Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my partner lives with really terrible foster parents, they turn 18 in Sept. and we plan for them to move out as soon as they turn 18 and stay with me and my mother or with me in an apartment if we are able to buy it. They are afraid they will make them stay inside the house or if they do get out, try to get law enforcement involved to take them back. They both know of this plan we have and this is in California and we just want to make sure they won't be able to do anything to make my partner stay inside their house or harm me in any way or even get law enforcement involved successfully

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your partner’s foster parents are making their life so difficult, but it is great that they have friends like you that they can rely on. It is our understanding that once you turn 18 in the state of California, you have the right to live where you choose. Once your partner turns 18, their parents will not be able to force them with the police or without to stay or live anywhere. If you want to talk more about your partner’s situation or what options they might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• I'm 18 almost turning 19 on June 4th. I wanted to leave home almost 3 years ago but I waited until I was 18 even if I have Autism Spectrum Disorder. I know where I'm supposed to go and I have an online college class, but my mom never lets me have a job nor letting me leave home even though I am 18 years of age and I live in Indiana. I did most of the laundry, chores, and everything. I don't have my license yet and my mom currently blames me for my mistakes. Not only that, but my mom doesn't allow me to be LGBTQ+ because I live in a Christian household and I'm Panromantic Demisexual. She won't let me leave the house until I'm married and I never got engaged yet. I have all good grades, do every chore, etc. My mom never respects my boundaries. I told her I was planning to live with her and she said no. My dad is very toxic because he had manipulated me twice, which I am glad that I don't live with him. I don't hang out with my friends as much because she doesn't want me to spend the night at a friend's house nor a friend spending the night at my mom's house. A lot of my friends are part of the LGBTQ+ group and I am more interested in girls than guys even though I have a boyfriend. My mom is overprotective that I just can't stand it anymore. Everything that I do I always have to ask permission from her and the majority of my dates is planned by my mom and his mom, which are not really fun. I wanted to be free and express myself of who I am, but I can't with my mother being around smothering me and I'm her oldest child.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your mom is not respecting how you identify and that she is overly controlling of you. It makes sense that you want to make your own decisions and live life according to yourself and not others. Everyone has the right to live their life in the direction that they see fit and you are no exception. The LGBTQ National Hotline is a great resource for those looking for guidance from people who have undergone the same or similar experiences. They are reachable at 888 843-4564.

If you are looking to move out, unless you are in NE, MS, or AL, then you are legally an adult and have the right to choose where you live. It might be worth it to talk with your friends and see if there are any living opportunities in your social network. Additionally, we would be happy to look through our database of resources to see if there are any youth shelters or long term programs that might be available to you in your area. We can also help you sort through making an effective and safe plan for leaving if you would like. If any of these options interest you or if you would like to talk more about what is going on, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• i am 17 and i will be 18 in September me and my mom don´t get along well, i be sneaking out to see my boyfriend and she caught me and she putting me on lock down and wont let me go no where and takes my phone. is she allowed to do this? and when i leave her house when im 18 can she call the cops on me or will she let me stay ?

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I'm 18 almost 19 and I give birth in September. I've been having trouble at home and have been wanting to move to Louisiana with my boyfriend but I'm afraid my mother will call the cops. Can they do anything if I'm well past the legal age?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your current living situation has gotten so bad that you need to leave. Provided that you are over the age of majority, 18 in most states, you have the right to live where you please. The police or your mom would not be able to force you to stay anywhere.

If you would like to talk more about what’s going on and what options you have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call back at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• if im 17 and my boyfriend is 18 and my mother put a restraining order on him even if he never abused me or nothing just for hate.. when im 18 and hes 19 will it affect him if we move out of state together? can he still get charged even if im 18? we are in texas state right not.. trying to go to colorado or cali. can he get time for taking me with him even with my consent?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you dealing with a lot right now. It sounds like it has been incredibly frustrating for you that you want to move in with your boyfriend but there are some legal concerns. From what we know, your boyfriend could face legal consequences if he were to violate a current restraining order. Because we are not legal experts and restraining orders can vary, we are not able to give specific answers to the question. The National Domestic Violence Hotline, https://www.thehotline.org/, might have more knowledge on this and be able to better answer your questions. A lawyer would be able to give you the most specific and accurate information. We are happy to refer you to legal aid for your area if you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,
      NRS

• I just turned 18 on the 29th of November , I wanted to leave and go stay with my boyfriend but my mom says that since she is legally responsible for me while I’m still in highschool that I cannot make my own decisions and do what I want as long as I’m up under her roof , yet she won’t allow me to leave . is this right ?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time.
      We are not legal experts but from our knowledge in most states one you are 18 you are legally allowed to leave home without permission. We are not sure if being in high school would make a difference in you being allowed to leave home. You could always call your local police department, they would be able to tell you for sure what would happen if you left.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. Please reach out to us if you have any more questions or would like to talk more about your situation. We are available 24/7 to listen and provide support. Best of luck!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X