Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    replied
    I’m 17 and I want to move out.

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like things are pretty difficult for you at home and it may be causing you some stress. It’s unfortunate that this behavior is going on. You don’t deserve to be mistreated in any way. It’s not your fault that this is happening.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m 17 and I want to move out.

My mom treats me like crap. And my parents are always arguing and there has been some violence in the house. I get screamed at and cussed out if I forget to wash the dishes for one day but when my brothers forget th

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you so much for reaching out to us! These subjects aren't always easy to talk about, and asking for help can be scary.

It sounds like your parents and sister have been yelling at you a lot. It also sounds like your mom has judged you for your choices, and accused you of breaking rules, when you feel like you have been carefully following them. Everything you described sounds really frustrating and painful to live with. Being angry about this is really understandable, and so is wanting some freedom to make your own choices without being judged or cursed at.

It also sounds like you have been considering running away. As a 17 year old, if you were to move out without your parents’ knowledge, they might file a runaway report with the police. This doesn’t mean you would be in legal trouble, but if you were found by the police, they would probably bring you back to your parents’ place. It is also possible that anyone you were staying with might face legal consequences for harboring a runaway, and finally many housing resources (such as shelters) are required to inform your parents where you are if you were to stay there.

If you are close to turning 18, you might consider waiting until then, when you will have more choices. But whether you decide to leave home while 17 or 18, it’s important to think through a plan that includes a safe place to stay, and reliable ways to access necessities such as food, clothing, and healthcare. It’s also important to create a safety plan, in case you run into an emergency.

If you want help working through a plan, or just somewhere confidential to vent, we are always here to listen, and share resources, either by phone (1-800-RUNAWAY) or by chat via our website (www.1800runaway.org). Thank you again for reaching out to us – it sounds like you’re in a frustrating situation, and we are here to listen and help.

Take care,
    NRS

• ccsmod9
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

Guest replied
    I'm 17 living in North Carolina about to move out

I'm 17 living with my mom and dad and every time I tr to have fun and go somewhere they get so upset and cuss me out my mom lies and says that I have been with way to many guys when I have only been with 2 she says "oh but your breaking the rules" sooo....when they tell me to come home at 8:30 i come home exactly at 8:30 like wtf then my sister calls me a piece of ******** and says that my mom has thought about kicking me out and says that I'm an embarrassment i need to figure out a way to move out without them knowing

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    if i am 18 and i try to move out but my parents physically hold me here, is that considered kidnapping?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. From what we about your situation it is somewhat complicated because there is some information missing. If you are under 18 then your parents have the right to file a runaway report so if that happens the police will bring you home no questions asked. But if you don’t see them doing that then you should be able to stay with friends pretty easily. Informing might be a good idea if you think your parents would file you as a runaway to see what they would do. However if you are looking to get your stuff from their house that is something completely different. Technically if you area a minor the house belongs to them so your stuff is their legal property and would not be available to get because its their property.. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    I have moved out of my parent's house after having a giant argument with them. And I moved in with my friend's parents. What do I have to do after that and do I have to go back. Is it a good idea to let the local law enforcement know the situation since my parents have threatened me if I got on their property.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on with your friend. Sounds like you're a great friend for advocating for him! We aren't legal experts here at NRS but generally speaking once he turns 18 he is considered a legal adult and can live where he pleases. If he is unable to care for himself as an adult his mom could petition for continued guardianship - this kind of petition would require professional assessment and court intervention. You may want to speak with your friend to see if there is already a continued guardianship plan in place as that is what could complicate the plan for him to move out once he is 18. It may be beneficial to speak with a legal aid group to verify what his legal options are in the case of adult guardianship. You can check out https://michiganlegalhelp.org/ for help finding a legal aid organization near you.

Of course, it could be a good idea if your friend reaches out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY. He can also us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. By speaking with him directly we can what’s going on in depth, or explore other options that he may have available to him. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My friend is turning 18 in a few months, but he is disabled (schizophrenia, but he can absolutely function on his own, but it's still considered a disability due to the severity of it). We live in Michigan. Would he be able to legally leave his household if he wants when he turns 18, or would he need to move into another household with another parental unit in the house? Because my mother and I would be more than willing to accomodate him, we just don't know if this is legal. If he is disabled, would a parent need to sign some sort of waver or something to verify that he can leave? I've looked everywhere and even called the MichiganMichigan s of state and nobody seemed to know.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. These are really great questions. We are not legal experts by any means, but we can share some general information about runaway laws. If someone under the age of 18 leaves home without their legal guardian's permission(in this case it would be her dad since you mentioned he has custody), the guardian has the right to file a runaway report. In some cases police do not consider 17 year olds runaways and might not take the report. In the event that police do take the report and they know where she is, then she might be returned home to her dad. Her dad might also be able to take mom to court over custody violations depending on their existing custody agreement. You mentioned that the young person you are asking about was in contact with police already before leaving to go to mom's house. Specific circumstances can change runaway protocols and consequences for leaving home. The police department will be able to give more specific and accurate information on their runaway protocols for someone in her circumstances. You can call the non-emergency number to ask questions about this situation anonymously.

Once this young person turns 18, the age of majority, she is considered a legal adult. This means that she will be able to choose where she lives and can leave home without police intervention.

We hope this gives you the information you were looking for. Do not hesitate to reach out by phone or chat (800-786-2929 ; 1800runaway.org) if you have any more questions. We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I want to ask you guys a question. If a 17 year old left the cops office and left due to a circumstance and wanted to leave to her mom’s house can she do that. Her dad has custody of her. Can I help her move out when she’s 18 during high school? Or help her on the next day of graduation day?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Im 17 and so is my girlfriend

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. In most states 18 is considered the age of adulthood which means once she becomes 18 she is free to leave home legally.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 17 and so is my girlfriend we have been together for 2 years and have always seemed to have a problem with her parents they treat her as if she is nothing compared to them they act as if they are the ones who should be enjoying life while she is struggling and living a miserable life earlier this week her parents caught me and her in the middle of sex and grabbed me and pulled me by the hair and they also started slapping her in the face right in front of me and they told me to stay away from her ever since then they wont let me nowhere near her and have said that they would call the police or get a restraining order even though I did nothing wrong we both turn 18 next yr me in February and her in April And I wanted to know if after she turns 18 if she were to move in with me and my family would her parents have any legal responsibility to take her back or call the cops or anything like that since we would be 18 and considered adults
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-05-2019, 03:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X