Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving at 18

Hello There!

Im about to be 18 and i want to move out of my house. Majority age here in Atlanta is 18 but in Puerto Rico is 21. Could that be a problem?

Comment

Re: I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You are very brave for reaching out to us in a time you feel you need our help. We are here to listen and support you.
      You mentioned that you want to move out of your house and that you are almost 18. It seems you have done your research as to the age of majority in your state as well as Puerto Rico which is a great start to helping you in your situation. Unless you are planning on running away to Puerto Rico you don’t have to worry about the age of majority there, the age of majority is specific to the state you want to live in.
      If you are planning on running away to Puerto Rico or want to leave your house before you turn 18, you should consider the fact that you are considered a minor by the state you are in. We are not legal experts here though so if you want to leave before you are 18 or move to Puerto Rico you should contact the non-emergency line of the local sheriff’s office in your town and the town you want to live in to see what would happen if you did decide to leave before you turned 18 or move somewhere where the age of majority is 21.
      Something you should consider too before you leave is if you have a plan for when you move out such as a place to live, a way to pay for things, ways to get to and from school, etc. It’s important to have a plan so you feel well supported if you move out.

We hoped this helped and we encourage you to give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need further assistance. We wish you the best of luck moving forward.

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I was wondering if I could leave home at 18, I found out I was pregnant and they want me to have an abortion and never see the father of my child again what Can I do. I live in North Carolina. I got pregnant little days before I turned 18 and my mom wants to file in a rape charge for my boyfriend and I don't want that, she wants to keep me locked in my room because I am a whore according to her.

Comment

Hi, there!

Thank you for reaching out. We’re here to listen, and here to help. First, congratulations on your pregnancy. It must be both an exciting and scary time for you. We are so sorry to hear that you have not received a warm congrats from your family. You do not deserve to be belittled and insulted. It is up to you and your boyfriend whether you want to keep your baby or not. It is certainly not your parents’ choice. It sounds like your boyfriend is supportive of you. It is good to know that you have some loved ones who care about you and your baby.

In most states, the age of majority is 18. This is also true in North Carolina. See this link: http://statelaws.findlaw.com/north-c...ages-laws.html. If you were to leave, what were your plans? We are not legal experts, but we can connect you to people who are. You do not have to be confined at your parent’s house due to being pregnant. It seems like you feel a little lost due to being pregnant and having your family react like this. Please know that there are resources for youth who are pregnant. For example, there is the organization Planned Parenthood. They could connect you to resources and discuss your options with you. Their national number is 1-800-230-PLAN (1-800-230-7526). There is also a national pregnancy help line: 866-942-6466. Similarly, there are also teen parent programs and even shelters, if you did not have anywhere to go.

As far as your parents, there are consent laws. The age of consent in your state is 16. Additionally, it is illegal for a person 18 or older to have sex with someone 16 or younger. Here is a page that talks about statutory rape laws in your state: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...-rape-laws.htm.

We invite you to chat or call us to be able to discuss your situation at length. We would be happy to listen and provide any individualized support. We know that at this time, you can feel afraid, upset, and alone. You deserve all the love and attention possible, especially since you are pregnant. We sincerely hope that you receive that! We wish you the absolute best of luck!

Feel free to reach out again!

Best,

NRS

Comment

Hi I'm 18 want out of the house I'm tired of my mom and step dad can she make me stay home

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. Since you are 18 you are considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving is a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It is also helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
              Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
              [email protected] (Crisis Email)
              1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
              https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi there im 18 years of age and the night before last i got caught driving my vehicle without plates and i also got caught with a marjuwanna bowl and the possetion of alchol. My dad thinks this is all my gf fault and he wants to stop me from ever seeing her again . Tonight i plan to run away and go live with her but i am still in school and for my charges im out on an or bond and i dont want to get in trouble but i need to have a good life where i can leave and be happy with the girl i love .What is you guys opinion?

Comment

• ccsmod3
                  ccsmod3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out on our forum. We’re sorry to hear your dad wants you to stop seeing your girlfriend after your recent legal issues. Please know we are not here to judge you. It sounds like a lot to handle on top of still being in school. Typically 18 year-olds are able to move out, although there are some states where your parents are still expected to take care of you beyond that point. Your situation sounds a bit different since you mentioned you are out on bond. We are not legal experts; however, it might help to figure out the conditions of your bond and any future court dates. If you’d like to keep talking about your plan, we encourage you to try reaching out to us directly through our Live Chat which opens today at 4:30pm CST. Best of luck!

My son is 18 we live in Mississippi and he moved out with him still in high school. Is there anything that I can do?

Comment

• ccsmod16
                  ccsmod16 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline.
                  It sounds like you are in a tough situation. Because your son is 18, he is likely allowed to live outside of your home without supervision. Therefore, you would not be able to call the police, social workers, or other authorities to force him to come back home. To find out for sure, you may need to contact your local law enforcement.
                  If you are able to contact your son and talk to him about how you are feeling, you might consider asking questions like:

1. Are you safe?
                  2. What would the best situation/living arrangement for you be like?
                  3. How are you feeling?
                  4. Why did you want to move out?

