’re not able to call that’s okay too. If there’s something that you want to know more about or what specific help with, we’ll do our best through the bulletins. We also have an email if that’s easy, mailto:[email protected]. We hope you're able to get the help you're looking for.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X