X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• run away

i want to run away

Re: run away

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Switchboard. We aren’t sure exactly what’s going on; however, we are here to listen and provide support. We aren't here to say whether to run or not, but we can talk through pros and cons. If you’d like to share more about what is going on, feel free to reach us again either by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), Live Chat (www.1800runaway.org), or of course by bulletin. Hope you are able to remain safe and that this helps.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Why i ran away!

I ran away because i was being physically mentally abused by my grandmother because im a "Lesbian" me and my girlfriend ran away together to be happy for once in our life with no one to tell us what to do. now we want to go home to medford,OR. and my mother in law doesnt have money to pay my way only enough to pay my girlfriend way and my question is "Can you guys help me back home safe"?

Comment

RE: Why I Ran Away!

Hello,

We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Switchboard for emotional support and resources. It sounds like you were struggling with a lot at home. We certainly empathize with what you had to go through. It is not fair what happened to you there. You deserve to feel safe in your own home. We are glad you contacted us because what we are mainly concerned with is your safety. Are you safe now?

Although we are confidential and anonymous we are also mandated reporters. If you called us for direct support we here to listen and provide the necessary resources local to you. However, we can also report abuse if this is ever something you want to do. We are not saying calling us means you have to report your abuse right away. This is something we are able to do if you decided it was one way to get help. Have you thought about reporting your grandmother before? We do not guarantee the outcome of these cases but it may one step to getting other services in your area to help you out.

Do you think counseling is something you might need now also? We also provide resources if you need to speak to someone about what you've been through. These are just some things to consider as you are journeying and trying to figure out your situation. Do you have a place to stay now. If you need a place to stay we can also call around to find one if you call us directly. Which brings us to what you initially came to us for. We do have a program called Home Free with greyhound that you may be able to qualify for but you will need to call us directly by phone. The program is youth initiated but we are only able to send you back to your guardian. It requires that we call your guardian to confirm custody and get paperwork. We also need to do a conference call.

We can help in other ways if this program does not suit you. We also have traveler's aid resources that might help and other local organizations that you can call to find out more. We hope this info is helpful and look forward to speaking with you rather soon. Good luck.

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I need help fast

HI I am ___________(edited for confidentiality) and need help.My family has severe issues and I cannot take it anymore.I need to runaway but i live in richmond,virginia and do not know where to go.I live in henrico and am scared my parents will hurt me if they figure out i am writing to you please tell me where to runaway to.

Comment

Re: run away

Hello, we’re glad you reached out to the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot with your family and it sounds like you are scared. While we do not know exactly what kinds of issues are going on, we imagine it is quite intense since you write they are “severe.” We are not here to tell you what to do (including how to run away), but we are here to listen, try and help you come up with options, and help you stay safe. If you do not feel safe at home and/or are experiencing any type of abuse, then filing an abuse report would be one option. There is an organization in Richmond called SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now) which offers a variety of services including how to recognize signs of abuse. Here is their information:

SCAN
            http://www.grscan.com/
            (804) 257-7226

Another option if you haven’t tried counseling (or would like to try again) to see if that can make things any better at home is Commonwealth Catholic Charities (CCC). They offer both individual and family therapy.

CCC
            http://www.cccofva.org/individualfamilytherapy.html
            (804) 545-5907 or 1-800-974-4494

If you are seriously considering leaving, we’ve listed some common questions to think about before running below.
            • What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
            • What would make me stay at home?
            • How will I survive?
            • Is running away safe?
            • Who can I count on to help me?
            • Am I being realistic?
            • Have I given this enough thought?
            • What are my other options?
            • If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
            • When I return home, what will happen?

If you do decide to leave and need a safe place to go, there is any organization in your area that provides emergency shelter care to youth up to age 17 years of age.

Volunteer Emergency Families for Children (vefc)
            (804) 379-7767

Shelters and Host Homes (Trained adults who take in runaway, abused, and at-risk youth) will generally have to contact a parent/legal guardian anywhere from immediately to 3 days. If there is abuse going on, they may also get Child Protective Services (CPS) involved.

We hope that helps! If you decide on any of the options we have mentioned and need help contacting them, we encourage you to contact us directly by either calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or by clicking on the red “Live Chat” button from 4:30 to 10 pm CST. We hope you are able to keep safe and that things end up getting better for you. Best of luck!

-NRS

Comment

i dont know what to do

i have problems with my mom at home and she doesnt want me there anymore...im about to be 20 years old this month and i have nobody else to turn to...i dont want to be in the streets but i feel that i have no choice

Comment

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard, a confidential and anonymous hotline. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

We’re sorry to hear that your mom doesn’t want you there anymore. Can you tell us a little more about what is going on? It sounds like you are concerned that you are going to end up on the streets and hopefully, that doesn’t happen to you.

We have a database of resources where we may be able to locate a shelter that could help you out. Please give us a call anytime so we can assist you further. We can be reached 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or online at www.1800runaway.org; we have chat services that are available from 4:30 PM until 10:00 PM CST.

We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Im scared....I dont know what to do anymore...

I am twelve years old...I have A LOT to say....I live with my mom...she is strict and abusive.....my dad doesn't really know...he doesn't live wth us...I really don't know where to start....I've never asked for help....but everythings just weighing me down....I need help....