You can also let your son know how you are feeling, and if you want him to move back home, why you think it would be the best place for him. It might feel hard to reach out, but it sounds like you want your voice to be heard.

We are a 24/7 hotline, so you can call us at any time to brainstorm a plan for you to reach out to your son.

Your son is also welcome to reach out to us. We are able to do conference calls, but it’s only if your son were to call us to initiate one with you. If he is experiencing difficulties finding places to stay, we can also help him make a plan to keep himself safe. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we are glad that you’ve reached out for help. That’s a great step to take.

Our hotline number is 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Thank you,

NRS

i want to leave my house at age 18 can mom still call cops ? what will they do ?

Comment

• ccsmod7
                  ccsmod7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Here at NRS we are not legal experts, but we can speak generally. 18 years old is typically the age that you are considered a legal adult and can make your own life decisions including choosing where you live. To double check, you might google your state’s majority age to make sure that it is 18. Your mom cannot force you to stay in the house if your state’s majority age is 18, and she cannot make a runaway report for you with local police. You are free to live where you choose. If you haven’t already, you might start thinking about how you will support yourself if you are currently receiving assistance from your mom.

If you leave without her knowing and she thinks you are missing or abducted, she can make a missing person’s report for you after a certain amount of hours. So if you are planning on leaving without her knowing, you might leave a note or contact her later telling her that you are safe to avoid a missing person report.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have any additional questions or if you would like to talk about your situation. We can help brainstorm your options, provide support, and possibly find some helpful resources for you.

Best wishes,

NRS

Hello I'm 17 years old I'm about to be 18 on Friday and I'm thinking of leaving my house on the same day because I just can't live in my hours anymore thing have just getting so bad but the only thing I'm worred about is one thing which is my boyfriend is 22 and I'm going to be 18 is there anyway that could be a positive that his age could be a problem I just need help I'm not so sure how thing work here in the U. A. S can my dad report that to the police

Comment

• ccsmod8
                  ccsmod8 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life especially at home if you’re wanting to leave.

Like we tell a lot of our callers and/or people that email us, the laws on that specific subject of running away vary from state to state. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since you have stated that you are going to be turning 18 on Friday and plan on leaving this wouldn’t affect your plan. Now if you haven’t told your parents where you are or have cut all communication with them, they can call the police still but to file a missing person’s report rather than a runaway report. It wouldn’t affect you either though because they don’t normally come up on background checks. You can always go to the police and tell them that you aren’t missing.

You have also expressed concern for you boyfriend because he’s 22 years old. We aren’t really sure what you are concerned about, but if you are worried that he’s going to get in trouble for having sex with a 18 year old we can give you some information about age of consent. So in most states only those 16 years and older are able to consent to having sex with someone of the opposite or same sex. Concerning that you’re 18 that shouldn’t be an issue and he can’t be charged with statutory rape.

Hope that this information helps!

I recently turned 18 and I also have a kid. I want to move out of my mothers for a very long time. I decided to move in with my dad. My dad is an alcoholic, but he recently haven't been drinking since he got out of rehab. I keep telling her im moving out, but she threatens to calls the cops. Would the law enforcement make me stay at the home with my mother if it ever occurs to that? Would it be a good idea for me and my child to move in with my dad?

Comment

• ccsmod16
                  ccsmod16 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,
                  Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have a lot going on is your life, and we are here to try and help. You asked about moving out of your mom’s house at 18 with your child.
                  While we are not legal experts here at NRS we can say that the age of majority in most states is 18 (that means the age at which you can move out without your parents’ permission), with the exception of a few. Since you didn’t mention which sate you are in, you can check the laws in your state at the website www.sexetc.org. If your state’s age of majority is over 18, then you are considered a legal adult and are free to move out at any time you wish. One other question to consider before leaving is the custody of your child.
                  You may want to make sure you are listed as his/her legal guardian. Sometime with minors having children, their parents are put as the guardian and not the youth. If your mother is named legal guardian over your child, then you might not be able to take your child with you. That could lead to kidnapping charges pressed by your mother. If you are listed as their guardian then you are free to take your child with you when you move out.
                  Now it sounds like you have spoken with your father and have developed a plan for you and your child to move in with him. It might be helpful to think of your your overall plan, (i.e what's your role in the house, are you going to be working, how long are you going to live there, will you be paying your share of the bills, what about child care, what happens if you realize down the road that you can't live together and he kicks you out or starts drinking again, etc). Coming up with a solid plan is helpful just in case something goes wrong and you need a plan B.
                  If you want resources related to mother and child shelters or transitional living arrangements, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), or you can chat with us via our live chat available on our website www.1800runaway.org. Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and we would like to hear from you. Take care.
                  Best,
                  NRS

Can I move out when I'm 18 even if I have a Pmentally illness (PTSD, & other stuff like that too?) I'm going to be 18 on September 7 but can my parents call the cops & send me back to their house ?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                  ccsmod2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,

It seems that you have concerns about whether or not your parents can make you go back home if you run away at 18 years old. We aren't legal experts so we can't say what exactly will happen if you decide to leave. If you are considered an adult in your state at 18, then you may be able to make your own decisions about where you live. In order to be sure, you can check with your local law enforcement or legal agency to find out what the runaway laws are.

