what can i do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can i do

Ok, so i live with my mom an my stepdad right now. im 17 and a senior in highschool. ive been living with them for the last 3 years. and i have had to cope with my stepdads way of living. it has been very hard but i manage. but now it is my senior year and it has always been my dream to graduate in the school i grew up in. my mom took me and moved away from my friends and my real dad when i ended my 9th grade year. she moved me away from the school i thought i was always going to be in. so what i have tried to talk to my mom about is that i want to live my last year in highschool with my dad and spend it in my original highschool. but my mom wont hear of it. if i try to talk to her about it she freaks because my stepdad does not agree. i cant really talk to her about anything anymore. so now i am running out of options and i have thought serious about running away to my dads. but i wat to know what my mom can do and what the police will do because i am almost 18. im just not sure what to do.

Re: what can i do

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. I’m sorry to hear that you’re having such a rough time right now. It had to be hard moving away from everything you know and love. I know that you’ve talked with your mom about wanting to spend the year with your dad but she hasn’t been very responsive. You were asking what the consequences may be if you decided to run to your dad’s. Does your mom have full custody of you? If so, because you are 17 and probably still considered a minor, she would have the right to file a runaway report with the police if she decided to. I can't say for sure how helpful the police will be, but if they find you they would probably bring you back to your mom's house. Do you have any idea what your mom would do if you decided to run? Have you spoken to your dad about wanting to go live with him? Do you think it would be possible for both you and your dad to talk with your mom? Perhaps if both of you go and speak with her, she will know how important this is for you. I wish I had a simple answer for you but it just sounds like a tough situation. Is there a specific problem your mom has with your idea? Is there anyway you two could talk and come up with a compromise. I’m sure this must be a hard time for you and if you need to talk with anyway you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are a completely confidential crisis line and here for you 24 hours a day. If you just want to talk about what is going on or look at some different options we are always here to help. I wish you the best of luck with everything and don’t hesitate to call if you need to.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X