Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: I'm 18 and wanting to move out in Indiana

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life.

We want to start off by letting you know that we are here for runaway (18 and under) and homeless (youth 22 and under). Typically in most states, once you are over the age of 18, you are considered an adult. Meaning that you would be able to make your own decisions and decide where you would want to live. If you wanted more information regarding your state, you would be able to reach out to your local police department and ask some general questions.

We wish you the best of luck and hope to get your call soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm 18 and ready to leave my mother house

I'm 18 and I want to leave my mother house I'm tired of living with her she doesn't let me do anything but stay in the house, what about mostly happen if I left her house without telling her? , can she fill a missing child report? if I don't come back to live with her can she keep all my important papers or will I be able to get my personal belongings?.

Comment

Reply: I'm 18 and ready to leave my mother house

Hello,
        Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

In most states you become a legal adult at eighteen years of age.
        You can check your state law for age of majority by contacting the non-emergency number of your local police department and asking them about the age of majority in your state.
        Once you have reached the legal age of adulthood you become independent and can move out of your parent’s home.

You might want to consider making a list of questions that you would like answers to when you call the police department.
        Things like a birth certificate or social security card can be duplicated at the nearest county and social security office. You might visit their websites to know what you will need to bring in order to get duplicates of any documents needed.
        Does that make sense?

We hope this information helps to answer your questions.
        Good luck and take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Re: I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

So I'm planning on moving out when I'm eighteen. There's nothing wrong with my household other than my dad is mean and my mom has a degree in nagging. I just dont want to be there anymore. If i move in with my boyfriend and his dad when im eighteen can my mom or dad press charges?

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re sorry to hear your home situation is causing you stress but it’s great that you’re trying to find answers and doing your research to improve your situation. It sounds like you’re planning on moving out once you turn 18 to live with your boyfriend and his father. We’re not legal experts here but generally speaking, when you turn 18 you are considered an adult. This means that your parents wouldn’t be able to file a runaway report if you chose to leave home. This would also mean they couldn’t force you to return home because the police would consider you an adult. Have you discussed your plan with your parents or your boyfriend? Do you think his dad would be on board with you moving in? We would love to hear more about your situation and help serve your unique needs so please don’t hesitate to give us a call any time at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY). We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week and those can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org.
            We look forward to hearing from you and wish you luck!
            Last edited by ccsmod16; 03-21-2016, 09:06 PM.

[email protected]ay.org (Crisis Email)

Comment

HI Im 18 years old and I'm having problems at home
              I was able to find a place of my own but my question is can my parents call the police and tell them that I ran away
              I live in Los Angeles ca

Comment

Thank you for using our bulletin service.
                It is great that you were able to find a place of your own that shows a lot of maturity. We can only speak generally about a youth not living at home. Generally speaking the age of majority in most states is 18. That being said a youth should be able to move out on their own because in the eyes of the law you are technically an adult. This is just a general statement to find out definitely contact your local police department. If you do not feel comfortable contacting them you can give us a call and we can call anonymously for you.
                1-800-RUNAWAY

Comment

18 and in Colorado

I just turned 18 a couple days ago, and I've thought about leaving home for years. My parents are unreasonably strict and it's finally taken its toll on me. You see, I've had a boyfriend for all these years, who they never liked simply because my dad didn't want me to date and went as far as hitting him infront of me and embarrassing us both. I'm sick and tired of having to hide my relationship, which I know is a genuinely healthy, happy, loving relationship. When I move out, I don't want my parents to be following me around,or to show up trying to knock on the door at my boyfriend's house.(which yes, they know where he is, because my dad would follow him home sometimes withouttelling me, yelling at his mom to keep her son away from me)I don't want anything to do with my parents after all they've done to hurt me. My boyfriend and his family agree as well, and they want me to move in with them. On the day I move out, and my parents start to yell and hit me, will it help to call a cop?beforehand? Like would that ensure that I got out of the house with all my things safely and calmly? Once again, I don't want my parents to keep following me after I leave, my anxiety and panic attacks are bad enough as it is and I don't want them anywhere near me. What can I do?

Comment

Re: 18 and in Colorado

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really tough for you and your boyfriend. We’re sorry to hear about this. It sounds like you and your boyfriend care a lot about each other and your parents have been making it really tough. We’re glad that you reached out and shared a little bit about what’s been going on, we’re here to help out the best that we can.