Good luck,
                  NRS

i'm 18, going to be 19 in a few months. my family and home is a very toxic environment, my legal guardians (who i don't think are my legal guardians anymore since i'm 1 are extremely controlling, and verbally and physically abuse me, i don't feel comfortable in the house. i have a boyfriend that i've been dating for a few years whose family is offering me refuge while he and i save up to rent an apartment. but the only problem is that if i leave my guardians have threatened to withhold my social security card and my birth certificate, my medical informations, my Kaiser card, and all legal documents that i'd need to move out. can i report that to the police as theft? they have also threatened to call the cops if i leave and report me as missing. i have epilepsy, so they can report me as dependent. i have a job, and refuge, so what can they legally do f i leave? i can't stay much longer i'm afraid i might snap and hurt someone or myself, please help

Comment

• ccsmod14
                  ccsmod14 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.
                  Sounds like you've been having some difficulty at home. We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. Your safety and well-being is important, you do not have to face this alone, and there are different forms of help out there for you.

We’re not legal experts here so it is hard to say what the law is in this case. Generally speaking, in most states, the legal age of majority is 18. You can confirm the legal age in your area by calling your local police department. They may be able to let you know your legal rights. You can also try calling us and we might be able to find local free legal aid resources that can help you acquire your belongings.

It can be beneficial to think about who your support system is in a time like this, whether it be friends or other family members. It might be helpful to have someone that you really trust to know what is going on with your and your feelings, they can always provide you with direct support in person if you needed it, (i.e close friends, family members, school counselor, etc). Maybe there is someone your parents’ respect that can help mediate a conversation between you and them so that you can get your belongings back.

Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat to offer local resources as well.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

http://www.1800runaway.org/

Take care,
                  NRS

hi... so turned 18 on the 17th of April this month... the relationship with my family was not a good one.. at all... my dad touched my step sisters and even his own daughter (me). my step mother is a ticking time bomb and screams at me when she gets the chance. The day of my birthday I told my dad again for the third time that i was moving out the next day. he looked at me and told me i wasn't allowed to leave. he said he could have the cops come and get me and take me back because i was still in high school. later that night, my step mom got home and screamed at me for a long amount of time. i finally told her about the things that my dad had been doing and she flipped out on me and said i was just telling stories. Even my step sister told her that it had been happening. she punched me a few time down my side and my dad ran up to me as if he was going to punch me but didn't. he called me a lot of vile names.. and that was basically most of my birthday that night. I couldn't call anyone because my step mother threw my phone and shattered it.. i moved in with my boyfriends mom and him. they are a really good family who are helping me through this... i am extremely scared of losing them.

The next day they would not let me leave until later on in the day and i could have had someone come and get me out of there sooner... but was too scared to do anything. I have been out of the house for one whole day and they are already trying to make things harder. my dad has claimed all my money from my college savings account.. they are using my first ever dream prom dress against me and now there is a phone situation. they want to keep me on the same line with them... but that means that they would be able to shut the phone off when ever they would want to. they bought it to make it up to me.. but i want no part in them anymore so i told my dad no. they flipped out on me about the phone because i guess they had already gotten it before i could really think it over. they are still trying to have control of me... and it feels like its just going to keep getting worse and worse and worse before it gets better... i am too scared to tell anyone in person about the fight thing because i don't want anything bad to happen to anyone.. I'm just really scared at the moment and i haven't been able to sleep lately. this is honestly the first time i have told anyone the specifics of the situation.

My main point is i was wondering if they could
                1. force me to go back. (i live in Iowa)
                2. what should i do about the phone situation...
                3. is there any way i can completely disconnect myself from them and not have them mess with anything that deals with me legally?..
                4. any other little bit of advice that could help me... i am in dire need of some more help and i am too scared to ask any non internet person... i have lived three years with them.. building up my fear... Please.. Help Me.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                  ccsmod2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,

W're sorry to hear that you have been going through such a traumatic time at home. Thanks for reaching out, it takes a lot of strength to do that. We here at NRS are non directive, so legally you would need to ask an expert such as non emergency police or a legal aid agency what the laws are in your area. You could also try asking a school administrator if they have information about 18 year olds who are still in school. If you are considered an adult, then you would most likely be legally able to make your own decisions and go from there.

Good luck,
                  NRS

I am 19 years old and physically disabled, things at home are bad i get verbally abused and get treated differntly to the rest of my family, i'm thinking of running away as i am really struggling to cope with being treated like this everyday. I cant even speak without them saying some smart comment, or taking mick out of me, i have had enough

Comment

• ccsmod1
                  ccsmod1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. You don't deserve to be abused in any way, and it is understandable that you are thinking about moving out. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/
                  We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Best of luck,

NRS
              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X