Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod8
    replied
    RE: I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Hello,

We appreciate you taking time to reach out to us to gather resources to help resolve your matter at home. We are here to empower you and to help explore options. We are not legal experts. We cannot offer legal advice. Leaving home tend to vary from state to state and can be circumstantial. However, 18 is the age of majority in Indiana.

Once you have reached that age it may be considered legal for you to leave home. Your mother may not be able to file a runaway report because the police may use their own discretion because of your age. The missing person report is not something we are entirely sure of. These two reports may be interchangeable at times. The police may look at them as the same. You mentioned you may be able to call the police yourself to tell them the real situation.

When do you think you will be able to do that? It may also help to get a second opinion to make sure you are given the right information. Your mother has the right to call the police to voice her feelings on this matter but legally there is little she may be able to do to stop you from leaving. Is there anything that your mother may still expect of you before you do? What is your plan?

It sounds like this is something you have thought a lot about. We asked about your plan because we hope you can give us a call to explore short or long term plan and how you hope to achieve these. You are welcome to call us directly at 1800RUNAWAY 24 hours a day to speak with any liner here to get resources. We have a database filled with resources local to most city and states. It matters simply on what you intend to do to survive if you left home. We want to help in case you are thinking about options and surviving. We hope this information was helpful in some way. Good luck.

-NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

I'm eighteen years old and things are so bad at home, I'm ready to leave. I've thought about my decision for a long time, and I plan to leave Indiana. I have told my mom I don't want to live under the roof anymore, but she says she will call the cops and report me as a missing person. However, I want to know if this is possible (and legal). Can I go to the police explaining the situation and proving to them that I am a legal adult and that I can legally leave? If not, what can I do to ensure that I will get the police called on me as a 'missing person'?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X