Comment

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We are a confidential and anonymous hotline for youth in crisis or their families. We are glad that you have reached out to us for assistance; that is sometimes one of the hardest things to do and it is a very brave step. We hope to be able to provide you with some resources to help you out.

You said that you live with your mom but she is very abusive toward you. Have you ever told anyone else about this? We are sorry to hear that you are being abuse by her; nobody deserves that and everyone has to right to feel safe in their home. It sounds like your dad doesn’t know about the abuse because he doesn’t live with you. Do you think you would be comfortable talking to him about it? What do you think he would say if he were to find out?

You also mentioned that you don’t know where to start but everything is weighing you down. Is there more going on? Would you like to tell us about that? We’re sorry to hear that you have so much going on right now.

One of the things we can do is help you file a report with Child Protective Services if you would like us to. If you don’t want to do that, we understand; it can be kind of scary to do that. We can also help you locate shelter or another safe place to go, find a counselor/therapist or locate some legal assistance among other things. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have online chat that is available 7 days a week from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM (CST) if you would like to speak with someone that way.

We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you.

~NRS

Comment

When I was younger I remember she got so mad at me that she pinned me to the wall by my throat...I went to school crying..I've never cried in front of people after that...I taught myself to hide the pain...another time (this wasn't too long ago) she was yelling at me and my sister to do our chores...she was screaming at us, asking why we couldnt do anything right.I defended my sister..and my mom got mad about it..she slapped me really hard and told me not to be disrespectful,I nodded then said something else..she came after me...I got scared and ran....I got halfway in the bathroom (it has a lock) before she caught my arm. She slapped me again, so I told her it was child abuse. She got even madder and pulled me out of the bathroom..I hit the wall so hard that i fell to the ground, trying to breathe.....my older brother heard it and came out of his room.....he saw me then looked at my mom....he yelled at her.....asking her what the f*** she was doing..she told him to stay out of it and turned back on me, she said that what she did wasn't child abuse....but if I wanted to see real child abuse....she would show me..

Comment

reply, I'm scared...I don't know what to do anymore

Does it always tke this long for you guys to write back? And I have thought about talking to the Child Protection Service..but....I..... =(

Comment

RE: Run Away

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. We certainly empathize with what has happened and continue to happen to you also. You are not at fault for how your mother treats you. You do not deserve it and it is not fair to you. We appreciate your patience with our response but we try to get back to you as soon as possible. What have you thought about doing about a plan to remain safe? Our main concern is your safety and it does not sound like you are safe at home. Have you thought about reporting the abuse? We do not define or investigate abuse but what you have described, regardless of what your mother said, sounds like abuse.

Although we are confidential and anonymous, we are also mandated reporters. This means that we can report abuse but we cannot guarantee the outcome. You can call us to call with you if this is something you want to explore as an option or you can call on your own if you had the child abuse reporting number to your state or region. Another option is emancipation. If you are able to show that you can live on your own without protest from your family then it is likely a judge may rule in your favor if you are self sufficient. These are just a few options you have but another is that you can call us for direct support over the phone, 24 hours a day.

We cannot imagine the fear you must live through if mom is threatening to do more to you than she has already done. It does not sound like it is a productive environment for you. Have you sat down with your brother to see how he is able to help you? Teachers can also be advocates for you if you are not safe at home. Have you though about seeing a counselor? We have resources for counseling if that is something you have not thought about. We hope this info has been helpful in some way and that it allows you to seek help and find ways to remain safe. We hope to hear from you soon at 1800RUNAWAY if you need one of our liners to listen and provide you with the emotional support you need. We wish you good luck until we hear from you.

-NRS
                          Last edited by ccsmod8; 12-30-2011, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I'm scared..I don't know what. to do anymore....

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. We certainly empathize with what has happened and continue to happen to you also. You are not at fault for how your mother treats you.....

-NRS

Me and my sister have run away twice...we are thinking about it again.....my sister has a really close friend in Florida,he could help us....I'm just scared....we're only twelve and we live in ohio, it will be a LONG trip. I know that this is kind of random, but have you ever watched The X Factor? Me and my sister sing...we wanted to audition for the show...we're really good singers..and....if I talk to Child Services....will I be seperated from my sister? We're twins, she's basically everything to me..

Comment

RE: I'm scared..I don't know what. to do anymore....

Hello,

We are glad you reached out to tell us what is happening to you and your sister. There are certain things we cannot help with such as the X Factor but it sounds like you two have talent. We hope that you can one day channel that talent into something greater with time. It sounds like you have run away before and plan to do the same again. How are you feeling right now? What is making you feel like now is the time to run away?

We are not able to be directive. Therefore, we cannot tell you what to do. We are here to help guide you through some of the areas in which you do not feel safe or find ways that may make things easier for you. We are here for you and your sister to contact us at 1800RUNAWAY for direct support. If you two find yourself out on the streets we want you to know that you can hold on to our number just in case you need resources to help you survive. We do not help you to run away and we cannot tell you to stay home. Only you can know for sure what you want to see happen from here.

We are a tool you can use to vent to if you were to call us and also just a place that will be here to provide you with resources if that is what you are seeking. Please let us know how we can help or if there is something in particular we can do for you. We hope you find ways to stay safe and to stay strong together. Good luck.

-NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X