No announcement yet.

Dont Know what to do here in my situation.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dont Know what to do here in my situation.

    Ok 3 months ago my dad had passed away from cancer and me and my mom haven't been getting along. Every other week we argue and it makes me want to go to runaway and not look back. I am 17 and I want to divorce from my mom but I dont have a job but I am looking for one and i dont know where to go but I dont want to live with her anymore. I want to stay for my sisters sake but its getting so stressful and I want to leave but dont want to be!

  • #2
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard during this difficult time. We are an anonymous and confidential crisis line that is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    It sounds like things are very tough for you right now and we’re sorry to hear that. It was very brave of you to reach out for help and hopefully, we can provide you with some resources.

    It sounds like your dad passing away has been very tough for you and it’s causing some difficulties between you and mom. What was your relationship with your parents like before this happened? It sounds like you and your mom argue a lot; what are those arguments about?

    It sounds like you have a sister who also lives at home and that you are thinking about staying for her. What is your relationship like with your sister? How do you think she would feel if you were to leave?

    What we can do here is try to locate a safe place or a shelter that is located by you if you were to leave home. We can also help you reach out to these shelters to see if they would be able to help you out. If you do leave home, do you think your mom will call the police to file a report? It’s not illegal to run away but your mom does have the right to file a report with the police. Then, if they find you, they will probably contact her. Also, since you are a minor, the shelter would be required to contact your mom to let her know that you are staying there.

    You mentioned that you wanted to divorce your mom and that may be another option that is available to you. Unfortunately, emancipation may be a very lengthy and expensive process; if you call us, we can try to locate some legal resources that may be able to guide you through the process.

    Again, we are very sorry to hear about this terrible situation you are in. We hope to hear from you soon and wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp