Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    When I'm 18 yr, can i leave the house by myself?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi, thank you so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are making a big decision by wanting to move back in with your dad.

You mentioned you are wondering if it is illegal to move back in with your dad if he doesn’t want you there. Since you are 18, you are considered a legal adult, in most states. This means that you are not required by law to live with your parent or guardian. Because you are an adult, if your dad doesn’t want you to stay there, it would be illegal to live in his house without his consent. However, if your dad is willing to let you live with him, but just isn’t happy about it, you can still legally live there.

It sounds like it may be a stressful situation living with your dad since he doesn’t want you to live there. Have you tried talking with your dad about going to live with him again? This can be a difficult conversation to have. We are available to help guide you through this conversation through a conference call with him, or just practice how this would go. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you are interested in talking further about this option.

If your dad is unwilling to let you live with him, is there anyone else you would feel more comfortable staying with? If not, and we can look into transitional living programs that you may be eligible for. These are more permanent housing situations that allow you to go to school or hold a job as you transition into a more independent living situation. Feel free to call us and we can look into some of these options for you.

Thanks again for contacting us, we wish you the best of luck.

Guest replied
    If I’m 18 and I lived with my dad but moved out then later on decided that I wanna move back in with my father because I temporarily moved in with my girlfriend but we broke up, can I get in trouble with the law if I move back in And my dad doesn’t want me there

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hello, thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you want to move to Puerto Rico to be with your boyfriend but are afraid because you are not at the age of majority yet. It sounds like you have already begun to do some research as to what right you have to leave. We want you to know that we are not legal experts but to our knowledge if you were to leave the country your parents have the right to report you as a runaway. If the police found you they would then they would return you home but they could potentially charge your boyfriend with harboring or some other related charges.
    We are sorry to be the barriers of bad news but the only ways that we know of to legally leave your parents’ home before the age of majority is to either get your guardians permission, become emancipated or have child protective services remove your parents’ rights. If you would like to talk more about these options you are always welcome to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929
    Best of Luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello!

I'm 18 and wish to move to Puerto Rico. However, I live in MS and the state law of majority states i must be 21 to leave, and don't wish to have my boyfriend penalized for kidnapping, although I left of my own accord.

Is there any way to go about this legally that I can leave with no issues?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hello I'm 18 and at my sisters house.

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

Nineteen is the age of adulthood in the state of Alabama However since we ae not legal experts you might consider contacting your local police department, courts or bail bondsman about your situation.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please give us a call. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

We hope to hear from you soon.
    Take care,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello I'm 18 and at my sisters house. I live in Alabama and I'm out on bond. My mom has went insane but refused treatment which is why I'm here. She has told me to come home or she will call the police, do I have to comply.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-20-2017, 06:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Guest replied
    Hi,

Im 13 and was living in England for basically all my life. Now my parents have forced me to move to another continent completely and now I'm living in Jordan which is in the Middle East. Me and my brother (he is nearly 15) are really against it for many reasons. The main reasons are: 1) Education here is very very bad compared to England which also ruins our future as our careers we were building are not available here so our futures are ruined. 2) The atmosphere and the country here is very old fashioned and not clean or modern whatsoever. 3) It is very very dangerous here as the security is low and we are very close to Syria and the bombing. In fact a place near our house (about 15 minutes drive) was bombed. That could've been us.

We are seriously worried about our own selves as this country is not safe and it ruins everything for us. I also have depression and anxiety so this move and the consequences make my depression and anxiety so much worse. My dad is living in England (but my mum is living with us) and we are able to move back as we don't have money problems concerning education or food and drink. My parents are not divorced or separated. Is it possible for my brother and I to move in with my dad against my parents will??

Please answer soon as this is serious and we don't know what to do anymore. If this problem isn't fixed and we don't move back to England, we will drop out of school and not apply for a college diploma or anything. In fact, my brother has already started the process of dropping out behind my parents' back.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

It sounds like a difficult situation and that talking to you mother about moving in with a friend may be a challenging conversation. Unfortunately we are not legal experts here so we cannot speculate as to how your specific situation may be handled but generally speaking in the US if you are 18 or older you are considered a legal adult and able to leave home without a guardian’s permission. However there are some cases where a parent or legal guardian may have extended their legal guardianship. In order to do this they would have had to go to court and obtain conservatorship over someone over 18, although typically you would know if this had occurred in your situation.

