Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hello my name is micaela I want to leave without their consent house I am from Virginia I am 20 years my mom told my aunt that if she helps or if I am going with her she is going to call the police because she thinks that when you are 21 years you are adult right now my aunt is worried what can I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    We are glad that you reached out to us for help. This sound like a stressful situation to be in, it is never good to have your parents threaten you like that.
    Something to consider is because you are over the age of majority in all states you could just move out and live on your own. Your parents shouldn’t be able to have any legal authority over you and thus calling the police wouldn’t do anything for them. If you have any other concerns or questions we would be happy to talk to you at 1-800-786-2929.
    Thanks for reaching out,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 22 years old and my mom threatened to call the cops on me last night while I was hanging out with a friend. I really want to move out and I cant while my parents threatens me with their lawyer and the police. What can/should do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I am 18 years old

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway or missing. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. if by chance you are reported as missing you can contact the police to assure them of your safety and that you are not missing.
    We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. NRS is here to help and here to listen. If you would like to talk more about your situation, please contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am 18 years old I want move out can my mom call cops and report me missing?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-01-2019, 01:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hello,
    The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country

Guest replied
    I’m 18, I don’t know what to my parents want me to send me back to my country. Their holding me down I can’t see my boyfriend at all, my sisters blackmailed and me as well. My parents believe them, and yesterday my sister told my dad about my past well the tip of the iceberg. I want to runaway I really do. It’s the point where I’m constantly feeling depressed and sad. My dreams have shown me death. I have no one to talk to at home, I’m judged at home. I don’t know who to go to if I runaway and I don’t have family

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi Im 17 Year Old This Time I Cross My 18 Age In 10 Day means 15 may 2019 Im 18 Year Old My Mom and dad Did Not Give Me a freedom of I Leave Them . after I Am Turning 18 Year Old

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

Guest replied
    Hi ,I am 23 yrs . And things at my home are going so bad .. So I decided to leave home and I have told my decision to my parents and they said they will loage F.I.R against me of running away .. Also they won’t be giving me my documents back .. I want to know is their any law of legally taking my documents back from them as I want to go out and work independently.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts nor are we affiliated with the police so we can only speak generally about what could happen if a youth leaves home without the consent of a guardian. Leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for: truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on your state. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If there is anything that you think we can do to help, please let us know.
    Best wishes,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 17, but in Texas the legal age to get kicked out is 17 , if my mom kicked me out can she make me come ? or can she call the police and file a report that I’m missing and do charges on me ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi there. Thanks for joining the forum. It sounds like you have or are planning to leave home soon. Although we are not legal experts the age of majority in Texas is 18. This typically means that you have the liberty to leave or move out of your parents’ home with or without permission. This should be regardless if you are a student or not. If you would like to talk a bit more about your situation please feel free to reach out to us via phone at 1800-runaway or come chat with us at 1800runaway.org. All the best, NRS.

Guest replied
    Can your parents call the cops if you move out at 18 but still in school in the state of Texas

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X