Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving, can my mom call the cops and report me missing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 living in North Carolina about to move out

I'm 17 living with my mom and dad and every time I tr to have fun and go somewhere they get so upset and cuss me out my mom lies and says that I have been with way to many guys when I have only been with 2 she says "oh but your breaking the rules" sooo....when they tell me to come home at 8:30 i come home exactly at 8:30 like wtf then my sister calls me a piece of ******** and says that my mom has thought about kicking me out and says that I'm an embarrassment i need to figure out a way to move out without them knowing

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for reaching out to us! These subjects aren't always easy to talk about, and asking for help can be scary.

It sounds like your parents and sister have been yelling at you a lot. It also sounds like your mom has judged you for your choices, and accused you of breaking rules, when you feel like you have been carefully following them. Everything you described sounds really frustrating and painful to live with. Being angry about this is really understandable, and so is wanting some freedom to make your own choices without being judged or cursed at.

It also sounds like you have been considering running away. As a 17 year old, if you were to move out without your parents’ knowledge, they might file a runaway report with the police. This doesn’t mean you would be in legal trouble, but if you were found by the police, they would probably bring you back to your parents’ place. It is also possible that anyone you were staying with might face legal consequences for harboring a runaway, and finally many housing resources (such as shelters) are required to inform your parents where you are if you were to stay there.

If you are close to turning 18, you might consider waiting until then, when you will have more choices. But whether you decide to leave home while 17 or 18, it’s important to think through a plan that includes a safe place to stay, and reliable ways to access necessities such as food, clothing, and healthcare. It’s also important to create a safety plan, in case you run into an emergency.

If you want help working through a plan, or just somewhere confidential to vent, we are always here to listen, and share resources, either by phone (1-800-RUNAWAY) or by chat via our website (www.1800runaway.org). Thank you again for reaching out to us – it sounds like you’re in a frustrating situation, and we are here to listen and help.

Take care,
      NRS

• I’m 17 and I want to move out.

My mom treats me like crap. And my parents are always arguing and there has been some violence in the house. I get screamed at and cussed out if I forget to wash the dishes for one day but when my brothers forget th

Comment

• I’m 17 and I want to move out.

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like things are pretty difficult for you at home and it may be causing you some stress. It’s unfortunate that this behavior is going on. You don’t deserve to be mistreated in any way. It’s not your fault that this is happening.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hello I'm 19 years old and I have been wanting to move out and I have tried talking to my parents about it but they both told me they wouldn't support me in any way and I have a 1 year old she will be 2 here pretty soon I have tried talking to my parents about gettin an apartment by myself but they told me I wasn't mature enough so I have been slowly packing up my things to go and live with my daughters real father he has been wanting me to move in and I like the idea of it because here at my house I get no freedom my mom has to know where I'm at 24/7 if she doesn't know where I'm at she flips out especially if I don't answer her phone calls cause when I get home she yells at me constantly and also she gets onto my daughter the way she wants and she does nothing but yell and scream and spank my daughter and I can't say or do nothing about it because then I get yelled at and that makes me feel like a the worst mother ever I can't even get onto my kid the way I want everything has to be done her way and also my dad said if I started a job half my paycheck goes to them and the other half I have to spend wisely I don't know what to do anymore besides just getting up and leaving I have tried multiple times talking to them but neither one of them wanna actually listen and here what I have to say I just wanna give my daughter the life she deserves and with us living here I cannot do that....
        Help me please!
        I need some advice on what to do!

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It must be very frustrating to give so many restrictions placed on you and to not be able to make decisions on how best to raise your daughter. Since you are 19 you are considered a legal adult (unless you are in Mississippi in which case the age of majority is 21). This means that you can live wherever and leave anytime you wish. If you are planning on living with your daughter's father it is always a good idea to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
          NRS

• i am 2 weeks from being 18. I live in florida. My parents wont let me leave. how much trouble could I get into if I just left?

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline.

You mentioned wanting to leave two weeks before your 18th birthday. In Florida, the age of majority is 18. Generally, if you leave before turning 18, your guardians can file a runaway report which would have the police looking for you. If you are staying with friends, they could be charged with harboring a runaway. We are not legal experts, though, and one way to gauge your rights is to reach out to your local, non-emergency police with hypothetical questions. Laws vary depending on situation and location.

Know that we are here 24/7 if you would like to reach out to us on the phone. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and we are confidential and toll-free. On a call, we would be able to explore your options in more depth.

Stay strong,

NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X