Additionally, you may want to consider how you will continue to obtain care for your bipolar disorder if no longer at home. We know every situation is different and we are here 24/7 to talk through everything going on right now and help brainstorm ways to approach a conversation with your mom or provide resources that may be helpful. We can be reached at 1-800-786-2929 or online at www.runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best of Luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 18. And have bipolar disorder. It's never affected me. And I would like to move in with my friend and her family. Can my mother call the police and take me away? Or send me away?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    replied
    Hi there, thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you are in an incredibly difficult situation caught between your parents and wanting to support your girlfriend. It is really great of you to be of such great support to your girlfriend while she is going through so much.
    Since you are of legal age, you could move out of your parents’ home and live with your girlfriend. If you are worried about how her parents would feel about that, you may consider speaking with them about living with them, access to a car to get to work and school, and the responsibility of who will pay for food, etc. If possible, you may consider getting a job if you don’t have one already to help pay costs.
    It really sounds like you care about your girlfriend a lot and it can be tough to see her suffering so much. There is help for both of you. You certainly are not alone in this! Many people experience hard times when a loved one has anxiety or depression. TWLOHA.com is a great resource for self-harm since you mentioned your girlfriend sometimes engages in that. It stands for To Write Love on Her Arms. The website has blog posts by other people in similar situations, links to finding local and online help, and even a texting hotline where both you and your girlfriend can get support. Make sure to take care of yourself too through all of this. Supporting someone with anxiety and depression can be really hard!
    You may also look at the Trevor Project (hotline: 1-866-488-7386, thetrevorproject.org) or the It Gets Better Project (itgetsbetter.org). All of these resources can be really helpful when dealing with things like depression, anxiety, self-harm, and suicide. There is also the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline which you or your girlfriend can reach out to (1-800-273-8255, suicidepreventionlifeline.org). Both their hotline and their online chat are free, confidential, and 24/7.
    Please feel free to call us 24/7 if you need more support or would like some local resources as well (1-800-786-2929). Our live chat is also available via our website (click on the CHAT button) from 4pm-11pm Central Time daily.
    You are really strong for reaching out. It is a tough spot to be in between your parents and your girlfriend. Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to listen, here to help!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im turning 21 nextweek and I live in California and I was thinking of moving out of my parents house and live with my girlfriend. I have not thought this out and not sure what to do if her parents can support me to drive to school, work, and ect. and i know that i can't always depend on my gf's parents so I'll probably have to get my own food from a food drive from my school. I know that my gf is willing to take me in but i am not sure of the other affects that may happen. My gf and I have been dating around Feb. and my parents do not support our relationship bc of what they belive isn't true bc they only saw the surface of my gf mean acts, understandably she dose get angry and yell and curse alot, her anxiety and depression mixes in badly so it makes it worse all at once. (idk if that is normal if with ppl with anxeity gets really mad and such.. i just feel like im the only one whos going through this )And my parents never seem to believe that she has these problems only to be seen as "mental and crazy" .. and it truly hurts me bc they felt like i was just manipulated to be with her, bc of how "crazy " she acts. I can understand where they are coming from but i dont want to assume that if things did get too far then I'll have to do the right thing to break up, but then again i get stubborn of breaking up bc of our fights with my gf and i sincerely want things to be right, at times she'll even cut herself and i dont know what to do and keeps blaming it on me bc she said it is my fault.. and i hated that feeling so much bc i made her hurt herself.. and my parents get involved too (not with the suicide) bc they snoop around of how much i use my phone so now its harder for me and my gf to see each other bc my parents hate her. When my dad told me to come in and talk to me today bc they saw me using my phone to talk to her ( bc i was never supposed to in the first place even though i always do) i was talking about moving out and probably moving in with my gf.. my dad said that he'll excommunicate with me and never call me as his daughter again but he sincerly didnt want to do that to me bc i really just wanted to leave and be with her... and then he wouldnt let me live at her house, he said that he'll call the police so i wont live there anymore and live on the streets or somewhere else other her house?? although i am legal age i dont think that the police can do that to me.. it makes no sense.. but he would accept that if i finish school and dont talk to her then i can move out and do whatever i wantttttt but i still talk to my gf bc she needs me for everything.. So i dont know what to do?.. Im not even sure how to ask the question.. bc i dont want to risk things for my gf and my dad will do worser things if i do cont to talk to my gf.. and i am scared..

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are hoping to move out of your mother’s house before the age of 18 but are wondering if she still has the ability to call the police if you tell her where you are. While we are not legal experts we cannot say without doubt what rights she has as your legal guardian. One way to find out for sure what rights you have would be to call out to your local non-emergency police. We hope that everything works out for you. Moving out is a big step and we want to support you as best we can. Please give us a call if you need anything else 1-800-786-2929

Guest replied
    Hi I will be 18 in four months and plan on moving out my mom house we live in north carolina but I'm not moving out north carolina ima still stay in north carolina, but can she still call the cops on me if I tell her where I will be living at

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X