It sounds like you have turned 18, and you’re looking to move in with your boyfriend and his family. We’re not here to tell you what you should or should not do, we’re just here to help keep you safe in what you decide. It sounds like you are concerned about leaving because you feel your parents will become hit or yell at you. You do not deserve to be hit by anybody. You always have the right to call the police if you are feeling unsafe at any point.

You talked about the idea of calling the police beforehand. This might be an option you can explore further with your local police department. If you would like assistance with this, you could call us first and we can try to brainstorm ideas of how to go about this conversation, or we could make that call out with you or on your behalf.

We’re here 24/7 to help out in any way we can. Please do call or chat with us at (800) RUNAWAY (786 2929).

Best,
                    NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

leavιng нoмe

ιм 18 yearѕ old and ιм тιerd oғ ѕтayιng ιn тнιѕ нorrιвle нoυѕe нole wнere тнeн are тreaтιng мeн wrong and ι нave a 9 мonтн old вaвy nd ι donт wanт нer тo вe ιn тнιѕ нoυѕe ѕeeιng тнιѕ can тнey ѕтop мeн ғroм leavιng ι goт ѕoмe wнere тo go ι jυѕт need нelp or can тнey call тнe copѕ ιn cнιcago ιllιnoιѕ

Comment

RE: leavιng нoмe

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. We are sorry to hear that you are not being treated well at home. That sounds like a very stressful situation. We are here to listen and support you in any way we can. It sounds like you are thinking about moving out. Since you are 18, you are considered a legal adult, which means that you can move out if you want and they can’t stop you. One thing to consider is whether you have full custody of your baby. If you share custody with someone or you do not have custody rights, if you take the baby you could get in trouble. However, if you have full custody you should not have a problem as long as you can go somewhere safe and stable. We can help you find resources for somewhere to go if you want. It helps to have a plan for where you will stay, how you will survive, and how you will provide for your child once you move out. We are here to help however we can. If you have any questions or you need to talk through your situation, please don’t hesitate to call. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

I need help fast !!

I am 18 and a word of the state I live with my aunt and uncol but I'm not happy there I want to move out but I'm scared I could still be charged as a runaway ? Is this true ?

Comment

Hi,
                            Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us at National Runaway Safeline and we hope to help you get the information you need to make decisions in this frustrating time. We want you to know we are not licensed attorneys and can only provide general answers to your question about your situation. If you want to contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we can possibly connect you with legal aid that works with youth in your area and who can provide you with case specific potential consequences of leaving. Another service we offer is a chat room that is open from 4:30pm to 11:30pm/CST (www.1800RUNAWAY.org) if you feel more comfortable with text /chat.
                            Because you mentioned needing help fast, so we want to provide some basic information: in 48 states a person is a legal adult at 18 and in the states of Alabama and Nebraska a youth is considered at adult at age is 19. There may be further rules when a youth is a ward of the state so we have found that the fastest information is to call your county or state office that overseas foster care or directly ask your assigned casework (If you have one).
                            Best of luck.

Comment

2 year leave, going across the border

HI I'm going to leave in two years, I know when I'm 18 I would be legally adult. Things at home are complicate,abusive brother, alcoholic father, and a controlling mother. My boyfriend said he will lick me up in two years because he lives in Canada and he thought I would be safer over there. I just want to know if my parents will still look for me and if me crossing the border will change anything legally. I live in New York by the way.

Comment

RE: 2 year leave, going across the border

Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here on our public forum here at the National Runaway Safeline. We hope that helping you through your crisis, there are others that will be able to get help as well by reading through the thread. After reading your post it seems like you’re planning on running away to escape an abusive situation at home. It’s great that you are looking out for yourself and want to plan ahead. It can be pretty frustrating at knowing what your next step is going to be.

Now we aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but we can provide you with some information on general runaway laws. By the age of 18 in New York you would be considered to be a legal adult. Meaning that you are able to leave your house without getting in trouble; even if you cross the border into Canada. One thing that you might want to consider is that things might be a little different in Canada than they are in the States. Depending on where you were going the legal age is either 18 or 19 years old. It also might be hard for you to get services since you aren’t a legal citizen of Canada. So getting a job or going to school might be an obstacle. But like we stated earlier we aren’t legal experts.

There is a Canada child help line that you might be able to reach out to for more information about leaving the States and going into Canada at 18 years old. You can reach them on their website (http://www.kidshelpphone.ca/teens/home/splash.aspx) and their agency name is “Kids Help Phone.”

If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X